4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 4:49 PM by Jean_Kurlm RSS

What size for OS/apps SSD and scratch disk SSD ?

Jean_Kurlm

Hi !

I need a SSD for my OS with the full CS6 Cloud and few others apps (but no games, pictures, songs or other personnal stuff),

that's mean between 70 and 80Gb. So I think I'll need only a 128Gb for that.

I also need a scratch disk, so despite I prefer a fast and large disk like the Barracuda 3Tb, I read it will be better to take a SSD.

My workstation is a 6x core, with 64Gb RAM, and 6x HDD for projects, render and footage (4K R3D and 1080p PRORES).

My questions are :

1) OS/apps SSD :

Even if I only need 80Gb (or a few more like 90Gb max) of storage, do I need to take more than 128Gb ?

Is it possible that the OS fill my disk with lots of temporary files ?

And the same for Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects or others apps ?

I know those apps will use the scratch disk, but maybe others temporary files will be write on this OS/apps drive ?

2) scratch disk SSD :

Like I said, I prefer larger drives, but as I understood, SSD will be better for preview and temp files,

and actually I'm working with 4K R3D footages and 1080p PRORES.

So do you think 128Gb will be enough for a scratch disk, to use with CS6, Blackmagic Resolve, and others 3D apps, like Maya ?

Of course I can empty them regularly.............. but is it enough ? Or 256Gb, or higher will be better ?

Or just a fast WD Velociraptor 1Tb or even a cheaper Barracuda 3Tb hard drive will be good enough ?

Thanks guys.

• 1. Re: What size for OS/apps SSD and scratch disk SSD ?
          Harm Millaard Community Member

Jean,

1. No, yes, yes, yes.

2. 256 GB SSD may be a better solution.

Do you tune your system to store temp files on a different disk, modify Windows system temp variables and how are your other 6 disks configured on what connections?

• 2. Re: What size for OS/apps SSD and scratch disk SSD ?
            Jean_Kurlm Community Member

Thanks for your fast reply.

But, I'm confused.... if the OS and the apps can fill my disk with lots of temp files, how a 128Gb can be enough ??

Maybe you mean that those apps will fill the SSD with "hidden" files, but not reach the limit of 128Gb ?

About Windows, I didn't knew I could make a scratch disk only for this temp files.

Do I have to put the Windows temp files in the scratch disk also ?

And you don't think a Velociraptor with 1Tb will be a good solution between the speed of a SSD and the size of a HDD ?

My drives (alone or in RAID 0) are directly connected from the motherboard P9X79 PRO, trought the X79 chipset, and the Marvell chipset.

But I read that the Marvell chipset has only 500Mb/s in total bandwitch divided between the 2 drives..... I'm not really sure....

but even if it's true, I don't think the OS/apps will take a lot of bandwitch (except when I'll start an apps),

and it will surelly let the full bandwitch for the scratch disk. Don't you think ?

4 drives are connected to the X79 chipset :

- 1x SATA 6Gb/s - Barracuda 3Tb (projects)

- 1x SATA 6Gb/s - Barracuda 3Tb (renders)

- 2x SATA 3Gb/s / RAID 0 - Barracuda 3Tb (footages)

2 drives will be connected to the Marvell chipset :

- 1x SATA 6Gb/s - SSD (OS/apps)

- 1x SATA 6Gb/s - SSD or HDD (scratch disk for CS6 and other "video" apps)

• 3. Re: What size for OS/apps SSD and scratch disk SSD ?
              Harm Millaard Community Member

I suggest the following modifications:

4 (don't you mean 6) drives are connected to the X79 chipset :

- 1x SATA 6Gb/s - Barracuda 3Tb (projects) - SSD (OS/apps)

- 1x SATA 6Gb/s - Barracuda 3Tb (renders)  - SSD or HDD

- 1x SATA 6Gb/s - SSD (OS/apps)  - Barracuda 3TB projects

- 1x SATA 6Gb/s - SSD or HDD (scratch disk for CS6 and other "video" apps) - Barracuda 3 TB renders

Don't you want a DVD or BD installed of your system?

• 4. Re: What size for OS/apps SSD and scratch disk SSD ?
                Jean_Kurlm Community Member

Ok..... on the project drives I only put CS6 files, and other apps projects, so it will be ok.

But I use also Autodesk Smoke for finishing, and on the render drive there is all my Smoke projects files,

but also all the proxy files it makes during the finishing (in PRORES or sometimes DPX).

That's why I thought to put it on a "single bandwith" X79 SATA6Gb/s.

But maybe 2 simple drives can't outperformed the 500Mb/s.

Ok, I will follow your suggestions.

But, if I'm wrong about the drive speed, and need a fast SATA for this Barracuda Smoke drive,

if I do like this, can it be good ?

6 drives are connected to the X79 chipset :

- 1x SATA 6Gb/s - SSD (OS/apps)

- 1x SATA 6Gb/s - Barracuda 3 TB (Smoke project with proxies)

- 1x SATA 6Gb/s - SSD or HDD (scratch disk)

- 1x SATA 6Gb/s - Barracuda 3 TB (CS6/apps projects)

I'd like a bluray also, but there is not enough SATA, so I think I'll take an external, like this one.

(about motherboard, I'm still hesitating between Rampage Extreme, P9X79 Pro and P9X79 Deluxe)

And about the Velociraptor as scratch, so it's definitely not a good idea ?  ; )