I just replied to your post on the HOF site. Here's what I suggested:
This is a common issue reported on the Adobe ColdFusion forums. The only solution I have found to work reliably for me (and I'm on the same OS and web server) is to make sure that the service account ColdFusion is running under is a member of the local Administrators group. You may also want to restart the ColdFusion service after putting the account in the Administrators group.
Once the updates are installed, remove the ColdFusion service from the Administrators group and restart the ColdFusion service.
There are several similar posts on this forum as well; you might want to check out what others have suggested.
Message was edited by: Carl Von Stetten
Thank you Carl. I tried having the service login with an account that is a member of the local administrators group, but that had no effect. I had initially searched for other posts, but was not successful. I will do some more hunting. Thanks.
1 person found this helpful
Thanks for your help. We have solved the issue, I will post the solution here if it helps anyone in the future. The error message logged in the hotfix log file (Eg: C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\hf-updates\hf-10-00007) is the following:
Failed to copy hotfix files:C:\Users\xxx\002873.tmp\dist\cfusion
Status: FATAL ERROR
Additional Notes: FATAL ERROR - Failed to copy the hotfix files to the target location:C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion
FATAL ERROR - C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\bin\coldfusion.exe (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)
Several blog posts refer to permission problems, such as making sure the account under which CF10 runs has local admin access, or that the cfusion directory have appropriate permissions. We had tried these solutions, and several variations without luck. We had also stopped all CF services and applied the HF manually but the same error persisted.
In our case, we renamed coldfusion.exe notated in the error log above, applied the hotfix, and everything worked. So, I don't believe it was really a permissions issue but rather (as the error log was trying to tell us), that the coldfusion.exe was in use.