5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 6:25 PM by PerryW RSS

Printer information not compatible

PerryW Community Member

Elements 11.0

Win7 Enterprise

1st Error msg: "The saved printer information is not compatible with this version od Photoshop Elements.... etc"

Followed by

2nd Error msg: "There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available... etc"

What have I tried?

Resetting preferences from Edit->Preferences->General   = No effect

Deleting ..adobe'photoshop elements\11 folder from appdata = No effect

Enviornment: I'm a long time CS user who has purchased Elements to go on a third PC so that I don't break licensing agreements. This PC is in an office running a Win 7 SOE that is locked down quite tightly (so I have no control over printer drivers) The base SOE is rolled out to over 2000 users. The printer driver concerned is an enterprise-wide Ricoh driver that sends to a 'follow-me' queue. There are many CS5, CS6 and earlier Elements users in the enterprise using this driver without issue - I believe I'm the first Elements 11 user. All other applications (inc Acrobat and Office 10 suite) print without issue. There are no other printer drivers allowed on the machine (big green policy thing here).

Workaround: Work in Elements, save to TIF, print from Gimp (or any other application). Not a good way to things, much hilarity at my expense from others in the office (mostly Mac users).

Clearly Elements is being a bit of a drama queen over this. Any idea for a fix?

• 1. Re: Printer information not compatible
          mytaxsite.co.uk CommunityMVP

Clearly Elements is being a bit of a drama queen over this. Any idea for a fix?

Apart from installing the latest printer drivers for Windows 7 the answer is emphatically NO.  You say "There are no other printer drivers allowed on the machine (big green policy thing here)." so this rules out almost any fixes available for your printer.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: Printer information not compatible
            PerryW Community Member

Ah... Should have mentioned - I have confirmed that the Ricoh driver is the latest version

• 3. Re: Printer information not compatible
              mytaxsite.co.uk CommunityMVP

How about first printing to a pdf file from PSE11 and then printing the resultant pdf file to your Ricoh printer.  Does this work?

Also, if you can't create a pdf file then try creating an XPS file by going to:

File >> Print >> select Microsoft XPS Document Writer

Microsoft Document Writer is in your Devices & Printers section.  See this picture:

http://tinyurl.com/b2vona6

Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: Printer information not compatible
                PerryW Community Member

No dice I'm afraid - Elements won't let me get that far. File --> Print --> ERROR

• 5. Re: Printer information not compatible
                  PerryW Community Member

However....  You've put me on the right track (so marked as Helpful)!

I'll post the fix here in case it's useful to anyone else

1. Change the default printer, in Windows, to MS XPS writer
                  2. Start Elements, create a new image, File -->print (elements was now able to offer me a print dialog)
                  3. In the Print dialog, change to the correct printer and print
                  4. Exit Elements change the default back to the original printer
                  5. Restart Elements - No errors

The obvious question is Why? Obviously there is nothing wrong with the driver, it now prints perfectly

I suspect a bug...