7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2013 6:40 PM by DavePinMinn RSS

Extremely slow import and no auto-update?

DavePinMinn Community Member

I'm using LR 4.3 on Windows 7, 64-bit.  It seems to work pretty well in Library and Develop and such, so I don't think there's a performance issue...

I have no idea what setting I"ve goofed up, but when I do a synchronize on a folder (may be 500 files or as few as 20), new files don't show up to be imported.  I can look at the folder and SEE the file.  It's there.  But, it's NOT in the library grid.  Synchronize does NOT see the file.  If I do an import (separate from Synchronize), the file usually shows up.  The file I can't see in the library shows up in the list with a checkmark, so it KNOWS it's not been imported.  At that point, I can go ahead and tell LR to add them and it's fine.

ALSO, when I add a keyword to a new file, it doesn't show up when I open the files for that keyword.  For example, I take a .dng file edit it, then finish in Photoshop.  Saving the file in Photoshop gets it back to LR.  I can see it in the files in Develop.  I can see it in the Library grid.  But it ISN'T in the keyword set.  Even if I ADD the keyword AGAIN, it STILL doesn't show up in the files for that keyword.  If I shut down Lightroom and restart it, THEN the file shows up in the keyword set.  Is there some "auto-update" setting I've messed up?  Something else?  This isn't another bizarre video driver thing is it?

• 1. Re: Extremely slow import and no auto-update?

I hate to be a nudge, but I just confirmed again that LR is indeed SOMETIMES not finding new images on Synchronize...  Last evening I took a .psd image from LR, sent it to PS CS6 as "original" to preserve the layers, altered it in PS, saved it as a NEW .psd file, which put it back in the same folder as a new file, and when I did a Synchronize on the folder it did not get found.  When I did an import on the folder, it DID get found and had a checkmark...  So, SOMETHING knows it's not in the catalog, but the Synchronize didn't...

Is there some setting somewhere?  Something I'm doing differently (I can't figure out what it could be since the file is THERE), or what?  Cosmic rays?  Poltergeist?  Bad karma?

I didn't do anything with keywords, but I suspect that's still acting odd too...

• 2. Re: Extremely slow import and no auto-update?
            web-weaver Community Member

"Poltergeist" is correct.

• 3. Re: Extremely slow import and no auto-update?

I'm running Lr 4.3 on Win 7 64-bit.

I just tested this. Did as you said. Opened a TIFF from Lr into CS5, did a <save as>

a) as Tiff with a new file name,

b) as PSD with a new file name.

Did <Synchronize folder> on return to Lr. It indicated correctly that there are two new files and imported them.

So, there must be a "Poltergeist" on your system. 

• 4. Re: Extremely slow import and no auto-update?

davepinminn wrote:

ALSO, when I add a keyword to a new file, it doesn't show up when I open the files for that keyword.  For example, I take a .dng file edit it, then finish in Photoshop.  Saving the file in Photoshop gets it back to LR.  I can see it in the files in Develop.  I can see it in the Library grid.  But it ISN'T in the keyword set.  Even if I ADD the keyword AGAIN, it STILL doesn't show up in the files for that keyword.  If I shut down Lightroom and restart it, THEN the file shows up in the keyword set.  Is there some "auto-update" setting I've messed up?  Something else?  This isn't another bizarre video driver thing is it?

Yes, there is something going on here.

I tried this procedure with TIFFs, DNGs, and PSDs. Opened them from Lr via <Edit original> in CS5. Added a keyword in CS5 and saved the file (not "save as"!).

I could reproduce the error that the keyword created in CS5 doesn't show in Lr with PSDs only. And, this is the strange thing, it happens only once in a while, not every time.

And further, when the keyword did not show up, I got the "metadata conflict" warning, and - upon doing a <read metadata from file> - the keyword showed up.

This is a strange result, not only because of its intermittant happening but also for this reason: CS5 writes the keyword in the (header of the) file. Normally, I would expect that (a) Lr doesn't display the keyword without doing a <read metadata from file>, and (b) that the "metadata conflict" warning appears.

I don't have an explanation.

I would suggest to you that you don't add keywords in Photoshop.

• 5. Re: Extremely slow import and no auto-update?

Further to my previous post:

With DNGs the situation is a bit different, since Photoshop doesn't save as DNG. At least my CS5 doesn't.

So when opening a DNG in Photoshop, adding a keyword and >save>, the keyword is added to the PSD, and it shows in Lr for the PSD.

• 6. Re: Extremely slow import and no auto-update?

OK, FIRST, I'm good with poltergeist!  I have NO IDEA what I've done to LR.  It's not a new install, nothing (as far as I know) has been updated or fiddled with...  It worked, I swear, or I would have noticed the odd behavior a lot earlier!

I'm reluctant to associate this with .psd files, but I haven't created any .tif or new .dng files in the last week...  I've had new .tif files created by HDR Efex Pro 2 and/or Silver Efex, and both of those showed up in the stack with the original .dng file in LR.  But, recently I've been having to send .psd files repeatedly into CS6 from LR, making changes to various layers (They're for a client that keeps changing her mind), and when I save the .psd file with a new name it doesn't APPEAR to show up in the Synchronize.  There may be other things that'll cause it too, but that seems to be what I'm seeing at the moment.  AND, to make it more bizarre, it doesn't appear to happen every time, but in some cases I may be doing a SAVE instead of a SAVE AS.

As far as the keywords, I never add them from CS6.  I have a .dng file in LR.  It has keywords.  I send it to CS6 for editing, then I save the .psd file from CS6.  In the past, I believe all the keywords that were in the .dng file are now in the .psd file I saved.  It appears to STILL be that way.  BUT, when I select a keyword in the files, I see the previous files -maybe a .dng, a .tif, whatever.  BUT, the .psd file I just saved in CS6 isn't in the set I opened.  I can go to the grid view in the Library and the file is there so it's in LR, AND if I select the file I can see the checkmark next to the keyword.  But, if I select the keyword, that file doesn't display in the set...  BUT, if I CLOSE LR and reopen it, so far, when I select the set of files with the keyword, the offending file is now displayed in the set........

I don't know that I've ever done edits the way I've been doing these - where I repeatedly open a .psd and make changes, then save, then open it, make changes, and on and on.  BUT, is there any way THIS can be causing the problem - I have a file in the develop module abc.dng.  I also have abc.psd because I previously edited it in CS6 and saved abc.  I need to make more changes, so I tell LR to Edit in CS6 and use the original.  BUT THE ORIGINAL IS STILL SITTING IN CS6, so I get sent to CS6, but the file doesn't get reopened or replaced, right?  In CS6, I make changes and either do a SAVE 'cause I just want the file I had, OR I make changes I want to save as a new file and SAVE AS  abc_2.psd...  I just tried this, and LR get the updated file.  I ALSO tried just going to CS6 and changing the file without telling LR ANYTHING and saving it with the same name as the existing file.  LR still got the updated file...  So, it doesn't appear that either of THOSE cause LR not to find the file.  And yet, SOMETHING I'm doing ends up with a file in the folder that LR doesn't know about, that it doesn't find in the Synchronize...

Like I said, poltergeist.

But, I have a workaround, so as long as I can do an import and find all the files, I can still do stuff...  Same for the keywords, but it is odd...

• 7. Re: Extremely slow import and no auto-update?

OK, y'all IT'S DOING IT AGAIN!

For no reason I can figure out, LR keywords are NOT seeing images coming back from Photoshop again. 

I send a .dng file form LR into Photoshop for editing.  When I'm done I do a save As, and save a .psd file.  JUST LIKE ALWAYS............

It gets put in it's regular folder and the file is THERE.  If I look at the keywords for THAT file from the folder it shows up with a check mark. 

BUT, if I select all the files for the keyword THAT file does not show up...  The COUNT says it's there, but the thumbnail ISN'T.

I have to shut down LR and restart it for the file to show up in the keyword set........

This has been going on for a while, so can SOMEBODY give me an answer on this?