5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 9:18 AM by Hookler_P

Enumeration in running head

Hookler_P

In InDesign CS6 I want du write my study examination, so I need a running head WITH an enumeration. But also I get the headline in the running head and not the enumeration.....What can I do ?

• 1. Re: Enumeration in running head
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't mean to insult you here, your English is quite good, but I'm having difficulty figuring out from your description what you mean by enumeration. Is that a page number that you want to include in your header, or are you working with some sort of numbered list for your headings that you are picking up with a variable and the number is not being included?

Can you show us a screen capture, perhaps, and indicate where you'd like to see a number? You can embed an image in your post by using the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 2. Re: Enumeration in running head
            Hookler_P Level 1

Ok sorry about my difficult description.

So at first I have some paragraph styles in my document with a setting in bullets and numbering like this

Bildschirmfoto 2013-02-07 um 13.51.16.png

Then my text is showing like this

Bildschirmfoto 2013-02-07 um 13.51.38.png

But in the running head there is a gap....there is no numbering...:(

Bildschirmfoto 2013-02-07 um 14.07.20.png

I have done yesterday so much....but nothing runs....like:

Convert Bullets and Numbering to text....but if I add a new page with an other headline the enumerations doesn't confirm any more....

• 3. Re: Enumeration in running head
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK. I think this is going to be difficult to resolve using ID's native variables. You might want to check the Power Headers plugin from In-Tools.com and see if that has an option to include the paragraph number for automatic numbered paragraphs. I suspect there's a free trial, if it does.

The only other option I can think of is a more manual approach, and no better than converting the numbers to text, except that it allows you to keep the auto-numbering and see when you need to fix something. To do this you would add a new text frame on your page and in a new paragraph style type the text you want to appear in the header (you can anchor this frame to the current header so it flows with the text). This new frame must be set to NON_PRINTING in the Attributes panel, and I like to make the text an obvious red color in the paragraph style so it jumps off the page to remind you it's there. Use this paragraph style instead of the actual heading style when defining the variable.

Actually that's not the only option I can think of. If you can wait until editing is done, I think converting the numbering to text would work OK without doing anything else. The missing numbers should suddenly appear in the page headers once the conversion is complete.

• 4. Re: Enumeration in running head
                peter minneapolis Level 4

In addition to Peter S's suggestion to look into the Power Headers plug-in, be certain to post a formal feature enhancement request here: Wishform. The more requests, the more likely that the feature or enhancement will appear in some future InDesign release.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 5. Re: Enumeration in running head
                  Hookler_P Level 1

Thanks I will try it