5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 4:49 PM by areohbee

Background not quite white

james_dean1986 Level 1

Got a slight issue and not sure what the best solution is as im not used to processing this kind of shoot.

I have been given  3000+ head shots that were all shot on a white background. First image had a white balance reference which I have applied to all images.

The issue is the background is pure white around the chest to neck area but as you go higher to the hair and above the head, its fractionally off white (247,247,247). You mainly notice when the image is placecd on a white background but these are to go on a webiste that has a white background.

What is the best way to make the whole background white without effecting the colour of the subject?

Cheers,

James

• 1. Re: Background not quite white
          areohbee Level 6

Harder to get clipped whites in PV2012 due to design (auto-recovery of highlights), but if you bump the whites slider you can clip more, then if not enough, you'll have to paint the rest (e.g. high exposure).

You may be able to use PV2010 to more readily achieve all-white background without painting, but note: your subjects hair won't look as nice around the periphery...

Note: max exposure around the outside edges will work just fine, but if you need to paint closer to the models, you can ease off the exposure, and crank highlights and/or contrast up instead, which will assure darker hair and such does not get over-exposed. Worth trying auto-mask too, although it doesn't always work so good.

Cheers,

Rob

• 2. Re: Background not quite white
            james_dean1986 Level 1

Hi Rob,

I use Photoshop and Camera RAW quite a bit, everyday infact, but I have no idea what PV2012 or PV2010 is? Is it to do with Lightroom?

Cheers,
            James

• 3. Re: Background not quite white
              areohbee Level 6

PV = Process Version, - applies to ACR too.

PV2012 is the current version, and PV2010 is a few years old now...

Check near the camera calibration section.

• 4. Re: Background not quite white
                james_dean1986 Level 1

Found under the calibration tabs as you suggested, there is 2010 or 2003 available. Admittedly I need to update the version but these are the sliders available.

Screen Grab.jpg

• 5. Re: Background not quite white
                  areohbee Level 6

Yep - you have found it. I assumed (wrongly) you were using the most recent version of ACR.

Consider upgrading to v7.3.

If you continue with current version, then there will be no "whites" adjustment, nor brushable "highlights", but the rest of what I said previously still applies (paint with +exposure and/or +contrast to drive the stubborn parts of background the rest of the way to clipping.

Obviously (or not), the other option is to use Photoshop's other "pixel" masking tools, instead of Camera Raw.

Rob