15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2013 6:46 AM by PceCorpsGeorgia

Massive But Achievable Project

PceCorpsGeorgia

So ya'll I'm going to be needing help fairly consistently in the near future.  I would really appreciate it.  So right now I am a Peace Corps volunteer in Georgia.  One of the projects we have been doing is an English Resource book.  The TEFL Resource book gets changed slightly every year.  The person who did the changes last year used InDesign and the free trial just as I am doing now.  That being said, I am not super techy, I don't know about sorces and encrypting things and such, but I am more techy than everybody on the committee (for editing this book).  I will need a fair amount of help, and once again I would really appreciate any feedback to my questions.  So lets get started.

First, is InDesign the easiest way for me to subtle changes to this little (smaller size) 190 page book (which we will print out, bind, and give to all new volunteers)?  Or is there another program that can edit PDFs in a more simple manner?

Well second I will hold off for now.  Having issues opening the file or getting it into InDesign but I am looking through plug-ins atm.  I will come back with another question if I cannot solve this.

Thanks again ya'll.

• 1. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
          MW Design Level 4

One doesn't edit PDFs (per se). Open the native InDesign file (ends with .indd).

Take care, Mike

• 2. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
            PceCorpsGeorgia Level 1

OKAY.  So new question is that the book is in PDF format (aka it is a .pdf and not a .indd) but I don't know how to import all of it into InDesign.  Where/how do I do that?  Thanks again for any help and I appreciate ya'll be patient and helpful with me.

• 3. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
              MW Design Level 4

A PDF was never meant to be other than a fixed and final format. However, there are a couple plug-ins one can purchase that can get the PDF into ID for editing.

If the previous person is still available to contact, I would first contact them for obtaining the original ID file(s) used for the publication.

That said, is the publication mainly text? Sounds like it. If so, you can export the text out of the PDF using Acrobat and recreate an ID file. You should also be able to sopy and paste the text into either ID or another application such as LibreOffice (free, OpenSource word processor) and place the text into ID.

Failing those options, do you have a link to the PDF (does it reside on a web site)? If so, link to it here and someone can review it and be better able to recommend a path to getting it into ID.

Mike

• 4. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
                Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

The person who did the changes last year used InDesign and the free trial just as I am doing now.

You must get the original .indd document files and any associated graphics picture files from the person who did it last year. The PDF files just won't do. They are not meant to be editable. You do not import the finished PDF into InDesign in order to edit it further. You may as well begin from scratch all over again.

• 5. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
                  MW Design Level 4

Sorry. But even with a  image on each page, I can reconstruct that length of pdf into ID in two hours or less. As long as the text is obtainable from the pdf, it is reasonably quicker than from scratch.

Mike

• 6. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
                    Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

Don't take me literally, Mike. If the document was originally an indd file, by far, the better use of time is to get that original and proceed with new edits. You and I know anything CAN be done, but ...

• 7. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
                      PceCorpsGeorgia Level 1

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback.  And keep coming back, I'm sure I will have more questions.  My director has the .indd file and will send it to me tomorrow so I will be able to start editing. 

• 8. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
                        MW Design Level 4

Hi Michael , agreed. Which is why I also mentioned trying to obtain the .indd file. Failing that, though, this particular document wouldn't have been onerous to reconstruct with the pdf.

Mike

• 9. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
                          Bo LeBeau Level 4

Keep in mind that the trial version only lasts 30 days. After 30 days the trial won't work and you won't be able to open the files you produced.

When did you first install the trial? The clock is ticking.

If you need to edit the files after 30 days, you can get a month to month (or yearly) subscription to the Adobe Creative Cloud.

This will give you the entire Creative Suite. They don't do subscriptions for just individual applications.

• 10. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
                            PceCorpsGeorgia Level 1

So my task isn't seeming as daunting as it first did.  Most of what I am working with is single layer text stuff.  There are some multi layered complex pages, but for the most part I am not changing those.  I still have 14 days left on my free trial but I have stumbled upon another issue...

Okay, NEW Frustration.  So there is this autoformating thing where the first letter of the first sentence of a paragraph is bigger and bolded.  The rest of the text is nice and goes on the right of it and under it, and with 15 minutes of searching I found a way to get the first letter of following paragraphs to not do this but I found another spot later where I am having the same issue and I cannot remember how I did it before.  How to I just get the text to be completely normal?

• 11. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
                              MW Design Level 4

Hey, Peace--nice to see you back.

Probably the larger, bolder first character is a drop cap. If you have been using pragraph styles, see what style is highlighted when you click into an offending paragraph in the paragraph style panel, double click on the style and on the left you can see the section for drop caps.

If you or the previous person are doing a bunch of local formatting and the bigger, bolder first character was simply highlighted and the size/attribute was changed, click into a paragraph, hold alt and click on the style highlighted in the paragraph styles panel. This should clear the local style override.

Mike

• 12. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
                                PceCorpsGeorgia Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply Mike.  That helped and is generally useful. 

• 13. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
                                  PceCorpsGeorgia Level 1

Okay, NEW ISSUE, so there is this page with a chart that we want to take out.  I have deleted the chart completely but when I try back spacing to get things onto the page it will skip the page and go to a previous page.  I can't paste on it.  I have deleted the box for the text or whatever but it doesn't go anywhere.  I have also tried deleting the page from the pages menu.  I can't get past this page.  I can't put the things that need to be on it.  I don't know what to do.  Thanks in advance.

• 14. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
                                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like there's a break character of some type in there.

Type > Show Hidden Characters and see if anything is there.

Bob

• 15. Re: Massive But Achievable Project
                                      PceCorpsGeorgia Level 1

Never Mind.  I just killed it.  I rock.  That took me way longer than it should have lol