9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2013 4:56 PM by terpsichorian

Can't read NEF files in PS CS4 w/ Nikon D600

terpsichorian

Have new Nikon D600 and CS 4; read Adobe Camera Raw 7.2 is the one to download. Did that but still can't read my NEF files. Is there another version i should be using? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can't read NEF files in PS CS4 w/ Nikon D600
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

There is no Camera Raw plug-in update that will allow you to read the D600 in Photoshop CS4.

You will need to either download the free DNG Converter (version 7.3 is available in the Downloads section) or update to Photoshop CS6.

Note, there is no upgrade pricing to go from CS4 to CS6. Adobe started a one version back upgrade policy, so the earliest CS version you can get upgrade pricing on CS6 is CS5.

• 2. Re: Can't read NEF files in PS CS4 w/ Nikon D600
            Bo LeBeau Level 4

Specific versions of ACR only work with certain versions of Photoshop.

The ACR 7.2 will only work with CS6.

You should remove ACR 7.2 for your CS4 because it will never work. Also having more than one version of ACR can screw things up.

Do you still the ACR of CS4? I believe that 5.7 is the newest that works with CS4.

You can download this from Adobe but read carefully all the instructions.

Older verions of ACR are never updated to deal with newer cameras.

To be able to open your Nikon D600 NEFs you have to use a slight workaround.

Download Adobe DNG Converter 7.3 (note DNG not ACR)

With this installed you can convert your new NEFs for your D600 into the Digital Negative Format (DNG) which then can be opened in older versions of ACR like yours.

Its a 2 step process, but it is the only way when dealing with newer cameras and older version of Photoshop.

Note that in the DNG converter you convert the folder that contains the NEFs rather than attempting to convert a single NEF.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can't read NEF files in PS CS4 w/ Nikon D600
              terpsichorian Level 1

thanks, Bo.

I downloaded and installed Adobe DNG Converter 7.3.

I still get at window titiled 'Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended' and a message: "could not complete your request because of a probram error." the CS4 program is all updated. Any other suggestions?

• 4. Re: Can't read NEF files in PS CS4 w/ Nikon D600
                web-weaver Level 5

Installing the Adobe DNG Converter 7.3 alone does not make CS4 read your D600 files. You need to convert the NEFs to DNGs and then open the DNGs in CS4.

BTW, Lightroom 4.3 reads D6oo NEFs.

Message was edited by: web-weaver

• 5. Re: Can't read NEF files in PS CS4 w/ Nikon D600
                  Bo LeBeau Level 4

Are you opening the Adobe DNG Converter 7.3 and pointing it to a folder that contains your D600 NEFs?

Point it at the NEFs folder not at Photoshop CS4

After converting the NEFs to DNGs either double click the DNG or use Photoshop CS4 File-Open and open a DNG.

dng_convert.jpg

• 6. Re: Can't read NEF files in PS CS4 w/ Nikon D600
                    terpsichorian Level 1

See, Bo? You caught on to my denseness! (blushing here) Honestly I thought once installed it would work when I clicked on my photo file. Following your directions I have succeeded! Well, nearly. for some reason it says it has converted all the files but it hasn't. I'm thinking there isn't a limit to the folder size. Any suggestions as to where i should look to find the pictures DNG files that I currently  can not see?

Many, many thanks,

Paula

• 7. Re: Can't read NEF files in PS CS4 w/ Nikon D600
                      terpsichorian Level 1

Solved that by putting the seemingly unconverted files in a separate file then converted those and now have them.

Too bad they don't intersperse themselves among the originals, it would be nice. Tomorrow I'll convert the rest of the files and can begin work on the pictures so I can do something with them!

Thank you again you've been a really, really great help!

Any other advice? i'll check back tomorrow.

Cheers,

Paula

• 8. Re: Can't read NEF files in PS CS4 w/ Nikon D600
                        Bo LeBeau Level 4

How do you like your new Nikon D600?

I'm green with envy!

• 9. Re: Can't read NEF files in PS CS4 w/ Nikon D600
                          terpsichorian Level 1

it is really so new to me but I took it on a 3 week trip to SE Asia and absolutely loved it. Replaces my Nikon D80. haven't used the full frame lenses yet thought I'd try them at home first.

I really can't thank you enough for your help. think I've finally figured out the system (took a bit to realize they were renumbered). Sometimes I'm a little slow but when I get it....

How do I mark this as "solved"? I want you to get all the credit you can from Adobe.

Cheers,

Paula