15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2013 10:15 AM by DVDmike RSS

AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file

DVDmike Community Member

ae error3.JPGI am not even using dynamic link in this project and it is crashing trying to do something with preiemer, which I did NOT open.

ae error2.JPG

I've got 18GB of ram and my system is currently useing 3GB of ram, what is going on?

• 1. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file
          Todd_Kopriva Adobe Employee

What exact version of After Effects? I.e., have you isntalled all of the most recent updates?

Does this only happen with this PSD file, or does it happen with all PSD files?

In general, when asking questions here, please provide answers to the questions listed here: "FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?"

• 2. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file
            Dave LaRonde Community Member

Sorry, but your screen shots aren't very helpful.

We don't know which AE version you're using.

We don't know about your specific OS version.

We don't know about the processors in your machine.

We don't know how you allocated memory & processors.

We don't know how you've modified your preferences.

We don't know about any third-party cards in your machine.

We don't know the amount of memory in your machine.

We don't know about the nature of the footage you're using.

We don't know what you're doing in your project.

Any one of them -- or a combination of them -- can be factors in your woes.

• 3. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file
              DVDmike Community Member

We don't know which AE version you're using   Really??? By AE 6 I meant AE with CS6, is anyone really using the old AE 6 before CS started and has 18GB of ram?  I am sorry that I was not clear enough on that  But I think this should have been obvious that it was CS6 since I said that my project had nothing to do with dynamic link.  I don't remember dynamic link until the CS versions started.

The most recent updates were all installed, I am on the monthly subscription.

Win 7 64 18GB RAM, any allocation of memory, all have the same problem.  Ive got a 6 core intel processor 980x.  Hyperthreading is on.  No third party cards, just geforce GTX 285

We don't know about the nature of the footage you're usingWe don't know what you're doing in your project.

You know what I am doing exactly in my project, I am trying to import a 64KB .psd file.  Its  240x72 pixels. I am doing NOTHING in the project except trying to import that file.  What difference does it make what I intend to do with my project if I cannot even import a file?

---------------------

I tried uninstalling Premier Pro entirely and I still get the premiere pro error message!

Does this only happen with this PSD file, or does it happen with all PSD files?  Good question, I did not try any others and I probably should have.  After the reboot I will try.  That one .psd file only has one layer, it is really nothing special.  But I will try with others if the reinstall does not work.

Now I have uninstalled AE and I will reboot, re-download, reinstall and try again.

• 4. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file

Regarding the exact version number, I was asking about 11.0.0 versus 11.0.1, 11.0.2, etc.

Please answer that question.

• 5. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file
                  DVDmike Community Member

Yes Todd a legitimate question.  I was on 11.02.  I keep the adobe application manager up to date generaly.  I was referring to the guy who asked me what AE version I was on after you had already asked my what specific version was.  Its like he has a set list of questions that he is ready to post at a moments notice or something.

Anyway, I reinstalled AE back up to 11.02

Started a new project and tried to import that file, not enough memory error again.

After crash, I opened the empty project and import a .png file, no problems with it.

Next I imported another small and different .psd file that I just created in photoshop and saved to a different disk and I comes up with the dynamic link premiere pro CS6 error again.  And remember, I do NOT have PPro CS6 installed any more on my machine.

So I open op AE again, this time I import other jpg files and png files fine.  No errors.  But as soon as I try to open a .psd file I get AE not enough memory to initialize PSL. And remember this .psd files are small, less than 300KB.  Obviously, its trying to do something different with .psd files than other still files.  And again, this is a project with only a few still files and a 720x480 comp with no layers at this point.

I have not used AE in a few months, so I have no idea what has happened or when it may have happened.  I had used PPro a few weeks ago and it was running fine. 

I have trid this before with multi processor on or off.  I have tried limiting the CPU and memory too.

• 6. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file
                    Mylenium ACP/MVPs

Could be anyrthing from layer styles to smart objects to font issues. Impossible to tell without seeing the PSD file. I have the error in my database, but noone ever was able to provide a good explanation for it, so the info there is not much use, I'm afraid.

http://myleniumerrors.com/2010/07/26/83-3-3/

Provide one of the files and we may be able to figure it out.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file
                      DVDmike Community Member

The .psd files are just simple 8 bit RGB image files, one layer flattened, no text, no smart objects.  You can literally take any RGB 8 bit Photoshop file, flatten it and and save it and it will produce this error on my system when I try to import it into a new AE CS6 project.

In your link, it is mentioned to try and reinstall QuickTime.  I will try this.  But since the error is on a native win 7 64 bit os, it does not have to do with converting to and from 32 bit vs 64 bit.

Meanwhile, I will just convert my .psd files to ,jpg.  But this is not a good option as I do like to sometimes use even layered photoshop files in AE projects.

• 8. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file
                        Mylenium ACP/MVPs

Sounds weird. Could it be that some security tool is blocking the relevant DLL because at some point there was a malicious file with the PSD extension? Otherwise I could only imagine an issue in the PSD loader itself due to a specific system (non-Adobe) being MIA. On coreXi processors this could be critical due to the Turboboost and Hyperthreading stuff. Could be some trivial routine/ function.... Check the device manager whether all your motherboard and processor drivers are installed correctly. also, since PSDs always use color profile information, you might want to check your system's color settings. You could have a damaged color profile somewhere and the PSDs could reference it, causing the crash.

Mylenium

• 9. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file
                          DVDmike Community Member

Thanks, so far, no conflicts reporting.  Not sure what to do if it is a color profile.  I tried reinstalling QT too.  Maybe I will try turning off hyperthreading.

• 10. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file

Maybe I will try turning off hyperthreading.

Oh, yes, do so.  Hyperthreading can impede AE capabilities.

• 11. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file
                              DVDmike Community Member

Hyperthreading off did not help.

I had uninstalled PPro CS6, thinking that the ppro error would be eliminated.  But now I want to install it back again and cannot.  The Adobe Application Manager says its up to do.  Just stupid.  I did not uninstall Encore and its part of the "family" so it thinks PPro is installed.  What next, do I have to uninstall Encore in order for the application manager to realize the PPro is not installed?

• 12. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file

You need to uninstall all components of the creative suite, and it's ALWAYS a good idea to run the Adobe Cleaner application for creative suite.  Then everything's gone for sure and you'll get a good, solid reinstall.

You can read up on it and download it here.

• 13. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file

I've asked one of the software engineers to look at this thread. It'll probably be Monday before he does, of course.

• 14. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file

Unfortunately, the only way to try to get you back into a good working state is somewhat inconvenient: I recommend uninstallingly the entire CS6 suite, running the cleaner tool, and then re-installing. Then choose Help > Updates to install the updates, and then try again.

If you get the crash again, send a crash log. Here is a thread by one of my coworkers on the Audition team about how to do that:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3909313

• 15. Re: AE 6 crashing after trying to import a 64KB .psd file
                                      DVDmike Community Member

Thanks Todd.  On Sunday, I uninstalled the entire suite, keeping my preferences.  Note that I am using the creative cloud system.  Also note that I did NOT uninstall Lightroom 4.3.  I had purchased this separately prior to it being offered by the cloud subscription.  After the uninstall, I ran the cleaner tool.  It didn't find anything to remove as far as I can tell.

Then I used the cloud to install AE only and tried it out and still had the error importing only .psd files.  So I reinstalled Photoshop and premiere/encore and these programs and ran all of the updates for them.  I again still had the problem with after-effects.

I'll see about providing a crash log.