4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2013 10:31 AM by Joel Cherney

How do I move text farther away from a text-wrapped bound box?

jacquesrbj

This shouldn't be too difficult of a question so hopefully you guys can help me out. I have put a rectangle-shaped box inside of three columns of text. The text is spaced apart perfectly on each side of the box except for the right side, where the text is touching the box. I've tried multiple solutions but none are working for me. So if anyone can help me with nudging this text over, I would greatly appreciate it. Here is a picture in case my description was confusing. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I'm also having a little trouble getting the text right inside the box (it's also too close to the edges). InDesign is not my forte haha

• 2. Re: How do I move text farther away from a text-wrapped bound box?
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you put it in or on top of the main body text frame? Next time you take a screenshot for these forums, I'd suggest making sure that you're in View -> Screen Mode -> Normal and that View -> Extras -> Show Frame Edges is on. It makes it easier (for us, and potentially for you) to see what you are doing.

Anyhow, the way to change the distance of the reversed white text from the edges of its frame would be to use frame inset spacing. Select the frame with the selection tool (the black pointer) and then either whack control-B or right-click and go to Text Frame Options. That will let you add a little invisible border to push the text away from the inside of the frame.

In order to get the text to the right of the callout to sit further away, there are a few different ways to go about it, but it's hard to suggest one unless we know how your document is constructed. Do you have one frame with three columns in it? Or are the three columns of text three separate frames?

• 3. Re: How do I move text farther away from a text-wrapped bound box?
            jacquesrbj Level 1

Thanks a lot for your response and I kind of realized that this wasn't the best picture after I submitted it. But anyway, here is the entire document:

Screen Shot 2013-02-07 at 7.07.56 PM.png

• 4. Re: How do I move text farther away from a text-wrapped bound box?
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It looks for all the world like you have a text wrap applied to your callout. Did you maybe start this project with a template? Because I can't think of any way for you to have achieved that effect without knowing a lot more than you claim to know about InDesign.

If you select your blue callout with the selection tool (the black pointer) and open up the Text Wrap panel (Window -> Text Wrap) then what do you see?

1.png

If I'm right, then you can just use this tool to increase the runaround on your callout:

2.png

But text wrap would ordinarily force the text inside the callout to disappear unless you (or someone) had checked the "Ignore Text Wrap" box in the text frame properties:

3.png

1 person found this helpful