9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2013 11:25 AM by BobLevine

Absolute vs Relative file paths in CS6 8.01?

1027Consulting Level 1

I have been using this same setup successfully for a couple of years now. I work on a magazine. The indd files and all the photos, etc are in a Dropbox. I layout the publication and then the editor can open the document when I am done for proofreading etc. It has worked out great.

Until today. I just finished the latest issue. The editor opened it and was presented with a dialog box stating that there were 179 missing links. I don't get this message when I open the file.

It would appear that indesign is now using absolute file paths? Anyone else seeing this? I believe they were relative paths before.

If so, is there a way to quickly locate all the files? They are all nested 2-3 levels deep into individual folders for each article.

• 1. Re: Absolute vs Relative file paths in CS6 8.01?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Select all of the links in the links panel and open the panel menu. Choose utilities>copy links to> and copy the links to a folder that's accessible to the editor in the DB folder.

Make sure to save the INDD file afterward. You may have to use file>save as.

Bob

• 2. Re: Absolute vs Relative file paths in CS6 8.01?
            1027Consulting Level 1

The problem with that is we would then loose the folder structure - which must be maintained.

As I said this has worked flawlessly for the past two years. The last issue was done in late November. Have there been any ID updates lately?

What's interesting is the file paths:

File shows linked when I open the INDD file and it's Full Path is:

/Volumes/Big Jobs/Dropbox/BAG Graphics/2013/2013-1 Spring/Articles/David Swendseid Project X part II/1- ARRIVAL .JPG

The styled path:

Big Jobs:Dropbox:BAG Graphics:2013:2013-1 Spring:Articles:David Swendseid Project X part II:1- ARRIVAL .JPG

On a file that the Editor linked (His name is Mark with a K; mine is Marc with a C) the full path:

/Users/mark/Dropbox/bass angler/2013/2013-1 Spring/Advertisements/Yamamoto-spring13.pdf

styled path:

Marcs MBP:Users:mark:Dropbox:bass angler:2013:2013-1 Spring:Advertisements:Yamamoto-spring13.pdf

Why does it think that "Mark" is a user on my system?

• 3. Re: Absolute vs Relative file paths in CS6 8.01?

I have no idea what the deal is there but I can tell you without any

doubt that I move from Mac to Windows and back again through Dropbox

without any linking issues at all.

Whatever the problem you're having, it appears to be local. There are a

lot of people using this workflow and you're the first that I've seen

report this kind of problem.

Are you absolutely certain that the linked files are in the Dropbox

folder structure?

Bob

• 4. Re: Absolute vs Relative file paths in CS6 8.01?
                1027Consulting Level 1

Yes, all the files are in the DropBox (that's where I link to and where the INDD file resides).

• 5. Re: Absolute vs Relative file paths in CS6 8.01?

What is the path showing as on the editor's machine for the missing links?

Bob

• 6. Re: Absolute vs Relative file paths in CS6 8.01?
                    1027Consulting Level 1

The paths on his side show the same way as in my post above.

I am changing the name of my drop box (BAG Graphics) to match his (Bass Angler) to see if that has any impact. Currently waiting for DropBox to finish updating.

Don't see how that will make any difference as the names have both been in place for at least a year if not more.

• 7. Re: Absolute vs Relative file paths in CS6 8.01?

Something went wonky on you somewhere. But again, this certainly doesn't

strike me as InDesign issue.

Bob

• 8. Re: Absolute vs Relative file paths in CS6 8.01?
                        1027Consulting Level 1

Well now this is interesting. Changing the names of the Dropbox made no difference.

Basically what we were dealing with was 175 images that would not show up as linked on each other's machine. If I linked them, then he saw them as unlinked and vice-versa. There were two images that were fine. Showed up in both places as linked. Totally different file paths from the other 175.

I tried doing a "Save As". No difference.

I saved the file as a idml (CS4 compatible) file. When I did that I was showing 150 unlinked images. Closed the INDD file and opened the idml file. Chewed on it for a long time... Finally opened with ZERO, yes zero missing links!! Saved the file as a INDD CS6 document and had the editor open it. 2 missing links - the two that were fine before!

Guessing at this point that something in the original CS6 file was wonky and that by doing the idml route it cleaned up the code.

Thanks for walking me through the issues.

• 9. Re: Absolute vs Relative file paths in CS6 8.01?

Ain't technology fun?

Bob