3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2013 6:02 PM by kglad

Symbol width limitation?

DishesAreDoneMan

Hello, this may seem like a basic question for some, but I'm wondering why it seems I can't make a symbol as long as I want? The scroll bars only go so far. When I zoom out I can clearly see the stage grid going out to 21,000 pixels but I'm maxed out at 2250h x 6500w. This isn't the Document size, so how do I make this boundary larger? I have one symbol that has a lot of scenery that I would like to tween across the stage, but I quickly run out of usable screen realestate to make my symbol long enough. Is it a technical reason to limit symbol size, for render speed or something? I could split my symbol and tween the sections across the stage one-by-one, but that means more layers and more symbols when these can all be combined and tweened as a single symbol.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Symbol width limitation?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

your limited to about 419,413 px. use the properties panel to extend your object efficiently.

• 2. Re: Symbol width limitation?
            DishesAreDoneMan Level 1

Thanks for the reply, but by my calculation I have over 28,000,000 usable pixels for any object (8150 x 3575) while my document is 3016 x 2016, though ideally I could make that smaller too. While I don't know exaclty how to put your advice into action, I do see that I can make my document very wide and it will give me far more usable space, and I can change it back when ready to publish, but that seems incredibly clumsy for something so simple. I don't really need any more Document space, what I need is for that light gray area around the Document to be the whole size of my file window so I can make the content within my symbols larger. The Frame I think this might be called. Any ideas how to make the Frame larger? See "Show Frame" under View > Magnification.

• 3. Re: Symbol width limitation?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

create you object and then click view>magnification>show all.