10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2013 4:26 PM by RodWard

Cap 6 Audio Recording

debgok Level 1

Ever since I went to Windows 7, I cannot capture voice recording at a high enough level in Captivate.  Captivate seems to lower the level -- after recording a slide, I return to the Sound Control panel and it has been adjusted back down from 100 to 12.  It comes in very low compared to other audio.  Captivate 6 doesn't seem to solve this problem.  Is there another software I can use for audio recording and then import into Captivate?  What would you recommend?

• 1. Re: Cap 6 Audio Recording
          Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm using Audition to capture voice overs, and import the audio clips into Captivate. In the eLearning Suite there is even roundtripping between Cp and Au. But Audacity works fine as well, free alternative

Lilybiri

• 2. Re: Cap 6 Audio Recording
            RodWard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What kind of microphone are you using here?  I use USB microphones to record voiceover for Captivate and if I have my pre-amplifier gain setting in Cp at more than 1 with either of the mics I use I find it too loud.  Where are you setting 100 as a value?

• 3. Re: Cap 6 Audio Recording
              debgok Level 1

The 100 value is actually in the Windows sound control panel.  Captivate seems to interact with that control panel.  There is a checkbox option in the control panel on the Advanced tab:  "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" -- I have played with turning this option on/off, but it does not seem to change the fact that Captivate resets the volume on the Levels Tab of the control panel (it's got a scale of 1-100 and it it always gets lowered to 12 after I hit the record button in Captivate).

• 4. Re: Cap 6 Audio Recording
                Sreekanth_S Most Valuable Participant

We generally use the default recorder within Captivate and it works fine for us. Occassionally, we use Audacity and import the files into Captivate. The sound quality is pretty good on this as well.

• 5. Re: Cap 6 Audio Recording

You should be managing the gain levels in the Audio Settings dialog inside Captivate, not in the Windows Sound Control Panel. 

Find a setting for the pre-amp there that gives enough volume and stick with that.

• 6. Re: Cap 6 Audio Recording
                    debgok Level 1

I have certainly tried that, but I could not figure out why the sound was getting down-graded after clicking record.  The only evidence I could find is in the sound control panel -- its level settings change after clicking record in Captivate, so clearly, Captivate is interacting with the sound control panel.  I assume you are talking about the Audio Settings under Preferences --  the Bitrates and where you can calibrate input?

• 7. Re: Cap 6 Audio Recording
                      debgok Level 1

Are these the settings and if so, where would you set the levels and to what?Cap Audio Settings.png

• 8. Re: Cap 6 Audio Recording
                        Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Rod is talking about calibrating, there the level is set.

• 9. Re: Cap 6 Audio Recording
                          debgok Level 1

Yep -- I've done ALL of that.  Nothing helps.

• 10. Re: Cap 6 Audio Recording

If you've been setting the value here in the Calibrate Audio Input dialog...

Calibrate_Audio_PreampValue.png

...then the only reason I know of that something else would be over-riding this value is that you have another application or service somewhere on your computer that is hijacking the levels.  I've never seen Captivate move this value around for no reason.  I HAVE however seen an audio driver conflict (on a colleague's PC at a corporate client site) cause all manner of issues.  The IT techs had to load latest version drivers onto the PC in order to get it to work.  So maybe that's an avenue you should look into.