16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2013 10:50 AM by tclark513

Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space

214jbandy

I used the razor tool to cut out the middle portion of an audio clip. When I use ripple delete to remove the space between the clips, it deletes the space, but leaves one frame empty. There are no video clips, only 3 audio tracks in the project. There aren't any clips above or below where I'm trying to edit. I've tried this on several clips and it keeps happening. Please help!

• 1. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
          shooternz Level 6

Try using CTRL-K instead of the imprecise Razor Tool.

• 2. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Post a screen shot of the sequence.

• 3. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
              214jbandy Level 1

Here are screenshots... The first shows the clips separated.

Before.png

The second is when I click to highlight the area I want to delete.

Select.png

The third is what happens when I hit the delete key. There is a one frame empty space that just wont delete. If I click that little spot and hit the delete key, nothing happens. I can pick up the clip and drag it over, but unless I use the track selection tool, the rest of the clips won't move with it.

After.png

It's odd because it happens in some parts of my sequence but not others. As you can see, there aren't any clips around it to get in the way of ripple delete. Any guesses as to what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks!!

• 4. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
                shooternz Level 6

Try using Frames instead of Audio time Units in your sequence.

2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
                  214jbandy Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work. Ripple delete isn't working in either setting. My sequence is set to 48000 Hz and I have clips that have different audio sample rates (96, 48, 44)... but it doesn't seem to be linked to those because it happens randomly on the 48 files just as often as those that are 96 or 44.

I also tried moving the clips to Track 1 to see if that made a difference. It didn't.

I can't seem to find a pattern of when it works and when it doesn't.

Do you have any other suggestions?

• 6. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

I can't reproduce your issue. Can you start a new project and see if it occurs there?

• 7. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
                      shooternz Level 6

Also...what happens if you use CTRL-K instead of the Razor Tool?

• 8. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

These are audio clips.  It's very possible they end "in between" frames, which is why the gap.

• 9. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
                          214jbandy Level 1

I started a new project and can't replicate it. But the project I'm working on has over 1000 video clips and I'm really hoping I don't need to start over. I can tell you that I tried it on 2 different computers to make sure it wasn't a Premiere error and it occurs on both. What could be the issue?

• 10. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
                            214jbandy Level 1

Command K doesn't solve my problem. I'm trying to use ripple delete in order to move everything down my timeline at once. Otherwise I have to use the track selection tool (Shift + A) in order to select everything and move it down my timeline.

• 11. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
                              shooternz Level 6

Otherwise I have to use the track selection tool (Shift + A) in order to select everything and move it down my timeline.

...so what is the problem with doing just that?

• 12. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
                                214jbandy Level 1

...so what is the problem with doing just that?

If I can do something by just hitting one button (delete), without having to switch tools, it would make my workflow much quicker. Also, since I have "snap to" turned off for finer edits, it takes more time to click and drag and hover over the edit to make sure it's aligned with the previous clip. The answer really shouldn't be a workaround...there should be a reason why it's not working... or at least I hope there is.

• 13. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
                                  shooternz Level 6

Here is my 2 cents worth about the razor tool.

I believe it has a different function  in editing but not as a general way to make an efficient edit.  ( It is for splitting a clip)

The razor tool only "edits" in the Timeline" (Sequence) ...where as I edit in the source monitor and trim in the Timeline" (Sequence).

The (Select All) solution I suggested might work for you...was based on the way you edit ( Razor Tool in the timeline and not actually a work around)

Also, since I have "snap to" turned off for finer edits, it takes more time to click and drag and hover over the edit to make sure it's aligned with the previous clip.

Keep Snap on.

Mouse near your edit point with Shift  held ...and you will lock on to the edit point or use the keyboard shortcut for Next Edit Point.

• 14. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
                                    214jbandy Level 1

I too edit in the source monitor and trim in the timeline. I'm using the razor tool just as you describe... to split a clip. Maybe I should explain more. I'm working on audio files of interviews (I'll add video later but it won't have sync sound). I'm making ins and outs in the source monitor and then bringing just the audio sections that I want into the timeline. Then I'm using the razor tool to remove "umms" and any stuttering. So I'm using the razor tool to do exactly what it's supposed to do... cut the clip in two so I can remove a tiny section from the middle. I'd like to ripple delete the two clips back together once I've removed the "bad" parts. This is where my issue lies.

• 15. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
                                      Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

I have had a similar one frame problem when I try to ripple delete the head of clip (that had been cut with ctrl-k) and also when I try to fit to fill selecting the in and out points with the up and down arrows.  It doesn't ahppen all the time... probably about a third of the time.

I've been cutting a lot of short lectures based on other people's video logs.  The first step is to dump the lecture, roughly cut off the head and add timecode.  As you can see from the image, when I shift-deleted to remove the head it left a one frame gap.

shift_delete_one_frame.jpg

The other time I have noticed this is after I get the first round of edits.  This usually involves dropping in images for a set length of time, often with a black matte underneath them.  My workflow is to put all of the image on V3 and then go back and add the matte.  I set the duration of the matte with in and out points that I get by up-arrowing through the sequence.  Again, about a third of the time my selection is off by a single frame.

i_o_one_frame.jpg

What is particularly annoying is that I have to keep zooming into the timeline to check on my I/O points which really slows me down.

Definitley seems like Premiere has an issue with single frames at times

• 16. Re: Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space
                                        tclark513 Level 3

These issues started popping up for me after the new "unproductive" trim functions were implemented in CS6.

You have to really zoom in EVERY time to fix these issues!