1 2 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2015 9:09 AM by ycardozo

ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes

Yammer Level 4

Since Adobe stopped supplying Camera Raw downloads, I've noticed that it's become harder to track bugs and fixes. Hopefully, someone here can put me straight on the current state of play.

Can anyone summarise the well-known problems with version 7, and when they were fixed (or are still ongoing)? Is there a 'changelog' somewhere? What is/are the main outstanding issues at the moment?

Unfortunately, I'm getting to that age where my short–medium term memory isn't very good at retaining this sort of information, so it's good to have it written down!

• 1. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have an answer for your question. But your comments have raised another question for me. If I go to the Adobe download page the last version of Camera Raw available is 7.1. But if I do a simple Google search for Camera Raw 7.3, Google will take me to the page on the Adobe website where I can download. Why is that? Does anyone know?

• 2. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe continues to update a blog entry to indicate where the latest Camera Raw download is for people without internet on their Photoshop computer, and Google indexes that blog entry along with all the forum posts that discuss it:

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/keeping-photoshop-up-to-date.html#notconnected

• 3. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
              Yammer Level 4

Just for future reference, this is what Adobe says:

These items have been FIXED in Camera Raw 7.1:

• Keyboard shortcuts for the point curve channel on Windows were not functional.
              • Local corrections are not refreshing after applying lens corrections. This occurs on both TIFF and JPEG files with noise reduction disabled.
              • Point curve adjustments made to a single R,G, or B channels in the Tone Curve tab can be reset a channel curve is adjusted.
              • Photoshop and Bridge show different values for the image resolution in certain images. Photoshop and Bridge are not changing the image resolution, but displaying different values.
              • Applying keywords to multiple files can sometimes cause errors when writing the keyword metadata to file. This can occur when the “Save Image Settings in” preference within Camera Raw is set to the Camera Raw database.

These items have been FIXED in Camera Raw 7.2:

• Cannot change “Erase” size, feather and flow settings while utilizing the Option key.
              • Cannot write metadata to images previously opened in some 3rd party software.
              • Luminance Noise slider is unresponsive when Clarity is greater than 0.
              • In certain cases, the new Defringe controls can cause vertical streaks to appear.
              • Some images from Canon 5D Mark II exhibited pattern noise in the form of maze/green split artifacts.
              • Adjusting the Blue channel does not affect monochrome images.
              • Certain TIFF files can cause Bridge to become unstable.
              • Defringe settings are not retained when editing the file in Photoshop as a Smart Object and then returning to ACR.

These items have been FIXED in Camera Raw 7.3:

• Lens correction does not auto find iPhone 4 profile
              • TIFF files can experience tonal shifts within Lightroom
              • Bridge is unable to show TIFF files
              • 4. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                Yammer Level 4

... and if anyone can list any outstanding issues, that would be great!

• 5. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

Camera Raw 7.3 takes something like 1.5x to 2x as long to open the same raw image as 7.0.  There are those who'd say that's not a bug but the price of new features, and I'm sure they're right after a fashion, though I still have my suspicions about how the multi-threading has been changed.  I certainly see more processor idle time during conversions than I'd like to see.

Another thing I consider a bug is that the Defringe:  All Edges feature was dropped in 7.1 in preference to the more sophisticated defringing features.  Trouble is, there are things Defringe: All Edges handled very well that the new setup does not - specifically, the remnant color moire from the Bayer pattern on the edges of things.  Bottom line is that there's no combination of settings that delivers quite as good quality edge color for small, contrasty detail (e.g., very small letters in a sign or the edge of something dark against a bright sky).

I have already posted details about both these things on the Camera Raw forum.

-Noel

• 6. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                    Yammer Level 4

Noel Carboni wrote:

There are those who'd say that's not a bug but the price of new features ...

Running a 4-year-old PC (Win7 64b), I have elected to drop back to version 7.0 for this very reason. Things are snappier in 7.0, and Bridge is a lot smoother as a result.

There are those who'd say that's not a bug but the price of new features ...

But what new features have we had since 7.0? The new Defringe tab? I doubt that would that justify the performance hit.

• 7. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                      Noel Carboni Level 7

Yes, I recall you participating in my "benchmark" thread.

In 7.1 we saw that bug that clearly implied the new de-fringe facility was marching all over the place, not just processing a few pixels right at the edges of subject matter, so it's not hard to imagine quite a bit of processing was added with that new facility.

Generalizing, as time goes on we can see that the processing is clearly getting more sophisticated, with it for example showing the ability to handle overflow and underflow better (implying use of deeper integer formats or floating point - both of which could slow things down).

We also see that there is complex caching being done so that some parts don't have to be done over the second time you open the file.  How that affects performance isn't clear.

Bottom line is this:  Camera Raw is quite complex, and it's difficult to just observe it from the outside to see whether it's producing results as quickly as it could be. 

But that said, I still feel there could be things changed in the way it splits things up to keep all your processor cores busy that would help it produce results faster.

This might interest those wishing to review speed changes in Camera Raw in recent history.:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4770308

-Noel

• 8. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                        Yammer Level 4

In other words: there's a lot more going on under the bonnet since 7.1.

• 9. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                          Noel Carboni Level 7

I really don't know any more than you do about what's under the bonnet, but I think it's quite safe to say there are things going on there.

-Noel

• 10. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                            bmad2012 Level 1

A month ago Adobe ackowledged a problem with multiple Adjustment Brush edits - at times,  brush edits disappear. see http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/problem_with_adjustment_brush_tool_i n_adobe_camera_raw

If the Adjustment Brush edit  is not showing when the ACR (7.2 or 7.3)  file is updated to CS6 as a smart object, that edit will not be carried over to Photoshop. So it is not just a ACR preview problem - one or more Adjustment Brush edits will not appear in Photoshop.

Noel Carboni posted screen shots on Oct. 22, 2013 that confirm the problem see http://forums.adobe.com/message/4792575#4792575

• 11. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                              Yammer Level 4

Changes to Existing Camera Support:

Camera Raw 7.4  includes a correction to the demosaic algorithms for Fujifilm cameras with the X-Trans sensor. This specifically impacts the following cameras: Fujifilm X-Pro1, Fujifilm X-E1, Fujifilm X100S, Fujifilm X20.

Camera Raw 7.4 includes a correction to the demosaic algorithms for Fujifilm cameras with the EXR sensor. This correction applies only to raw images captured using the “EXR HR” mode with the following cameras: Fujifilm X10, Fujifilm XF1, Fujifilm X-S1, Fujifilm S200EXR, Fujifilm HS20EXR, Fujifilm HS30EXR, Fujifilm F550EXR, Fujifilm F600EXR, Fujifilm F770EXR, Fujifilm F800EXR.

Adjusted Nikon default white balance for the following camera models: NikonD2X, NikonD2Xs, NikonD2Hs, NikonD200, NikonD40, NikonD50, NikonD80.

Fix default aspect ratio support for Fujifilm X-E1 raw files.

Bugs Corrected in Camera Raw 7.4:

The following bugs that were part the Camera Raw 7 releases have been corrected. The team appreciates the very detailed feedback the community has provided on Camera Raw 7 and we're excited to correct a number of issues experienced by our customers. These issues have been FIXED:

• Improve interactive performance at intermediate zoom levels (e.g., 33% and 66%).
                              • Remove strong color cast when converting images to grayscale.
                              • Rendering of floating-point HDR images with unexpected embedded ICC profiles (non-linear gamma).
                              • Ensure that local adjustments are synced properly when copying & pasting settings in Bridge.
                              • Prevent point curve adjustments from disappearing off the top and bottom when using the arrow keys to adjust curve points.
                              • Square tile artifacts while painting with local adjustment brush.
                              • Grid overlay artifacts in Lens Correction panel when adjusting crop rectangle.
                              • Shortcut (control-click, right-click) to adjust local adjustment brush size and feather size.
                              • Local adjustment redrawing incorrectly after selecting a pin.
                              • Redraw error with the noise reduction option-drag visualization.
                              • Redraw error when local adjustment mouse over rollover mask, etc.
                              • Crash when adding a custom input/output values in per-channel RGB point curves.
                              • Color casts when using the Camera Calibration saturation sliders.
                              • Line artifacts when processing floating-point images with a rotated crop.
                              • Crash when using the local adjustment brush. This only occurs on images with a large number of local adjustments and on a system with limited RAM.
                              • 12. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                Hudechrome Level 2

I'm curious about the "strong color cast when converting to gray scale". I've never seen it. So I  looked at an image in 7.4 and it looks ok, so correcting for a problem I didn't have didn't mess me up.

Thanks for the update, team. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the D7100.

• 13. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                  ycardozo Level 1

So the problem with recalibrating thumbnails when metadata is applied apparently was NOT addressed. This is ridiculous. WHEN is this known problem going to be fixed??????

• 14. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                    ycardozo Level 1

Curt Y asked: Can you narrow down what changed between ACR 7.2 and 7.3?  Perhaps ask on the Camera Raw forum.  Jeff Schewe is a key player in ACR.

So here I am on the camera raw forum. The problem is with RAW. I don't believe it's with Bridge, per se.  It only started when I updated from Camera Raw 7.2 to 7.3.  Can I say what else changed? No. All I know is RAW images constantly recalibrated the minute metadata was applied to even one image in a folder. Period. That's it. The problem was replicated by someone in Adobe. I can NOT going to 'try out' 7.4 because it took me a week to get back from 7.3 to 7.2.  You all may be tech folk but I am not. I knew where to put the .8bi folder but whatever I was doing those many days did not work. Someone from adobe finally had to do it for me. I am not the only one reporting this problem. It may be confined to Canon raw images but I'm not sure. I do recall someone saying they had this problem with DNG images.  So, Jeff Schewe, please weigh in on this.

• 15. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                      ycardozo Level 1

btw, I am getting email prompts from the other discussion on recalibration but not from this one. can someone please tell me how or what to click on so that i get notified about discussions here, also?

• 16. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes

There should be a subscribe-to-notification link under Actions on the right when you go to the web-forum.  You can do with for all messages for the forum, or just this particular thread. 

I have already subscribed to everything so have an Action to stop notifications.  Not sure what the exact wording of the Action phrase to start them, but I’m pretty sure it has the word Notification in it.  If you only have the action to stop notifications then you are subscribed and there is some other problem.

• 17. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                          Jeff Schewe Level 5

ycardozo wrote:

So, Jeff Schewe, please weigh in on this.

I have no clue what you are talking about...

• 18. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                            Yammer Level 4

Jeff Schewe wrote:

I have no clue what you are talking about...

Apparently, you're expected to fix a problem with Bridge, Jeff. This issue has been discussed in the Bridge forum, and now it's come here.

For me, it's not an easy one to pin down, because of all the changes I've made to my own computer. And I'm not sure I'm seeing exactly the same problem as others. But, basically, it's related to unnecessary* (re)generation of thumbnails and previews in Bridge. The reason it's come here, is that it seemed to coincide with an update of Camera Raw. Other than that, I'm a bit vague, so I'll let others step in until/if I can recreate it myself.

Edit: * unnecessary because the previews should already be generated and cached, but for some reason Bridge keeps doing it again and again.

• 19. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                              ycardozo Level 1

Jeff,

I have been dealing with this since November. Steve G knows about it but hasn't had time to do anything. Here's the deal...I am on Windows 7 and Photoshop CS6. I shoot with a Canon 7D and G11.  I do all my initial work in the metadata template...my own info, description, keywords, location, etc. etc.  This creates an .xmp file. When the update from RAW 7.2 to 7.3 came through in November, I downloaded it, as I have all other updates. Then, suddenly, all images in folders with RAW files that had ANY metadata applied, would regenerate endlessly. This only happens with RAW files, not with folders containing jpegs or tifs.

I tried resetting preferences. I tried creating new folders. I have asked if this problem is seen with Nikon RAW files and I'm not sure there has been an answer. I think people have recreated this even with DNG files tho I am not sure. I do know that someone in Adobe has recreated it.

I then discovered that previous .8bi folders were no longer readily available. Getting to one is way, way, way above my ability and involved all kinds of ridiculous backflips but I finally got one. Then followed a solid week of me trying replace the 7.3 .8bi file with the 7.2. Of course, with no instructions, I was putting the wrong file in the wrong folder (32 bit and 64 bit). When I finally got THAT straightened out, it still didn't work. It took someone at Adobe taking over my computer to successfully revert to 7.2.

I lost hours and days of work time trying to deal with this. Meanwhile, should I buy a new camera, I won't be able to see my own RAW CR2 files and will, instead, have to convert to DNG, which, frankly, I find to be a royal pain. Am I peeved. You bet I am. I've been asking, pleading, begging for something to be done since November. Some thoughtful soul suggested I try updating to 7.4 to see if it fixed the problem (the 'fixed problems' listed for 7.4 does NOT mention the recalibration). You can understand, after the problems I had in November, why I will NOT do this until I am absolutely sure the current, latest update has fixed my problem. And I will NOT spend another two hours on the phone with adobe alleged tech help to finally get someone in India who doesn't know what I am talking about. This forum has been far more helpful but please underestand, I am an old school film photographer who has had my share of problems understanding this digital stuff and mucking around with the basic technology of my computer only leads to horrifying outcomes for me.

Jeff, are you with Adobe? Can you look into this?

• 20. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                Jeff Schewe Level 5

ycardozo wrote:

Jeff, are you with Adobe? Can you look into this?

No, I am not...and I've not seen this on my systems. So, odds are it's something specific to your system.

• 21. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                  ycardozo Level 1

I don't think so since many others have replicated it. Interestingly, I just got off the phone with a friend who uses Nikon. She creates her .xmp files while working in Photoshop, not Bridge. She is updated to RAW 7.3 and does not have this problem. I haven't even been able to get an answer as to whether this is limited to Canon. But I know someone in Adobe recreated the problem and so have others on the bridge forum. I am at a loss as to what to do at this point. Great...another dead end for me. You would think, considering how expensive Photoshop is and how they now want to force people to the cloud (which, btw, will cost me double) that a known problem like this would be addressed. Which of course brings up the fact that if we are all forced to the cloud with its continuous updates, a problem like this could not be avoided. How fun.

• 22. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                    ycardozo Level 1

Thanks. I did eventually find it myself. Problem was when I get the notifications, I go to the bottom of the list of replies but eventually took a closer look at the top where I found actions, etc.

• 23. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                      Yammer Level 4

Bugs Corrected in Camera Raw 8.1

• Occasionally the Fill Light adjustment introduced artifacts. This only occurred when processing an image using the PV2010 process version.
                                                      • When using the Red Eye removal tool, setting red eye darken to 100% would lighten the adjustment instead of darkening it.
                                                      • Reduced the default amount of sharpening applied to images taken with the Fuji X100s camera.

Release Notes

Please note that the workflow options in ACR8.1 have been updated for compatibility with Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC.

• 24. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                        Yammer Level 4

Bugs Corrected in Camera Raw 8.2

• JPEG decoding produced a red color cast.
                                                        • Bridge always recomputed cropped image thumbnails when lens profile corrections are enabled rather than when necessary.
                                                        • Feathering for healing brush operations were not the same strength as feathering for circular spot removals.
                                                        • When selecting and adjusting multiple images, the Crop adjustment was not applied to the most selected image.
                                                        • Local adjustment brush pin were not redrawing properly after moving from one location to another.
                                                        • When using Camera Raw as a Filter in Photoshop CC, pressing the “Cancel” button on a Smart Object would rest the Smart Object to default settings.
                                                        • There was no visual for the Heads-Up Display when control-dragging to resize a healing brush.  This only occurred when the “Show Overlay” option is turned off.
                                                        • 25. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                          ycardozo Level 1

Thanks for the info. Meanwhile, at the moment, my other bugs have either disappeared (specifically, constantly having to sign in) or have receeded to a point where they are a non issue (regeneration)

• 26. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                            Yammer Level 4

Bugs Corrected in Camera Raw 8.3

• ACR froze when sampling point curve on image with spot heal/clone adjustments.
                                                            • Incorrect White Balance settings applied when synching Auto WB from source to targets.
                                                            • On certain images, red eye removal behaved incorrectly.
                                                            • Some Olympus E-400 raw files showed maze / checkerboard artifacts.
                                                            • Double-click with radial filter tool was not working properly for cropped images.
                                                            • The bit depth preference (i.e. 8-bit or 16-bit) was not “sticky” when running Camera Raw under Photoshop Elements.
                                                            • 27. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                              Yammer Level 4

Bugs Corrected in Camera Raw 8.4

• Fix bug that prevented opening Nikon D800/D800E raw images shot with a DX lens in Live View Video mode.
                                                              • Grain effect now varies from image to image to facilitate editing time-lapse and video frame sequences.
                                                              • When applying Grain, occasionally vertical artifacts would appear along the bottom edge of a photo.
                                                              • Occasionally Bridge CC would exit abruptly when browsing TIFF images.
                                                              • Enabled Mac 32bit support so APD in Bridge is now functioning
                                                              • Fix incorrect white balance behavior for Nikon D3100 raw files when using Camera Matching color profiles.

I'm seeing a few problems on the forums today from people who have just installed Camera Raw 8.4. Personally, I'm steering clear until it's cleared up.

• 28. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                                ycardozo Level 1

I've come to the conclusion it's best to wait on those updates. The last one disabled Bridge and though I could ultimately open Bridge, it took a lot of fiddling. Then, an hour or two later, another update came through to fix THAT bug.

Out of curiosity, what are the problems you are seeing.

• 29. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                                  ycardozo Level 1

I am SOOOOO glad I haven't updated Bridge on my main computer. I was using the laptop in Bridge yesterday on an assignment and realized the before/after box up top has been changed. The problem with the change is that NOW when you go to before/after using one of the three tabs on the bottom, the before reverts to the absolute original, no matter what panel you are in.  In the previous version, if you made a change in the basic panel to say, bring out detail in heavy shadows, then went to the sharpen tool to get rid of some noise, you toggled back and forth on JUST the sharpening. Now, clicking 'before' in the sharpen tool reverts the entire thing to what the image looked like originally. The problem with this is if the shadows were dark, and you have lightened them, then you try to get rid of the noise and  you want to see what it looked like before, the image is too dark to tell because you are wiping out what you did in basic.

How hard could it have been to preserve the fact that EACH PANEL is a separate adjustment and that it's useless to not be able to see EACH adjustment rather than reverting all the way back to the original exposure, tone, whatever. This makes the before/after tool not only cumbersome but nearly useless. And it puts a serious crimp in the use of RAW.

Am I the only one having a problem with this. Is there a way around it so you can do a before/after on EACH tool while preserving what  you did in the other panels. And if there is a way to do this, please someone tell me how.

At this point, I really can't update RAW. Reminds me of the crap we had (and some are still having) with the regeneration.  It's not a bug, it's a feature

• 30. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                                    Hudechrome Level 2

See this thread:

Preview Button!!!!

I work around it by mostly Using Ctrl Z and not trying to use the three at the bottom, especially for Sharpening. You can set the Copy Current settings before running the Sharpen tool and then use Ctrl Z for finesse but it's dodgy.

At the moment, I just do not reset Copy Current Settings. Any change to any panel activates the Before/After button, and I use that occasionally. Once one gets into resetting Current view, it's a vast wasteland!

I don't mind the new buttons per se'. I do object strenuously to the removal of the Before/After checkmark for each panel alone, as it used to be.

Considering the huge acceptance of a before/After for each panel in both PS and ACR before this change, and the rigorous application of this concept to each panel in DxO, I cannot fathom the cavalier attitude implied in it's removal, ACP's arrogant response in the linked thread not withstanding!

(ACP: A Certain Person)

• 31. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                                      ycardozo Level 1

Thank you for the link to the other discussion. I purposely didn't update the main computer, as I mentioned, for just this reason. They spring this crap on us and it makes things so much worse and, of course, we don' t know what we're stepping into until it's too late. But, of course, if one buys  a new camera, you are stuck with not being able to view the RAW images w/o that whole DNG dance.

• 32. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                                        ycardozo Level 1

Btw, I just spent time trying to add my photo, got an email that it was approved and still don't see it. I've tried refreshing the page and opening this discussion in another browser and, still, no new pix. ??????

• 33. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                                          Hudechrome Level 2

I could have gone back to the earlier version accidentally, because I had a major OS problem I resolved by running the System Image, which hadn't been updated yet. When I recovered, the Adobe updates showed up and dummy me, I ran them!

F*ck!

I was about to re-run the image again but instead, I turned off the auto backup and played with the buttons a bit. After all, I may not want to dodge all the subsequent updates.

I had to run the image because another update, to my video card, messed up royally. I don't need that update so I dodged that bullet.

• 34. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes

What are you talking about?

• 35. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                                              ycardozo Level 1

When I said I was trying to upload my photo, I meant to this forum. I tried adding my photo (successfully) to my profile and then did the same to my avatar but my photo still does not show up. Not a biggie but just one more computer frustration.

• 36. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes

The photo I see for you when I go to your profile is of maybe a leopard seal investigating a diver, the same picture as I see when hovering over your avatar on a forum message, but the forum messages still show a generic avatar.

• 37. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                                                  ycardozo Level 1

so how do i get the forum avatar to reset to my picture? that is, indeed, a leopard seal and the diver is me. it was the best dive trip of my life. and that's saying something because i've been diving for more than 50 years.

• 38. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes

Your forum photo and your forum avatar are two different things. 

Click the little arrow next to your image at the top when logged into the forums and choose Edit Communities Profile.  On that page there are photos across the type and avatars along the bottom.  I think the avatar will be too small to have that diving picture, and will need to be resized and/or cropped.

• 39. Re: ACR 7.x known bugs and fixes
                                                                                      ycardozo Level 1

I actually did that an hour or so ago and when I went back into that, it said 'pending' by my avatar photo. The profile and regular avatar photos uploaded almost immediately. So I went back in, deleted both avatars that had been stored, uploaded the same avatar but in a smaller image size and hit finished and am now waiting to see what happens. This truly should be easier to acomplish. But thanks.

1 2 Previous Next