11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2013 10:57 AM by Paul R Stark

Best Internal Hard Drive?

Paul R Stark Level 1

Is there any consensus at to what the most reliable internal hard drive is these days? My Seagate ST3750528AS only lasted just over 3 years. Not for RAID.

IS 7200 RPM SATA still the fastest?

Also, which is the most economical per GB. I could get another 750GB, but I'm thinking prices may have come down in the past 3 years since I last purchased and I'm sure I'll need the extra space eventually.

Suggestions where to buy welcome--had good success with Amazon 3 years ago.

Thanks, everyone.

Paul

Message was edited by: Paul Stark

• 2. Re: Best Internal Hard Drive?
          Paul R Stark Level 1

That's where I'm leaning, John. My WD (system) drive is still going strong.

• 3. Re: Best Internal Hard Drive?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you click the 2nd Newegg link, do look at the specifications of the different "color" WD drives, and then figure out which drive you want/need based on cache size and seek access times

My "home hobbyist" video editing does not put a lot of stress on my system, so the Blue line has always worked well for me... you may have other/higher needs, so need a drive with a greater cache (and cost)

• 4. Re: Best Internal Hard Drive?
              Paul R Stark Level 1

Will do, John.

Thanks, again.

• 5. Re: Best Internal Hard Drive?
                JAKE JONSON Level 1

Honestly, its hard to go by brand - its just that when a hard drive fails on you, you feel so betrayed that you swear off their their entire product line - and look for another brand.  That would be a mistake because most of the HD makers (Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung & Hitachi) have a model or two that do very well.  What I like about Western Digital is that they state the life expectancy of most of their drives in terms of MTBF (Mean time between failure).  Seagate does this for many of theirs as well. 

My personal experience is that Seagate is the least failure prone but Western Digital has the faster drives, but that is a broad brush picture.  I would go with the Enterprise line of drives (black & yellow label for Western Digital) of either of these two HD makers and it will be hard to go wrong.  More price sensitive buyers can look at the Samsung drives - I've had four of their 2TB drives that haven't had a hiccup in 3 years.

Message was edited by: JAKE JONSON for spelling issues.

• 6. Re: Best Internal Hard Drive?
                  Paul R Stark Level 1

Thanks, Jake. This is very helpful.

• 7. Re: Best Internal Hard Drive?
                    JAKE JONSON Level 1

Just to clear the air on the hard drive manufacturer landscape a bit... WD bought out Hitachi in early 2012 and Seagate bought the Samsung spindle/platter HD division. We that would bring us down to two, but it looks like WD was required as part of the Hitachi deal to sell Hitachi's Thailand factory to Toshiba and in fact you can buy 16 Toshiba drive models right now on Newegg.  So, technically, we may have 3 HD makers out there currently. 

Do check warranty duration before buying a drive, as well. Five years is hard to come by these days and 3 years is the norm.  Don't go below 3. Generally, my criteria for buying a new HD is 7200 RPM spindle speed, 64 MB cache, 1 million hour MTBF and 3 year warranty.  Then, I look at the reviews, but customer and professional reviewer.

• 8. Re: Best Internal Hard Drive?
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The fastest 7200 rpm drives right now are the Seagate 7200.14 1TB and up.  Of course the price you pay is only a 1 year warranty.

• 9. Re: Best Internal Hard Drive?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

The first distinction you have to make is consumer versus enterprise drives.

Consumer drives obviously have the lower price, but also the higher failure rate.

For consumer drives consider WD Black (not in parity raids), Samsung F3, HGST Deskstar 7K400 or Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

For reliability and durability go for enterprise disks.

WD RE4, HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 or Seagate Constellation ES.

• 10. Re: Best Internal Hard Drive?
                          Paul R Stark Level 1

Thanks, John, Bill, Jake, and Harm.

Funny things is, my F:/ drive keeps reappearing in Explorer, not with data, only with the drive letter (and not visible in Computer Management or SeaTools). Here today, gone tomorrow. Wierd, but I'm guessing if the disk can't be read at all or recognized with data, then I'm only looking at a "tombstone".

I think I have everything I need to make a wise choice.

As usual, the stellar contributors in the Adobe forums have graciously come through (which is why I always thank "the contributors to the Adobe forums" in my credits).

Paul

• 11. Re: Best Internal Hard Drive?
                            Paul R Stark Level 1

I'm reading a  lot of reviews where folks seem to be putting the WD1003FBYX into RAID's. The specs and reviewers are calling it "RAID-specific".

I know nothing about RAIDS. However, it is an "Enterprise-ready", SATA storage drive, with 1.2 million hours MTBF, 300MBps DTR, a 5 year warranty, all for only $105 US on Amazon. After hours of research, this looks like a great drive.

Can I still use this (see my profile for workstation specs)? It’s a 7-pin Serial ATA and looks like it should be fine, but again, RAIDS—maybe there’s more than meets the eye for me.

Thanks, Gentlemen.

Paul