8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2013 7:23 AM by ScubaBadger RSS

Can I delete renders and previews when putting projects into long term storage?

ScubaBadger Community Member

I want to shrink the size of my longe term storage folders. Would it be ok to just delete the previews and renders?

Any project opened in the future is going to rebuild them anyway..

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can I delete renders and previews when putting projects into long term storage?
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Yes. If needed, upon revisiting the Project, those can be produced again. The same for the CFA and PEK files (Conformed Audio and Waveform displays), as PrPro will recreate those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can I delete renders and previews when putting projects into long term storage?

Thanks Bill - very helpful and very speedy response.

As I have a couple of hundred project folders to search through and clean up - could I do batch search and delete, say search on files named "rendered - " and delete all those?

Looking at the preview folders there are video clips and .xmp files - it should be ok to delete both as the xmp is a data file for the video clip?

I am guessing I could do the CFA and PEK files on batch search too - as all the "search and destroy" would be done purely on hard drives dedicated to storage.

Thanks very much Bill.

Dave

• 3. Re: Can I delete renders and previews when putting projects into long term storage?
              joe bloe premiere Community Member

Depending on your location settings in Premiere:

Edit>Preferences>Media>Media Cache Files

Project>Project Settings>Video Previews

Project>Project Settings>Audio Previews

Premiere will create folders named:

Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files

Media Cache

Media Cache Files

You can exclude these folders from your archive,

and delete their contents.

Note that if you have set a common location for all projects'

Media Cache and Preview Files, you may need to re-generate

these files for any projects that are still active.

• 4. Re: Can I delete renders and previews when putting projects into long term storage?

Thanks Joe

I leave my settings as much standard as possible. I edit on a raid that I bring the project folder into and when finished put it back onto a staorage drive.

Most times - when iether strating a new project or pulling one in from an archive drive, I clean the media cahes out first and try to start fresh - primarily as I have a small OS drive.

Frequently I do a fair bit of work on the audio. If I get rid of previews - will I lose any effects settings I have made to the audio on the timeline in a sequence?

Thanks again,

• 5. Re: Can I delete renders and previews when putting projects into long term storage?
                  the_wine_snob Community Member

I agree with Joe (nothing unusual there), and, as stated, how you do the mechanics might well depend on how you establish your folder structure, when you start the Project. I keep everything (including copies of any Assets), in a folder structure below the Project's name. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4028199#4028199

With such a structure, it is easy to Delete, say Media Cache files, etc., before using Project Manager, or just setting it to NOT copy those files over. It also makes a final Deleting easy.

I do sacrifice a bit of performance, by not spreading, say my Render files, my Audio and my Video, over separate physical drives, but then, when the Project is done, tracking down everything is easy, as I just Delete the root folder, [Project Name], and everything goes with that.

Good luck, and glad that you asked, before archiving a bunch of Projects, or Deleting a bunch of files.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can I delete renders and previews when putting projects into long term storage?

Thanks again Bill, I have taken the advice and built a folder structure template that I can copy and reproduce for all projects henceforth.

Understanding that PP builds a "Adobe Premiere preview Files" folder for a project the instant it creates or opens it - I think it's going to be far easier and quicker to just open all the archived folders and just delete the said folder - rather than open it and go through its contents manually deleting. Would I be going against the grain in this action?

Thanks for all the help and great tips.

• 7. Re: Can I delete renders and previews when putting projects into long term storage?
                      joe bloe premiere Community Member

If I get rid of previews - will I lose any effects settings

I have made to the audio on the timeline in a sequence?

Nope.

...just delete the said folder - rather than open it

and go through its contents manually deleting.

Would I be going against the grain in this action?

Nope.

If you need to restore the project, Premiere will re-generate

the folder and all of the missing contents.

• 8. Re: Can I delete renders and previews when putting projects into long term storage?

Thank Joe, this is fantastic news. I am cleaning up after a change of platform from Mac to PC - and all the drives that were mac I am having to empty - reformat and then reload. No - what I'll do is clean all the un-needed preview out first, then transfer, reofrmat and reload the skinnier folders bak again.

Have been using MacDrive on the pc to be able to see the mac disks, but i have noticed drive reads are slower with it. They speed up again once reformatted to PC.

It has been an invaulable little programme so far as I coudn't see the mac formatted drives to bae able to clean them off prior to reformat.

Got to say - with you guys helping out here the task has been made much easier, and my procedural knowledge for ongoing has been enhanced so I thank you both for the tips.