• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DashboardClient won't close

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2013 Feb 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to install Adobe Flash Player on my Mac, running OS 10.8.2 and using Safari 6.0.2. Installation gets to about 50% before I'm informed that I have to close DashboardClient in order for installation to proceed. I can't find any way to close DashboardClient—it appears to be integral to the OS.

Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got the update to work after searching a lot of potential fixes. Not sure if my quitting my Stickies and basic apps had anything to do with it, but I stumbled upon what ultimately closed the DashboardClients by going to Activity Monitor and Quitting "Dock". It opens right back up again after you quit it, but it closes down the DashboardClients until you re-open your Dashboard.

Pretty obnoxious to have to jump through so many hoops for a stinkin' upgrade, but at least I finally got it to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2013 Apr 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seriouslyihadascreennamea wrote:

Pretty obnoxious to have to jump through so many hoops for a stinkin' upgrade

The thing is that before installing Flash Player you need to close all apps that use it.  It's not Adobe's fault that you have hidden apps that use Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it is when it's the only upgrade I have to go searching online to try and figure out just how to get it to install. The installer saying to "Quit DashboardClient" isn't even actually a possible command. AND, there's not even a simple answer in this forum (at least not one findable by searching the obvious "dashboardclient"), just people asking questions…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway, thank you for providing the answer for other people coming up with the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is Activity Monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Activity Monitor is in the Utilities folder (User>Application>Utilities). Open it up, find "Dock" in the list of "Process Names", click on it, and hit the "Stop Process" button up at the top left of the window (looks like a stop sign). It should reopen itself right away automatically, but it'll close down any DashboardClient processes that are open, so that you can finish the installation.

DashboardClient does appear to only show up when you've had the Dashboard open since your last restart (sounds obvious now, but I never really thought about it before…). Oddly, I don't often use the Dashboard, but had needed one of the widgets earlier that day…

[edit] If all else fails, or you're concerned about using Activity Monitor, you can just restart before doing the installation, it'll automatically close the processes that are a problem (so long as you don't open your Dashboard before doing the install of course).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!  I followed your clear directions, and Flash Player finally installed!

[private data removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help! It was so frustrating figuring it out that when I found the solution, I had to come back in here and add it so that maybe somebody else would have an easier time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2013 Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for taking the time, this was HUGE help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines