12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 1:06 AM by mandelbrot RSS

Home page opening at bottom of the page

CedarSmith

tonigarlandart.com is now opening at the bottom of the page. Help? Using CS4, design mode. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Home page opening at bottom of the page
          Nancy O. MVP

Not for me.  Page opens at top as expected.

Nancy O.

• 2. Re: Home page opening at bottom of the page
            CedarSmith Community Member

Forgot to mention I was viewing it with Chrome. Nancy -- which browser are you using? Thanks! Cedar

• 3. Re: Home page opening at bottom of the page
              Nancy O. MVP

I use Firefox 18 as my default browser.  But I see the problem in Chrome.

Try <!--commenting out--> your music to see if that improves things.

<!--

<p>

<embed src="03 Willow Children - 5-45.mp3" height="1" width="1">

</p>

-->

Nancy O.

• 4. Re: Home page opening at bottom of the page

I copied and replaced the html as you suggested and then the page opened at the top but the music didn't play, then tried just inserting the <-- and --> around what I originally had there, at which point the music played, but it still opened at the bottom and it showed the <-- and --> on the page. Thanks, but I'm still confused.

• 5. Re: Home page opening at bottom of the page
                  mandelbrot Community Member

Try ditching Dreamweaver and switching to Notepad ++, less bugs, less control from big brother, more nimble, less crashes ... simply better than this pile of junk.

Ok - put your style sheet in a separate file and link it.

If you're going to use styles then don't use attributes if you can get away with it.  (Have a look at CSS Zen garden - such a great site.  May be a little complicated for a beginner, but it gives you something to aim for.)

Ditch the table format - it makes everything far, far more complicated; try using DIVs instead.

NEVER nest tables if you can at all avoid it.  Usually you can - it's just a case of looking at column and row spans.

NEVER use something like DreamWeaver in design mode - it's a huge waste of time.

Try starting with something more basic and build it up a step at a time.  Test every change stage by stage - if you're painting a picture you never paint the whole thing then take a step back and look, you always paint a piece, step back and look, paint another piece etc...

Most importantly - research which setting (relating to tags, CSS and attributes) actually performs what operation, and which affects which browser.  The classic example of this is the Internet Explorer 6.0 box model problem.

But most importantly, ditch DreamWeaver.  Hell!  VI is better!

• 6. Re: Home page opening at bottom of the page
                    Nancy O. MVP

Cedar,

Please ignore mandelbrot's irrelevant comments.  They don't address the problem you're having.

Your problem is caused by the embedded music player.  Apart from being highly annoying (autoplay on page load, no on/off buttons, etc..)  it's taking focus away from everything else on your page.   My recommendation is to ditch the embedded music.   It doesn't lend anything to the site except trouble.

Nancy O.

• 7. Re: Home page opening at bottom of the page

Thank you. You were more polite re: mandelbrot than I may have been.

I happen to agree with you about the music, but I create what the client wants, and her thinking is that everybody has a mute button on their computer....

Meanwhile, I inserted the music at the top instead of at the bottom of the page, and that seems to have fixed the problem -- the music plays and it opens at the top. Thanks much! C

• 8. Re: Home page opening at bottom of the page
                        Nancy O. MVP

I understand.  If you give the player a valid height & width, people could see it and use the on/off buttons.

I think that what clients often forget to consider is:

a) The sleeping baby in the next room.

b) The co-worker in the next cubicle.

c) Most site visitors don't want to hear gratuitous music EVERY time they visit the site.

d) It competes with other media the end user may be listening too.

You've got to have an OFF button.

Nancy O.

• 9. Re: Home page opening at bottom of the page
                          John Waller MVP

I think that what clients often forget to consider is:

a) The sleeping baby in the next room.

b) The co-worker in the next cubicle.

c) Most site visitors don't want to hear gratuitous music EVERY time they visit the site.

d) It competes with other media the end user may be listening too.

Agreed Nancy.

They also won't get repeat visitors if their site is playing unwanted music whenever some unfortunate soul lands there. When I'm surfing, I remember the annoying sites and avoid them. This one is now on my blacklist (hit mute before going there).

• 10. Re: Home page opening at bottom of the page
                            Nancy O. MVP

Yeah.  Same here. 

I frequently listen to CDs and streaming radio while work.   Competing noise from web sites is super irritating. 

Nancy O.

• 11. Re: Home page opening at bottom of the page

Thanks for your input. I agree with you even more now, and I will talk to her about this again.

• 12. Re: Home page opening at bottom of the page
                                mandelbrot Community Member

Nancy O. wrote:

Please ignore mandelbrot's irrelevant comments.  They don't address the problem you're having.

Ermm.  Actually they do go someway to adressing the problem.

By separating your file into stylesheet and HTML files you get a clearer view of what's going on - Development 101.

By not using DreamWeaver design mode you are avoiding any unnecessary functionality that is forced on you by the application.

By avoiding using tables as a layout method you are making your code more relevant as per the W3C specification and far more readable.

By avoiding nested tables you are making your code easier to read later and debug for anyone who needs to.

But yes - Nancy O. is correct in one respect - get rid of the music.

Also, delete any image caching routines added by DreamWeaver.  Even though they work they are pointless as the image iwll get cached on first rollover rather than right at the beginning, which slows your page load time.

PPS: Try an app called TopStyle for your CSS (and layout, actually - a third of the price of DreamWeaver and far superior)