5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2007 9:22 AM by Ansury

Project directory structure example

Ansury Level 3
      Are there any example projects out there that demonstrate how to setup a Java Flex project while using Flex Builder for your Flex dev? The examples I've found so far all seem to be based on the Eclipse plugin.

What's the typical standard for this type of project? Just have two project folders? (Flex project + Java server project? This seems to make creating an ant build script harder.)

Is there a problem with putting your Flex project in a single directory inside your Java project, and pointing FlexBuilder to that directory? There has to be some examples on how the deployment process works within a medium or large size project of this type, right?
        • 1. Re: Project directory structure example
          reddatura
          i want to know Project directory structure either.
          hope can get reply..........
          • 2. Project directory structure example
            levancho Level 3
            in flex builder (3) new project wizard you can select that , basically if you do new flex project and then instead of none select jsp/tomcat it will do exactly what you need
            • 3. Re: Project directory structure example
              Ansury Level 3
              We're using FB2 here - either way, I think that there's still a problem with this. In FB you'd open up the project created by Flex - but then what do you do for Eclipse (for the Java server-side development code)?

There has to be a way to run Eclipse and FB at the same time so that they don't interfere with one another... Putting the Flex project inside the Eclipse project in a /flex folder seems to work without issues, but I'd rather take the common approach if there is one.
              • 4. Project directory structure example
                levancho Level 3
                it actualy does not matter, remember flex builder is eclipse no need to have two separate instances, you can have following setup :
                regular J2EE project setup

somefile
                somefolder
                Java_Src_Folder
                webrootFolder
                |--WEB-INF
                |--main.mxml
                |--flex_src_folder
                |--myjsp.jsp

or option 2 :

somefile
                somefolder
                Java_Src_Folder
                flex_src_folder
                |-- main.mxml
                webrootFolder
                |--WEB-INF
                |--myjsp.jsp

in this case all you need is small ant script that will hook its flex compile targets with projects build

also you can manually create .flexProject an d.actionScriptProperties files in a j2ee project folder and that will make it a hybrid I believe(then all you have to do is switch perspectives).
                • 5. Re: Project directory structure example
                  Ansury Level 3
                  Flex Builder being built on Eclipse is what was concerning me- I was worried something like a .project file may overwrite the other IDE's environment information.

But this doesn't seem to be an issue if I use a sub-folder in the overall Java project to store the entire Flex project. I'll probably just do that. I guess there isn't any standard way to setup your environment out there, ah well.