11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2013 5:29 AM by Harm Millaard

System upgrade for Premiere cs6

aaaariel Level 1

Hello everybody,

After reading so many helpful threads and discussions I've finally reached the unavoidable point where I'm totaly confused with so many specs and options. So, I tried to narrow it down and would appreciate every help or comment.

This is where I have to note that English is far form being my native language and that prices in my area are somewhat 20%-30% higher than newegg/amazon. Nevertheless, references to products there are welcome.

So, lets get to the point

I am a Premiere Pro Cs6 editor, starting my way in After Effects. My projects varies from long music shows recorded on DSLR's and AVCHD Panasonic ag-130, and from short, multiple effects, music videos and clips.

My current limping horse (served me very well) is this:

Q9550 (stock)

Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR

4*2GB corsair xms2

PNY GTX 470

Seasonic m12II 620W

500 wd Blue (OS)

2*samsung  spinpoint f3 (scratch)

Coolermaster cm690 II Midtower ATX

My budget is not certain but I would really like to try and keep some of the current system features and put the money where it matters most. So, CPU, Mobo and RAM must go but GPU/Case/PSU- if thier avoidable- better.

Like many others I ask the i7-3770k vs i7-3930k question (I do intend to oc just a little in the near future). Knowing that a 3930k means definitely a better PSU.

Option 1:                                                      Option 2:

i7-3770k                                                       i7-3930k                          

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H                              Asrock x79 extreme6                        

Seasonic X series x 850                               corsiar hex 1050

both options:

Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD

4*8 GB (either balistix sports or the G.skill ripjaws x series)

240GB  sandisk extreme (os-got as a present 830 not an option : ) )

2*WD red 1 TB raid 0 for scratch.

1. Will the i7 3930k make a difference that's worth the almost doubled Budget?

2. Is Upgrading the GPU necessary ?

3. Any other suggestions for the mobo's/PSU's/RAM

4. Could I stay with my current PSU on the 3770k system?

5. and last (for now) Can the cm690 ii handle these systems

As I said, any thoughts, suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ariel

• 1. Re: System upgrade for Premiere cs6
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to the CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ and view the results to see the differences between your two CPU options

• 2. Re: System upgrade for Premiere cs6
            RjL190365 Level 4

Ariel,

One caution about the WD Red: It spins at only 5400 RPM, not 7200 RPM. As such, both the sequential transfer speed and the random access speed are slower than otherwise similar 7200 RPM hard drives.

As for the i7-3770K versus i7-3930K, the only results between those two CPUs that come from systems that are both balanced and overclocked are from the 3930K. The highest-ranked 3770K running CS6 (ranked 262nd out of a total of 1,181 systems all running CS5+) is at stock speed (the overclocked 3770Ks running CS6 in the PPBM5 results list are a bit unbalanced, either due to a slower disk system or a weaker GPU). The fastest-performing stock-speed 3930K running CS6 ranked 66th out of 1,181 - but it had 64GB of RAM instead of the 32GB in the top 3770K system. The highest-ranked stock-speed 3930K with 32GB of RAM running CS6 ranked 233rd out of 1,181, but it had an older-generation GTX 570 instead of the GTX 670 the other two systems were equipped with (and the one that you're considering).

• 3. Re: System upgrade for Premiere cs6
              aaaariel Level 1

Thanks,

Taking a close look at the PPBM5 Benchmark shows that maybe I should consider an i7-2600k. They really get better scores than the 3770k's and as far as I've read, they are better overclockers.

It seems that the CPU speed makes a more significant difference than the GPU. Maybe I'll skip the GPU for now.

Any thoughts about the case/mobo's/ram etc. ?

• 4. Re: System upgrade for Premiere cs6
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Even though in a different category, the principles apply equally. See http://ppbm7.com/index.php/intro-part-1

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: System upgrade for Premiere cs6
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is if you can find an i7-2600K.  Even its replacement an i7-2700K is hard to find.  I have both the i7-2600K and a i7-3770K.  The reason I cannot overclock the i7-3770K as well as the i7-2600K is because I have an older motherboard (Z68) and they are handicapped aside of the newer Z77 boards.  But you are right they do not overclock as well as the early Sandy Bridge CPU's because the internal construction.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 6. Re: System upgrade for Premiere cs6
                    aaaariel Level 1

Thank you all, great help so far : )

Rjl, I did mean the black edition of the WD, the Reds are 2 TB for archive.

Harm, I read your great article and took a look over the benchmarks.  considering the tight budget I'm trying to reach (the 3930k is an option only if 3770k and 2600k are really unsuitible), would you agree that buying and oc'ing a 2600k, a good 32/64GB of ram and my GTX 470 can get me to a Q3 result with some work?

That is if you can find an i7-2600K.  Even its replacement an i7-2700K is hard to find.

That is problbly one of the benefits for living in a country where progress reach a day after- we still got those in stores : )

Thanks again everybody.

• 7. Re: System upgrade for Premiere cs6
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill Gehrke has an i7-2600K system with 32 GB memory that, depending on the overclock he uses, are among the very best CS6 results. If you look at the Top 25 chart http://ppbm7.com/index.php/results?showall=&start=1, you will see his results as BillG SB. So, to answer your question, yes it is very well doable to achieve Q3 results with an i7-2600K.

• 8. Re: System upgrade for Premiere cs6
                        aaaariel Level 1

I made a short research and decided to go with the i7-2600k and overclock it.

This is my new build option:

i7- 2600k

(Really can't decide which is the best CPU cooling for the money)

Asus p8p67 PRO/EVO/DELUXE -  (any reason to not go with the pro?)

G.Skill ripjawz 4*8GB

240 extreme sandisk (OS)

2* WD Black 1TB RAID 0 (Scratch)

GTX 470

I'm thinking of staying with my Seasonic m12ii 620W PSU

Any thoughts/suggestions regarding the build ? I am a noobie in overclocking so if there's a better mobo choice (I understand that some are easier to overclock).

Thanks again everybody, I'm getting close...

• 9. Re: System upgrade for Premiere cs6
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

The i7-2600K is easier and better to overclock than any Ivy Bridge CPU.

I suggest you change the SSD to either a Corsair Neutron GTX or a Samsung 840 Pro. Similarly, change the GTX 470 to a GTX 660 or 660 Ti, because with your PSU, it is very wise to use a less energy consuming video card. 620W PSU is pretty low if you intend to overclock. Check this page: http://ppbm7.com/index.php/disks-psu

• 10. Re: System upgrade for Premiere cs6
                            aaaariel Level 1

Thanks Harm,

I think I'll go for a better PSU for now, then upgrade the GPU when money comes available again. The corsair Hex 850W should be enough I guess.

I got the Sandisk Extreme as a gift so I'll stick with it.

Can you share your opinion regarding the MOBO and the RAM please.

• 11. Re: System upgrade for Premiere cs6
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

If you go to http://ppbm7.com/index.php/results?showall=&start=4 and you enter the search string like:

P8P67.png

you come up with these results. However, you have to be a registered user and logged in, otherwise you will see a screen like this:

Not logged in.png

Randall is always very good in tuning and with 4 systems all in the upper quartile range Q3, you can be sure it is a very good motherboard, but his choice was the Pro version.