3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2013 7:26 AM by espenmoe

Can I clear paragraph styles overrides on placing text?

espenmoe Level 1

I plan to recycle incopy articles from indesign layout X (ipad) to layout Y (iPhone).  The text is first placed on layout X, an then formatted for optimized layout in that particular document. This could be overriding the size of the heading paragraph style, or maybe the font color in the heading.  When recycling this incopy-article in the layout designed for iphone, I do not want the inherit the overrides from the ipad-edition.  The text is placed in indesign layouts using indesign script.  Question: Is it possible - using indesign scripting or any other way - to clear all overrides when placing the text?

• 1. Re: Can I clear paragraph styles overrides on placing text?
          Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

When you use the Place command. in the browsing dialog window that comes up next, choose your text file, and hold down the Shift key as you click ok. This will bring up the Options dialog, where you will see much possibility for selectively clearing / stripping / sorting out the formatting.

Looked at another way, there are many JavaScript solutions that you can run on text stories inside InDesign to turn overrides into character styles. Your work, especially in the realm of epubs or digital publications, should be carefully organized with paragraph styles and character styles. Local, direct formatting should be avoided as much as possible.

To make such cleanup easier, I recently updated my "JavaScript for Productivity" report on my personal website. The link is here, about 11 entries down this page:

http://trainingonsite.com/useful-resources/indesign-cs6-resources.html

One link references Epub Scripts on epubsecrets.com, which, in turn, has a link to Theunis DeJong's preptext.jsx script and there are some other related scripts there as well.

• 2. Re: Can I clear paragraph styles overrides on placing text?
            allisonblake Level 1

Maybe i am misunderstanding what you are doing, but it seems if you have identically named, but differently styled paragraph and character styles for your two layouts, you should not need to clear overrides between documents. Header in layout X is 20 pt and blue and in layout Y is 15 pt and purple. When the InCopy file is placed, it will have the attributes as defined in the style for each document.

• 3. Re: Can I clear paragraph styles overrides on placing text?
              espenmoe Level 1

Point is styles are overrun in the first layout. These overrides are then infecting the second layout.