7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2013 12:21 PM by Peter Spier

Can I save a documents size and position?

johnworking

I want Indesign to remember the last view of the document, so when I open the file again I don't have to adjust the zoom and find the last place I was working in the document.  Is this an option??  I thought CS5 did this for me but maybe I am mistaken.  Now in CS6, Indesign is zooming in and is positioned half of the document everytime I reopen the file.  Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Can I save a documents size and position?
          Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

It already does this! You have to have saved the file before closing it.

• 2. Re: Can I save a documents size and position?
            johnworking Level 1

Mine does not.  Everytime I save, close and then reopen, it opens in a different zoom and position.  I have tested it with multiple files.  Is there a setting or preference I have to change??

• 3. Re: Can I save a documents size and position?

Did you also try a Save-As? If it still is not doing it, I would try blowing prefs and restarting InDesign after you have trashed prefs. I have a step-by-step guide updated for InDesign CS6 that shows all preference settings, available here, the first PDF at the top of the column:

http://trainingonsite.com/useful-resources/indesign-cs6-resources.html

This resource has directions in it for how to trash/reset preferences. Further down is another guide I recently updated all about the 21 presets, styles, and preferences. This report, too, details what to do to reset InDesign behavioral preferences.

This is commonly done when troubleshooting a mysterious behavior like what you are describing.

• 4. Re: Can I save a documents size and position?
                johnworking Level 1

I deleted the preferences.  This helped and hurt at the same time.  Now it will save the zoom percentage (which is good) but...the document window now opens to full screen hiding part of the window behind the tool bar on the right.  I have tried resaving and reopening and it just keeps resizing the window to full screen even after I adjust it to fit within the toolbar space.  Also it still does not save the last position within the document.  It just starts you centered vertically on the first page.

• 5. Re: Can I save a documents size and position?

and it just keeps resizing the window to full screen even after I adjust it to fit within the toolbar space

Perhaps you are not using the snapping feature of docked tool panels. Try docking your toolbar in the Landing Zone on the left and try docking all your panels in the Landing Zone on the right edge of the screen. Try docking the document window under the Control Panel at the top. Doing these things should automatically resize the document window to dwell within the edges of the left sides's tool box, the right side's panel dock, and the top edge should self-adjust, too, because it is snapped in.

Easier than that, try resetting the workspace to advanced. This should dock the document into the available space without it going behind the toolbox and panels.

Another simple thing to click on is at the top center: Arrange Documents button > Consolidate All.

Any of these things should cure the problem of having the document window run behind the toolbox and panels. Rather, it should shoulder up next to them, and self-adjust. You should never have to adjust it manually to fit within the toolbar space.

• 6. Re: Can I save a documents size and position?
                    johnworking Level 1

Thanks for the help.  I went to the advanced workspace but it was still hiding part of the document window behind the toolbars on the right.  I noticed the toolbar was not docking, so I tried it a few times and it would not dock.  So I deleted the preferences again and like magic it seems to be working now.  Thanks for the help, this has been driving me crazy ever since I upgraded to CS6.

• 7. Re: Can I save a documents size and position?
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like maybe you are on a Mac and don't have theApplication Frame enabled.