8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2013 3:22 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Alpha in video isn't working

ScarthCaroth

Greetings Community,

Rather new to this Adobe Premiere, and I have stumbled upon a problem I cannot seem to resolve.

I have placed some video's on the timeline (.mov files exported with alpha) although Premiere doesn't seem to interpret them correctly.

Obviously the grey part needs to be transparent. I have been trying to find a sollution for weeks, but thus far nothing.

screen1.PNG

My sequence settings are as followed

screen2.PNG

Working on a PC as you can see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Alpha in video isn't working
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Shouldn't matter what the Sequence settings are - what we need to see are the ENCODE setttings - how was the .mov file with alpha created? I would guess that is the root of the issue.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 2. Re: Alpha in video isn't working
            ScarthCaroth Level 1

screen3.PNG

the export settings that I used when sending out the .mov files.

• 3. Re: Alpha in video isn't working

I just tried the exact settings as per your AE export example, and the clip plays fine in Premiere with alpha transparency (on a PC).

Let's go back to the original sequence then in AE - your exported clip should not have gray in the "transparent" area, it ought to look black. Are you sure there is not some video or another layer filling the background in the original comp?

What I did for a quick test was to drop in a single clip in AE, and scale it down so there is black around it, the black being the alpha area. Exported and it works fine. Can you duplicate?

Thanks

Jeff

• 4. Re: Alpha in video isn't working
                ScarthCaroth Level 1

The gray is the background color in my sequence settings (in after effects), since the text is black it was hard to preview it if the background and font color are the same. Could this be a problem?

• 5. Re: Alpha in video isn't working

I really am not very proficient with After Effects, just know the basics. Can you take 1-2 minutes for a quick test, as I did on your behalf? Create a NEW Comp, throw a clip in it, scale it down some so it is like a picture in picture with black all around, then Export. Import result into Premiere and put it above another clip on timeline. Is alpha working? You should see the background clip through the areas that were black.

If this works, then it is something in your original composition that is messed up. How did you create the gray background? Is it another layer? If so, it must be turned "off" or deleted before exporting the final video. I understand that you need somethere there temporarily to see your text, but that gray background needs to be gone before you export

Thanks

Jeff

• 6. Re: Alpha in video isn't working
                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

ScarthCaroth wrote:

The gray is the background color in my sequence settings (in after effects), since the text is black it was hard to preview it if the background and font color are the same. Could this be a problem?

No, it should not matter.

• 7. Re: Alpha in video isn't working
                      ScarthCaroth Level 1

Kevin Monahan wrote:

ScarthCaroth wrote:

No, it should not matter.

Well as a matter affect this did matter fixed now!

• 8. Re: Alpha in video isn't working
                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

How strange, as I duplicated your scenario and also know that it should not matter. Glad it's working now. Let us know if it keeps occurring.