10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 2:21 PM by Per Berntsen

Camera Raw noise problem in Photoshop CS6

ktyssen

Opening a Canon .CR2 in Photoshop CS6, Camera Raw generates a significant amount of noise or graininess in the image compared with the simultaneously saved .JPG file.  This results in the image from the raw file being of reduced quality.  I never had this problem using Photoshop CS5. 

Is this the result of some setting being turned on?  If so, I have been unable to figure out which one.  The only other possibility is that there is a severe flaw in the latest version of the Camera Raw plugin.

Can anyone out there shed any light on this?

• 1. Re: Camera Raw noise problem in Photoshop CS6
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Camera generated JPEG files will almost certainly have noise reduction built in by the camera process. By default, Camera Raw has the noise reduction turned off. Depending on the camera and ISO you are shooting at, it would behove you to learn how to use Camera Raw's excellent noise reduction. You can either build a preset or change the Camera Raw defaults to add specific noise reduction and it can be based on the camera and the ISO...

And no, there is no "severe flaw" in Camera Raw...this is a "user issue".

BTW, there is a whole forum dedicated to Camera Raw. That would be the best place to post questions.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw noise problem in Photoshop CS6
            Noel Carboni Level 7

You're using a raw converter to increase your access to more control.  Among the controls you now have at your disposal are color and luminance noise reduction.

The thing is, what you'll want to do is to develop a set of Camera Raw Defaults that start your conversions off as you would like, then save that default so it pre-sets all the controls for each new image you open.  In my case, I have a fair bit of noise reduction dialed-in by default for my Canon EOS-40D images.

ACRDefaultSharpeningAndNoise.png

You may also want to turn down the default sharpening, which will bring up noise in itself.  I've done that as well, as you can see.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Camera Raw noise problem in Photoshop CS6
              Iljam

I'm experiencing the same problem. If i process a CR2 file in Lightroom (no noise reduction used whatsoever), i get nice results in my JPG. When I import to PS, the entire image gets spoiled by grayish grainy noise.

Can i go back to version 5 by the way?

• 4. Re: Camera Raw noise problem in Photoshop CS6
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Check the Cache levels under Preferences > Performance.

If they are set to less than 4, the image may appear grainy.

Cache levels.png

• 5. Re: Camera Raw noise problem in Photoshop CS6
                  Iljam Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion. Checked it - didn't work. The image is still grainy even if I set it to 7  

• 6. Re: Camera Raw noise problem in Photoshop CS6
                    Amarotti Level 1

I am having a simular problem.

It appears that when I open a CR2 RAW file in Camera Raw (PS CS6) it doesn't look as good as the RAW file does.  Perceptible noise is added to the file.

Someone somewhere said that Camera Raw has some sharpening added to its default settings.  I tweaked the settings and it's better, but I still wonder why an application like Camera Raw wouldn't start out with settings that reproduced the exact image quality as the original RAW file??

The answer may be that we have to tweak the settings, but I would think the default would be our starting point and that would be at the full beauty as the original RAW file.

If anyone knows better than me, I would love some education on this subject...  Thanks!

Anthony

• 7. Re: Camera Raw noise problem in Photoshop CS6

Iljam wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Checked it - didn't work. The image is still grainy even if I set it to 7

Can you post screenshots of the image in Lightroom and in Photoshop, both at 1:1 (100%) view?

• 8. Re: Camera Raw noise problem in Photoshop CS6

Amarotti  wrote:

It appears that when I open a CR2 RAW file in Camera Raw (PS CS6) it doesn't look as good as the RAW file does.  Perceptible noise is added to the file.

You're referring to viewing the raw file before you open it in Camera Raw, but most likely, you have been viewing the jpg which is embedded in the raw file.

Your camera probably has numerous settings for sharpening, noise reduction, picture styles, etc, and all these setting only affect the jpg. They are not applied to the raw file because Lightroom ignores them - it ignores any camera settings - apart from aperture, shutter speed and ISO value.

So you have to edit the raw file to your liking - Lightroom provides you with a starting point.

You may find these articles useful: File formats and Lightroom basics

Much of the Lightroom article also applies to Photoshop's Camera Raw plugin.

• 9. Re: Camera Raw noise problem in Photoshop CS6
                          Amarotti Level 1

Hello, and thanks for the feedback!

However I am referrring to how the image looks in Camera Raw after I open the CR2 file.

Anthony

• 10. Re: Camera Raw noise problem in Photoshop CS6

When you say that

when I open a CR2 RAW file in Camera Raw (PS CS6) it doesn't look as good as the RAW file does

you're implying that the raw file looks better in another application. Which one? How did you view the raw file?