5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 12:20 PM by bduffy323

Deciphering protective shutdown log

bduffy323 Level 1

CS 5.5, CS 6.0 both Mac and PC.

Hello all, I am wondering why my Indesign is crashing. It says it encountered a serious error and then brings up the error log that it went into protective shutdown. I located the log and this is what it states:

CloseDocCmd - document is still referenced

Session started up at 8:09 AM on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Version: 7.5.0 - Build: 142

No Error Info

Document has 1 extra references

Could anyone explain what CloseDocCmd is, and how to tell how many document references indesign has at any given time? Is there anyone I could contact at Adobe to further research the issue? I've posted this in the scripting forum a while ago but thought maybe someone here also experienced the same issue. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Deciphering protective shutdown log
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The first thing you want to do is update to version 7.5.3.

• 2. Re: Deciphering protective shutdown log
            bduffy323 Level 1

Sorry that was an old log that I copied from the top of the protective shutdown log. Here is the most recent shutdown log with the top couple lines of the stack. The issue persists even after the update. Please let me know if you have anymore insight. Thanks!

Adobe InDesign Protective Shutdown Log

Wed Feb 13 13:38:34 2013

CloseDocCmd - document is still referenced

Session started up at 1:33 PM on Wed, Feb 13, 2013

Version: 7.5.3 - Build: 333

No Error Info

Document has 1 extra references

Registered plugins:

Name          ID          Version          Build          Load Status

----------------------------------------------------------------

Data Services UI.InDesignPlugin          0x1c001          7          5          Loaded

Data Services.InDesignPlugin          0x1aa01          7          5          Loaded

DTTransform.InDesignPlugin          0x1c201          7          5          Loaded

Dictionary Editor Dialog.InDesignPlugin          0x4301          7          5          Loaded

LILO.InDesignPlugin          0x1e601          7          5          Loaded

EBookExport.InDesignPlugin          0x21a01          7          5          Loaded

Media Import Filter.InDesignPlugin          0x17601          7          5          Loaded

PNG Import Filter UI.InDesignPlugin          0x1d900          7          5          Loaded

• 3. Re: Deciphering protective shutdown log
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is this Mac or PC? If on the Mac, do you have a regular crash log? That might shed more light than the protective shutdown. If you do, post it on pastebin.com -- NOT here -- and put a link to it here.

• 4. Re: Deciphering protective shutdown log
                bduffy323 Level 1

This report is from a crash on a MAC CS5.5 that resulted in the same entry in the protectiveshutdown log.

http://pastebin.com/igWMZyXg  -- crash report link

• 5. Re: Deciphering protective shutdown log
                  bduffy323 Level 1

In addition to this forum, does anyone know of any other outlet to get more information on this? Are there resources at Adobe that could shed more light on the issue as well?