5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 2:27 AM by GitAmager1 RSS

Date of creation problem after making Bridge create TIFs with PS Image Processor.

GitAmager1 Community Member

I went through about 100 files and did what I wanted in Camera RAW (started out with NEFs). Thereafter I had Bridge make TIFs of all the files in the folder using the PS Image Processor.

Now, looking at the TIF folder in Bridge, I find that about 80 of them has a wrong creation date (I checked the Preferences and I have asked for the date of creation - and not the date of modification). As I watch (several minutes) Bridge changes some of the dates to the ones known to me to be correct - but not all. If I close Bridge, restart Bridge and open the folder again the same happens, i.e. it starts all over. Even stranger is that the Windows Pathfinder have problems with the same files - i.e. does not show the date of creation at all.

The date of these 80 files are all the same - and they have been edited over several days!

I have done a lot of work on those files and would hate to start all over. I checked and of course the dates are the original in the RAW folder that I started out with.

I am sure that I do not have any bugs in my PC.

Can I remedy this i any way? I hate to have wrong dates on my files.

What can I have done to cause this? Can anyone help me? Thanking You in advance.

Git

• 1. Re: Date of creation problem after making Bridge create TIFs with PS Image Processor.
          Curt Y Community Member

Bridge has 3 dates that can confuse.  There is Date Created (set by camera or scanner) Date File Created, and Date File Modified.  Date Created and Date File Created may be the same if file not changed.  Not all programs read these (Win. Expl) so find a file will all 3 dates different and see how they shake out.

P.S.  You have option in Bridge to turn seeing these dates on or off in preferences/metadata.

• 2. Re: Date of creation problem after making Bridge create TIFs with PS Image Processor.

Thank you for your prompt answer.

I have set "date created" in Preferences / thumbnails and metadata.  The problems persists. I even tried to change to "Date file created" in Preferences / metadata - no difference so I changed back to the original "date created" both places. With each change I closed and restarted Bridge. Can I change somewhere else. I most be doing something foolish but I do not see what.

Git

• 3. Re: Date of creation problem after making Bridge create TIFs with PS Image Processor.

Update: I can add that I now checked older folders and find that the same is happening there. The incorrect date is in all cases January 13th, 2013 - also when files have not been touched in 2013. If I wait ½ - 1 minute/file the file name on a file is changed to the correct date - the same happens, file after file, as I scroll down - but dates have reverted to the wrong date when I return to the first file in the folder.

My Adobe software is fully updated and also was not updated on January 13th. My system appears to be stable and I can find no viruses, trojans, worms, malware or spyware. Its driving me crazy!

I hate to have to reinstall PS but that may be the only solution???

(By the way: Windows Explorer can read the dates created on the the few files that have correct dates - as for the rest of them the field is empty).

Can anyone help?

Git

• 4. Re: Date of creation problem after making Bridge create TIFs with PS Image Processor.
                Curt Y Community Member

In Bridge you can not change Date  Created, but you can change Date File Created.  You do not have to close and restart Bridge, this will do nothing.  You will have to trash the cache.  Best bet is with Tools/Cache/purge cache for xxxx folder.  THen let it rebuild.

What you see as you scroll down sounds like the cache is being rebuilt.  Have you been purging the cache?

• 5. Re: Date of creation problem after making Bridge create TIFs with PS Image Processor.

Thank You again.

Yes, I have also purged the cache. More than once and again this morning. It does not change the result. Bridge still goes from the date January 13th 2013 to the correct date of creation when I look at the separate thumbnails - and back again when I scroll down the page and subsequently scroll up again!

Thus it seems that Bridge knows the date that the camera set but somehow this foolish January date keeps coming back.

All the folders with NEFs have correct dates - also the ones where I have imported the files from camera to pc in 2013! Only my TIFFs have this problem.

Rigth now I am having Norton 360 run a complete system scan. When that is done I will inactivate Norton (I know that I cannot have 2 antivirus softwares and firewalls run simultaneously on the PC) and instead run a complete scan with Lavasoft Adaware Pro. I have also used Norton Utilities and found no problems. Plus Malwarebytes Antimalware and Superantispyware. No problems.

If "date file created" is the date that the file was modified, it would not help me much. I often go back to a file and play with it again and if I have understood correctly, then this date would change again. I want to see the date of capture ("date created"). Also, by now the problem afflicts at least 1000 files. It would be impossible to do single file manual corrections of dates on so many files.

Update: While I have been writing this, an opened folder with only 36 files has changed the dates to the correct date of capture. I could also scroll up and down without the dates changíng in this small folder. But when I closed Bridge, restarted it and looked at the folder again Bridge again did need minutes to get all the dates rigth. Maybe I have a pc capacity problem instead of a software problem? But why on earth would this specific wrong date result from a too weak pc.?

Maybe I should just give up and reinstall PS?

Sorry if I trouble You with a ridiculous problem.

Git