5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2013 11:44 AM by George_Johnson

Editing field size from the left side?

ND Simulation Center

First of all, thank you for allowing multiple fields per line! I updated and it's a huge improvement. There are, however, a few things that I have noticed as a result of the change.

I seem to have a similar problem to user 'jaredstrapp' who posted the question 'editing the size of response boxes without them all changing shape.' Now that I can have those multiple fields, I'd like to reduce the amount of space between the label and the field itself. This would allow me to fit several fields nice and tightly on one line. When I try to adjust the left margin, all of the left margins in that column go right along with it.

Is there a solution on the horizon or is this a case of user error?

I've attached a screen cap to illustrate my issue. Page 1- perfect. Page 2- I'd like those far left fields to be tighter with their labels, for a neater appearance, grouping similar information, and more fields per line without limiting the number of characters displayed in the drop down.

Below that is the same form created in an older program (Pro 9, I believe.) Thanks in advance!

forms central.jpgold adobe.jpg

• 1. Re: Editing field size from the left side?
          RandySwineford Adobe Employee

Thanks for the feedback. We intentionally didn't change this behavior in the first release of side-by-side because it makes it more difficult for simple forms (adjusting all of those labels is time consuming). This is something we hope to address in a future release once we figure out a good way to do it without making the design tab become more complex.

If you have more feedback about side-by-side please don't hesitate to post it here.

Thanks,

Randy

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Editing field size from the left side?
            ND Simulation Center Level 1

Once again, thank you for being so prompt. That answers my question.

Not sure if this is your area, but is there another way to create a form that I'm missing? My employer jumped through some university red tape and purchased the software for my computer so I could update a vast amount of forms. I see that improvements are definitely happening and know that it all takes time, but I'm a bit shackled waiting for each update at the moment. Everyone with the older program seems to have access to more features than I do with my brand new Forms Central.

• 3. Re: Editing field size from the left side?
              RandySwineford Adobe Employee

Sorry I don't quite understand your comment. FormsCentral is a web based service - its always up-to-date.

Are you talking about desktop Acrobat? or the LiveCycle Designer desktop app?

Randy

• 4. Re: Editing field size from the left side?
                ND Simulation Center Level 1

Update was probably the wrong word. I just meant , for instance, waiting for support to be added for the side by side feature.

The original forms were created in Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 (desktop). In that program, when you select create a form, there is a Forms Wizard. Adobe Acrobat Pro XI was installed on my PC. In this program, when you select create a form, it directs you to Forms Central. Forms Central is fine, but seems to have less functionality than the Forms Wizard. Is there another product that I need to recommend they purchase that would better suit my needs? Is LiveCycle more like Forms Wizard?

Thank you.

• 5. Re: Editing field size from the left side?
                  George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can use Acrobat 11 to create forms that can be used with FormsCentral, just like you could with Acrobat 9. In that dialog in Acrobat 11 that directs you to FormsCentral, the other option it includes goes to creating the form in Acrobat.

1 person found this helpful