24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2013 11:08 AM by Ddelano

Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?

JwarrenA Level 1

I have HD Footage from my Canon HV30 camcorder and when I open a project and edit the video in CS4 there is no color Ghosting, but when I open a project with the same source files and project settings in CS6 I get a nasty color ghosting. Has anyone seen or experience this issue before?   I have included and example of the same frame in each of the programs.

Help!!

CS4 vs CS6 artifacts.jpg

• 1. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is that only while editing, or in the exported file and/or on a DVD played at a TV?

Please provide complete hardware information... Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

Especially the exact brand/model graphics adapter and device driver number

Example... I have an nVidia GTX285 using driver 296.10

• 2. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
            JwarrenA Level 1

Thanks for your help and patience on this. The problem is in editing and with Still image files from the CS4/CS6 projects as well as the MPEG2 1080 HD output video.

HP Pavilion dv7
            Intel i7 CPU  Q720 @ 1.60GHz
            6 GB RAM
            Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
            NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
            Driver 8.16.11.8817
            PPCS6 Ver 6.0.0 (319(MC: 264587))

MPEG2 CODEC: MainConcept MPEG Video

Thanks

• 3. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Why don't you start with updating the video driver and PR?

• 4. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm not seeing anything like that here.  I don't have any HDV to test with, but I do have plenty of other MPEG based files and none of them show this.

• 5. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                  JwarrenA Level 1

I will look into updating the video driver this evening. I checked through HP and they list the one thats loaded on my computer as the right/latest driver. I understand there are more recent ones from Nvidia that I will try.

I am guessing that you mean the premier pro program when you say "PR".  I thought I had the latest version since I upgraded from CS4 in December 2012.  I see there is a 6.0.1 and a 6.0.3. I will try that update.

Thanks for your input.

• 6. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                    JwarrenA Level 1

Thanks for your input Jim. I am using HDV tape and captuing into an .AVI file and then outputting to MPEG2 video.   If the Software dot release upgrades do not resolve my problem I could capture a short segment of the video from tape and provide the raw .avi file in a downloadable file to the web if you or anyone else would be willing to check it.

Thanks again for everyones help on the forums here.

J

• 7. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does it occur on the two formats from the HV30: mpeg2 (as in hdv, post 1) and dv.avi as in downconverted from hdv?

DV.avi should not be a problem. Did you put it in a correct setting. Please provide sequence settings.

Why 1080p or did you film progressive.

If you can provide raw material, please do.

• 8. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                        JwarrenA Level 1

I only tried it with the HDV Mpeg2 capture from the camera. I did film in 1080 i, but the 1080p was one of the itterations I went through trying different things. I would just select Field Options and choose "always deinterlace".

I installed the latest Video drivers and also Uploaded and installed the latest patch release of PP CS6  6.0.3..   None of these changes have fixed my Ghosting issue.

I have put a very short clip that has ghosting in it in my Google Drive at the following Link.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B61yVLhzRGS8V3dFSlB5RnBVdjA/edit?usp=sharinghttps://docs.google.com/file/d/0B61yVLhzRGS8V3dFSlB5RnBVdjA/edit?usp=sharing

The video plays fine in the raw format but still gives me lots of ghosting.

Let me know if anyone has some time to mess around with the clip.

Thanks Again,

• 9. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I see the same here.  I also notice that when I change the Field display from first to second, the ghost changes.  And when I set it to both, it goes away.

I suspect a minor display error here.  Have you tried exporting yet?

• 10. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                            JwarrenA Level 1

Jim, This make logical sense as being the source of my issue.  My frustration now is that I have to struggle through 8 hours of work work before I can get home and play around with it.

I took your info and looked around a bit as I am always trying to learn more. I searched the PP help and found the description at the bottom of the post:

I am trying to understand if "first field" and "second field" is refering to the Interlaced video's  "first scan lines" and "second scan lines"?  If that is correct I am just wondering under what circumstances a person might need to only display one or the other "field"

In great anticipation of this solving my issue. I give you a big pre emptive THANKS~!

P.S. Not sure exactly what you mean when you ask if I tried exporting it yet?  Rendering and outputing to another file to see if the ghosting shows in the Exported file? 

Choose fields in the Source and Program Monitors

You can set the Source Monitor and Program Monitor to display the first field, second field, or both fields for interlaced footage. The settings in the Source Monitor are disabled when a progressive clip is opened in it. The settings in the Program Monitor are disabled when the active sequence uses a progressive sequence preset.

•   In the Source Monitor or Program Monitor, click the panel menu button .

Select Display First Field, Display Second Field, or Display Both Fields according to your need.

• 11. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

under what circumstances a person might need to only display one or the other "field"

Set it to Both and you'll find out.

Rendering and outputing to another file to see if the ghosting shows in the Exported file? 

Exactly.

• 12. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                                JwarrenA Level 1

Well the first  field / second field Display vs  display both was interesting, but dissapointing. I had high hopes that the display both was going to correct the ghosting problem. 

It looks like the two fields /scans are not being integrated correctly/ accurately and that is leaving an artifact of one or the other depending on which is set to display first.

I did confirm that the ghosting is showing up in an exported file just as it is while editing.

I am not sure what is left at this point to try.  It is baffling to me why this would be an issue with CS6 but not an issue with CS4?

Any additional help ideas by anyone would be appreciated.

• 13. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Yeah, I see it here, too.

I can only think it's an issue with the media itself.  Something about it is weird that is affecting PP.  I say this because my own 1080i clips look just fine.

Do you have another camera to test with?

• 14. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                                    JwarrenA Level 1

Unfortunately I don't have another camera with HDV output. I could borrow another camera but it would be AVCHD.

I'm not sure about any issues with the media and if there is a way to get this in front of a developer type person who would be knowledgable about the differences in how PP CS4  converts HDV source into a digital file vs how PP CS6 converts the HDV source into the digital file.  Does the PP capture process use a hard coded CODEC that is different between CS4 and CS6?

I work in telecom and there is a huge effort to comply with standards, but interoperability is still a big issue even when there is a common governing standard. 

Because my PP CS4 software converts and displays the "Standard Compliant" source media properly (without any Ghosting/Interlace artifacts)  my experience troubleshooting technical issues tells to ask the question  "What changed between things working and things not working?"  I am drawn to focusing on the difference introduced with CS6.

As addressed earlier in this thread, it could possibly be interaction with display drivers (ruled out with updated drivers and because the exported files have the issue as well?). It could have been an issue with not having the latest PP CS6 software (eliminated with software update).  The only thing I have left is an interoperability issue with either my camera output having some varient in standard compliance that is causing the issue or the PP CS6 software  having some issue in interpreting or processing the streaming media input that PP CS4 did not have.

So for my situation, here are the specifics: I am using a Canon HV30 Video camera set for 1080i  30p HDV format to tape. Within the camera I have it set for shutter priority, at 1/250 Shutter speed. Now we know there are ~30 frames per second so this faster "shutter speed" must be interpolated/converted to blend into the 30 frames. 

To replicate/test the situation I would need (or someone else with one) a Canon HV20, HV30, or HV40 setup with the same shutter vs aperture priority recording some fast moving action.

My bottom line is I really like working in PP CS6 and don't want to have to stay in CS4 because of this issue.  Any ideas how to escalate this issue to the developers or any other ways to move towards a resolution?   

Thanks,

• 15. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

or the PP CS6 software

We have folks using HDV with CS6, and this is the first report of this error I've seen.  So it seems to be specific to CS6 and that camera.  Or at the very least, those captures.

How was it captured?  Have you tried a recapture using different software?  Have you tried some test shots using different settings on the camera?

The only way to 'directly' contact the people who can fix this is with the bug report form.  However, I'd recommend some more testing before you submit that, just because it's always better to have as much relevant data as possible.

• 16. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                                        JwarrenA Level 1

The captures were completed using CS4 and also CS6 with the same results in the ghosting issue. I did try a couple other different programs to do a capture and while the programs recognized the camera they did not allow a successful capture. Tells me that there is an issue with the camera output and CS6. It ironic for me that CS4 is more robust and stable in this respect.  With it hanging and crashing at the drop of a hat I was so looking forward to CS6...  Rule for working with CS4, save early and save often.

I have not tried different test shots with different settings, but I will try that as time permits.

I was looking through the CS4 field options and it looks like the display fields first and display both are not an option in CS4.  So for now I guess I am stuck with CS4 for all of my action footing editing to avoid the ghosting with CS6.

• 17. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>did try a couple other different programs to do a capture

Was http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm one of those?

• 18. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                                            JwarrenA Level 1

I did not try the one you linked. Have you had good luck with it?   I will see about dowloading it and give it a try.  Thanks for your suggestion.

• 19. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                                              JwarrenA Level 1

JIm, I wanted to update my issue and also as your advice on completing a bug report.

After doing additional filming with the HV30 camera I had suspected that the color ghosting I was seeing might be a result of the Manual Shutter/Apature priority settings available with the Canon.  I recently shot some similar fast action outdoor scenes in full sun and with Shutter priority set to 1/100 and then 1/1000.

The Color Ghosting is absent at 1/100 and extreme with the 1/1000 shutter speed. the original examples I provided in this thread were taken with a 1/250 shutter speed and the 1/1000 was relatively worse that the 1/250.

I am going to attempt to fill out and submit a bug report and if you have any suggestion or advice other that what you have provided I would be appreciative of your help.

Thanks,

James

• 20. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Given the release of CC7, I'd not count on a fix for CS6.

Your best option is probably just to turn the shutter off.

• 21. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                                                  JwarrenA Level 1

Oh Jim, Turn the shutter off...  I can't do my work if I don't use the fast shutter speed feature of my camera.  That's not an option.

I am an eternal optimist and so had to put in the bug report even though there is likely no hope of getting anything done with CS6.

I can get CC7 and hope that handles fast shutter speeds from my camera or I can buy a new camera, or I can continue to use CS4.  Money, money, or less features.

• 22. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                                                    Ddelano Level 1

I have been shooting on a Sony HDV HVR-Z7U and have run into the same issue.  In CS5.5 it looks fine but in CS6 it has the color ghosting.

I've imported it multiple ways using PP and HDVSplit, same results.

When I talked to an adobe tech support guy about it he thought it might have to do with the changes of the .mpeg codec they have in CS6 compared to the older ones.

My shutter speed was also at 1/250, which is needed with the fast action that I am shooting.

• 23. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                                                      TeeKayCC Level 2

@Ddelano: Does the problem persist after exporting the video?

Conforming and Playback Resolution can cause some interesting video artifacts that won't be present in the final edit, and I just want ot make sure it's not anything like that.

It does seem weird to me that you'd notice the change from CS5.5 to CS6 though.

• 24. Re: Problem with  Color Ghosting in CS6 but Not CS4 ?
                                                        Ddelano Level 1

Yes the color ghosting becomes baked in with exporting.