5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2013 12:11 PM by I.R

Workflow mts file to resolve

pajklja

hi

I have  a panasonic tm700 and I want to export my work into davinci resolve to colour correct.

i have a pc with lots of power but i'm trying to figure out workflow to export the files into Resolve?  do I need a transcoder program?

thanks

sorry if this has been brought up before.  I tried searching for it but couldn't find anything.

thanks

• 1. Re: Workflow mts file to resolve
          shooternz Level 6

Transcode to dpx files is one way you can do within Media encoder.

• 2. Re: Workflow mts file to resolve
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Can you export an XML or EDL to Resolve without transcoding?

• 3. Re: Workflow mts file to resolve
              pajklja Level 1

resolve doesn't read adobe xml or edl files.  if your a mac user there is a program clipwrap that works great but not for windows. 

I have read about a program called winrewrap that does the same thing but not much out on it and no reviews.

wondering if i should transcode before editing or between premiere and resolve.

• 4. Re: Workflow mts file to resolve
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Considering the source media, do you really need Resolve on this one?  You should be able to CC and grade quite effectively inside of PP using Colorista II and Adjustment Layers.

• 5. Re: Workflow mts file to resolve
                  I.R

If you want to rewrap MTS files on Windows, without transcoding (like with Clipwrap), you can do that with FFMBC (for example). Yes, you can than reconect original files to rewrapped H264 MP4 and new Resolve will be able to read your timeline. However performance will be far from good.

Actually there is no perfect workflow for Premiere > Resolve roundtripping for MTS files at this moment:

- You can transcode everything to DNxHD or Prores before editing, but that's waste of time and disk space

- With combination of AE scripts you can transcode only material used in edit, but again that's waste of time, and you'll have to rebuild your timeline manualy

One option in Premiere Project Manager would solve all issues with roundtripping and that's "Create new trimmed project and TRANSCODE media with handles". That way you would be able to edit native, and transcode only media used in timeline.

At this moment your best option is to transcode everything before edit. On Windows use DNxHD, pick bitrate according to your source footage, and everything will be fine.