1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 17, 2013 1:35 AM by GuyOX4

What is the replacement for design view in in flex builder 4.7 for cs extension builder?

_Moveon21 Level 1

Because design view is not available in flash builder than what is the use of extension builder in UI designing now we have to do design UI with xml which is very time consuming and boring  if there is any replacemnt for it than please help me .1 more thing i want to know is that when i make new default project in extension builder(flash builder 4.6) than it also not able to load design mode errror is

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\eclipse\plugins\com.adobe.cside.libsinstaller_2.0.0.4-33034\archive\cslibs\2.0\4.5\re lease\apedelta.swc- not respondingSWC file failed to load. Any component dependent on this SWC file will not be displayed in the Design Mode.The SWC may have failed to load because of:*  Incompatible definitions caused by usage of a different SDK version*  Missing referred class definitions
        • 1. Re: What is the replacement for design view in in flex builder 4.7 for cs extension builder?
          GuyOX4 Level 2

I have researched this quite considerably and my understanding is that Adobe have no intention of supporting Design View any more for Extension Builder.  In my opinion a very disappointing decision and one that is hard to comprehend.

The best workaround I can find is to create the majority of your design in a parallel, non Extension Builder, project and then convert/import your design into your Extension.  This is by no means as satisfactory as having Design View for the Extension you are writing but it is better than simply creating your layout by guess work/trial and error.

Although this has not been announced by Adobe, I have a suspicion that the reason they have decided not to put any further resources into fixing Design View is that Extension Builder as we know it is going to be abandoned soon, probably replaced with an HTML5/JavaScript method of building extensions.  My concern with this is that, other than wanting reassurances that there will be backward compatibility support for old extensions, There will not be a way of compiling an extension in a way that prevents people from seeing your code.

This is all speculation and I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.  Hope this has helped.

1 person found this helpful