7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2013 11:47 AM by Jim_Simon

How does the project settings influence the output?

Sunbank

A friend of mine asked me the question and I couldn't answer.

Do the project settings change the quality of the output?

Background: He has a Blackmagic card which can not preview 1080p50. Therefore he creates a 1080i50 sequence and import his 50p clips into this sequence. BM shows now a preview without  problems. When he exports the project he use the settings for h264 50p and does not use the rendered preview files for output.

He believes now, the Media Encoder use the original 50p files for rendering and doesn't care about the project settings. The output qualitity should be the same if he would use a 50p or 50i sequence. Is it true that the project settings have no influence on the output?

Regards

Helmut from Germany

• 1. Re: How does the project settings influence the output?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

For starters, your friend is talking about sequence settings, not project settings.

Secondly, he should use a sequence matching his media.  It does make a difference.  If he gets no preview out, it's probably because 1080p/50 is non-standard (and in many cases, non-deliverable).  Have him switch to the normal 1080i/25, or if he wants progressive, then the normal 720p/50.  All should work fine then.

• 2. Re: How does the project settings influence the output?
            JoshWeiss reTooled Level 2

Yeah, agreed with jim, if your sequence setting is 1080 50i your final output will very much be the same. Sure you could change your output settings to be different, but it will probably just put hold frames or something because it should be based on your sequence.

You could always nest your 1080p 50 editing sequence in a 1080 50i sequence for monitor preview. Not elegant, but at least you'll get playback.

• 3. Re: How does the project settings influence the output?
              Sunbank Level 1

Thank you. Yes, it is known that 50p or 60p is no standard for Blu-ray, but it is now also enclosed in AVCHD 2.0. A lot of consumer cameras can now record 1080p in 50 or 60Hz. The more expensive cards of BlackMagic can preview also 1080p50. As long as he don't create a Blu-ray disk it doesn't matter. But this is not the question.

The question is, is there a difference between a sequence of 50i or 50p if the output is always 50p and why? I believe for rendering the original files are used, therefore a wrong sequence setting should have no influence.

• 4. Re: How does the project settings influence the output?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Yes, there is a difference.  The sequence settings influence how PP treats the media, effects, transitions, titles, etc.

(And it isn't just BD that can't handle 1080p/50.  Not all TVs will be able to handle it either.)

• 5. Re: How does the project settings influence the output?
                  JoshWeiss reTooled Level 2

Yes a wrong sequence setting very much matters. Think about it like

this. Premiere is going to have to get all of your footage to match your

sequence setting. So for instance if you had footage that was shot at

24p and you put it into a 25p sequence, premiere would add hold frames

to convert the footage to 25p in essence. Therefore, even if you change

your final output setting your sequence setting very much matters. You

would essentially be getting that footage from 24p to 25p, then if you

export as 50p it would do a 2nd conversion on top of that.

• 6. Re: How does the project settings influence the output?
                    Sunbank Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

(And it isn't just BD that can't handle 1080p/50.  Not all TVs will be able to handle it either.)

In Germany and other European countries the TV standard is 50Hz, therefore all TV can handle the 50Hz and also the 60Hz.

I have the opposite problem, a friend of mine in the USA can not handle my 50Hz Blu-rays, even 1080i50 is a Blu-ray standard.

• 7. Re: How does the project settings influence the output?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

even 1080i50 is a Blu-ray standard.

Actually 1070i/25 is the standard.  You should always and only list the frame rate, never the field rate.

And 50p needs twice the scanning frequency as the normal 25i.  There may well be TVs that can handle it.  I'm only saying there are also likely models that can't, especially early models.

But this is all secondary.  The primary issue is that your friend should be using a sequence that matches his media.  It does make a difference.