11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2013 6:19 AM by Gib1000

Premiere CS6 Interlacing Problem

Gib1000

Hi,

I have some DV widescreen footage that I have captured via a Canon Xl1. I create a new sequence from the DV widescreen format and drop it onto the timeline. I have my Canon Xl1 hooked up to firewire feeding a CRT PAL monitor. The playback flikers on the CRT monitor. If I then reverse the fields the playback is smooth yet the timeline becomes red indicating the footage no longer adheres to the sequence preset. The sequence preset is Lower Field first. The footage is showing as Lower Field First in the Project Panel.

If I then create a DV sequence with a setting of Upper Field First and drop the same footage onto that timeline, Premiere states that the footage is incorrect for the sequence. Very strange, anybody help?

• 1. Re: Premiere CS6 Interlacing Problem
          o.f.

If you open up your media in the Source Monitor and play it back does it flicker? If it does right click the media file in your bin and go to Modify ---> Interpret Footage and go down to where it says Field Order and check if it says Lower Field First in Use Field Order from File. If it does check the Conform To check box and select the reverse field order from there, which would be Upper Field First if the above holds true. Now play back the same video file in the Source Monitor. Does it still flicker?

If it doesen't, select all your media files, right click Modify ---> Interpret Footage go to Field Order and check Conform To and select Upper Field First. This will change the field order for all your media files.

Now drag a video file from your bin into the New Item icon on the lower right of the project panel, this will create a sequence for you with the settings of your file and you should be good to go.

If it still flickered after changing the field order and viewing through the Source Monitor go to preferences and see that your video out settings are set right.

I can't remember if PAL DV 16:9 should actually be upper field first since it's been ages when I last worked with interlaced SD.

Hope this helps

-Oliver

• 2. Re: Premiere CS6 Interlacing Problem
            Jim_Simon Level 8

If memory serves, this is a bug with PP and interlaced footage.  I do not believe it's been corrected yet.

• 3. Re: Premiere CS6 Interlacing Problem
              Gib1000 Level 1

1of

Thanks for the reply. I know that I can change the footage to make it smooth, the issue I have is why I have to! - DV PAL is lower first, my files are lower first, the sequence is lower first, shouldn'y be a problem. If I change files then the format is not correct for proper integration and output.

Jim

What is the bug exactly? surely Adobe need to sort out such a simple (and a large) mistake? I'm think CS5 was ok with this?

• 4. Re: Premiere CS6 Interlacing Problem
                Jim_Simon Level 8

The output get's the fields reversed.  Try a forum search.  I believe there was a lengthy thread on the subject.

• 5. Re: Premiere CS6 Interlacing Problem
                  Gib1000 Level 1

This one? http://forums.adobe.com/message/4516219

I find it amazing that Adobe has not fixed this yet!? how can anyone edit intelaced footage properly with the fields reversed?

• 6. Re: Premiere CS6 Interlacing Problem
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

The fields only get reversed on output.  Your edits and exports are correct.  You just can't monitor.

• 7. Re: Premiere CS6 Interlacing Problem
                      Gib1000 Level 1

Jim, thanks for the information. But, as I pointed out, if that is the case, how can anyone edit properly without monitoring properly? There must be lots of users out there wishing to edit for broadcast SD?

Do Adobe employees respond to these forums? (I'm not sure how they work)

• 8. Re: Premiere CS6 Interlacing Problem
                        o.f. Level 1

As a workaround you could reverse the field order of the media and sequence for viewing on the broadcast monitor and doing the edit. Then when you export the master just reverse the field order.

• 9. Re: Premiere CS6 Interlacing Problem
                          Gib1000 Level 1

8of, thanks yes I can do a few workarounds with it, but I think Adobe should address the issue for us so we do not have workaround it.

• 10. Re: Premiere CS6 Interlacing Problem
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

how can anyone edit properly without monitoring properly?

Same way I do.  Edit without monitoring.  Then export to get it on the calibrated set.  Watch and take notes, then go back and correct.  Repeat as necessary.

It's not the most efficient, but it will get the job done.

• 11. Re: Premiere CS6 Interlacing Problem
                              Gib1000 Level 1

That may be a suitable workaround for you Jim, but not for me I'm afraid. It's not a practical or efficent way of working and no-one using a pro edit system should have to.

The issue is a big, basic mistake and needs to be fixed asap. Those seem to be the facts and probably not worth discussing anymore unless an Adobe employee is reading with an explanation?