1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2015 5:39 PM by reality-engine RSS

pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore

LucieG45 Community Member

I have a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet, photoshop CS6 and Windows 7.  I have no idea why, but the pressure sensitivity of my tablet won't work anymore.  I did a search on google to see if others had had the same problem, on a forum (I can't remember where) I found a solution that seems to have worked for many so I tried that...  Roughly, it said to uninstall my wacom driver, unplug the tablet, reboot, install driver, plug in the tablet and reset my preferences in photoshop.  I've done this last night and it worked, I was thrilled but it was late, was exhausted, so I turned off my computer and went to bed.  When I turned it back on and went in photoshop this morning it didn't work anymore, pressure sensitivity was gone again.  I get this little warning in my brush settings when I try to put it on Pen Pressure or tilt or other setting that requires pressure sensitivity, but it doesn't tell me how to fix it.  The only way I can get it to work is with the process I mentionned (uninstalling driver, unplugging tablet, rebooting etc...) but I'd need to do this every time I shut down my computer and that's a bit of a pain...  I've also tried installing different drivers, the latest one first, when that didn't work I tried older ones to see if it would make a difference to no avail...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  I'm starting to feel a little desperate...

• 1. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
          Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Contact Wacom and have them help you troubleshoot your tablet and driver.

Could be a bad connection in the tablet, a bad pen, or problems in the driver software.

• 2. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore

Thanks Chris, I just did that, send them a message, hope to hear from them soon... 

• 3. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
              Thunderpot Community Member

I just built a new computer yesterday running Windows 8, and Photoshop CS6. I also have a wacom Intuos 3. I installed the new Wacom driver (Released on the 13th of February). Photoshop does not respond at all to the pen. The tablet and pen are working within Windows. I was also pretty tired at that point, so didn't have time to spend looking for an answer last night. Has anyone made contact with Wacom regarding this?

• 4. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                OZEL_PIMOS Community Member

First of all, I want to throw it out there that I'm a long time illustration and production art professional who has been using Photoshop since version 1. I've used it on Macs and Windows machines. I've used Adobe suite for more than just PS, though. In my various professional guises, I've also used it for graphic design, book layouts, full production animation, video editing, web design, and a many other things. I am an all-round user.

----

I'm having pretty much the same problems as LucieG45 and Thunderpot, and the pattern of when it started is pretty annoying by its implications. Like them, I have an Inuos3 Wacom pen tablet. Other than that, I have the full Adobe Creative Suite 6, running in Windows 7 64-bit, on a really damned nice machine that's barely a month old (brand new i7 processor, wonderful high-end ASUS motherboard, full compliment of RAM, etc.). For a while after my fresh intallation of Adobe CS6, pen pressure, tilt, and all of those other wonderful brush effects were working just fine in Photoshop (with the latest Wacom driver from March 18, 2013). Then, last night at about 1am, Adobe asked to install a bunch of updates on to the entire CS6 line. So, I decided to take a break from my work, and let it update.

Upon coming back to my computer and reopening the PS file I was working on, I discovered that pressure, tilt, etc. no longer worked with my tablet. I thought for sure that it was something that restarting my PC would fix. That didn't work, so after searching over many forums, I tried the following:

1) Completely uninstall the most current Wacom drivers, restart, reinstall, plug in (as per the advice on Wacom's forums).

2) Repeat first solution after disabling Windows TebletPC Service.

3) Play with specific settings in the brush sub-menus in the vain hope that somehow PS would "wake up" to my Wacom tablet.

4) Repeatedly uninstall, restart, and reinstall *older* versions of the Wacom drivers.

None of that worked. None of it.

And you know what? Pen pressure doesn't work with Flash, either. It did before the update last night. Basically, since last night's update, I have this wonderful suite of software that has a whole mess of features that are specifically designed to take advantage of the specific pen tablet technology that Wacom supplies, that suddenly became disabled after the latest Adobe updates.

Some additional things that my searches in other forums revealed, is that this seems to be a universal problem with all Wacom products (Itnuos, Bamboo, Cintiq)  and all versions of Adobe Creative Suite since CS3. Further, it seems that every time there is a fix that is found, the next version of Adobe's updates or the next iteration of Creative Suite undoes the fixes. Even further still, this horrible trend seems to be indipendant of operating system, as I've seen Mac OS and Windows users alike become maddeningly frustrated over this (especially with Cintiqs, it seems).

This all seems pretty antithetical to any notion of customer satisfaction, especially as Wacom and Adobe dominate each of their respective markets, and as such, should make it a cooperative mandate on both of their parts to ensure their products work smoothly in concert. One would surmise that if one is to pay $2,600 for a high-end piece of software, then that piece of software should be readily and joyously compatible with the most popular brand of associated periphreal tools (id est, Wacom tablets). As it stands, I just spent $2.6k to update my software from CS3 to CS6, only to see my pen tabelt reduced to a glorified mouse.

No nuance. No purposed functionality.

I wish I'd known this before I'd updated my product. I'd have stuck with CS3 and my old machine. I'm very angry.

• 5. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                  Chris Cox Adobe Employee

You're talking about driver or hardware problems.

Please contact Wacom support and work with them to determine the problems with your tablet.

• 6. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                    OZEL_PIMOS Community Member

You obviously didn't read my post thoroughly. This happened right after YOUR product updated. CS6, my tablet, and my driver were working just fine together until the update happened. How do you explain that? That's not a driver or hardware issue. That's either a big mistake on the part of the coders who developed the updates or intended product conflict. And with this happening across the board with all Wacom lines, that can't be coincidence.

• 7. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                      Chris Cox Adobe Employee

I did read your post and found nothing that contradicts my statements.  But we've looked into these issues many times - and this sort of problem is due to the driver or hardware.

Yes, if you don't know the code or APIs involved, you might jump to bad conclusions.

But I do know what all is involved (and the fact that the Adobe apps don't share tablet code), and have sat down and debugged these issues more times than I can recall.

Please follow up with Wacom to determine the problem with your drivers or tablet.

• 8. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore

This is the answer I received from Wacom:

Lucie,

Sometimes this can happen with a corrupt driver file, can you please follow the instructions below.

Disconnect the tablet from the computer

Open your Start Menu and then the Control Panel Open Programs and Features

Uninstall the listing here for Bamboo or Wacom and then restart the computer

After restarting, download and install only the latest driver from: http://cdn.wacom.com/u/drivers/IBMPC/consumer/532/PenTablet_532-1.exe

Once the installation is complete, and the system is stable, connect the tablet As always, make sure your tablet is connected directly to your computer. Avoid using USB hubs, keyboard/monitor ports, or docking stations with the tablets, as they can cause inconsistent behavior.

Then, please make sure pressure is turned on in Photoshop. Open Photoshop, with a new document open, and the brush tool selected, press the F5 key this will open your brush pallet window.

Please make sure shape dynamics is selected and checked in as these are the functions that control pen pressure in Photoshop.

This was accompanied by a little image showing me how to activate the shape dynamics on the brushes.  lol

This didn't work so I wrote back to him and this was his second reply:

Lucie,

It looks as it Photoshop is not seeing a tablet connected or the driver. Please follow these instructions as they will do a deeper install.

First, Open your Start Menu and then Computer
                        Open your main hard drive, that contains Windows (probably your C drive)
                        Open your Windows folder
                        Open the System32 folder

Once here, use the search box in the top right of the window, to search the System32 folder for: tablet.dat
                        Delete any entries that come up here, if there are none, move on to the next step.

Next, open your Start Menu, All Programs, and your Wacom Tablet folder
                        Open the Tablet Preference File Utility
                        Click on ‘Remove’ under ‘All user preferences’

Now download and save this driver to your desktop: http://cdn.wacom.com/U/drivers/IBMPC/pro/WacomTablet_635w3.exe

the Start Button, at the bottom in the empty box please click and type Run and hit enter

In the new window that opens type msconfig and press ok.

Now in the new window that opens under the general tab at the top, under startup selection select diagnostic startup, press apply and then restart your computer.

Once restarted Disconnect the tablet from the computer
                        Open your Start Menu and then the Control Panel
                        Open Programs and Features
                        Uninstall any listing here for Tablet or Wacom Tablet and then restart the computer
                        After restarting, install the driver saved on your computer
                        After installed, Click the Start Button, at the bottom in the empty box please click and type Run and hit enter

In the new window that opens type msconfig and press ok.

Now in the new window that opens under the general tab at the top, under startup selection select normal startup, press apply and then restart your computer.

This didn't work at first, but I tried a couple of times and tried all kinds of different things that unfortunately I can't remember what and eventually, miraculously it ended up working at last!  And it's been ok since, not too sure how though...  Sorry if this isn't much help...

• 9. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                          ag10g Community Member

I was having this problem for a while, but then I read through this : http://www.digitaltutors.com/forum/showthread.php?34648-Pen-pressure-sensitivity-not-worki ng-in-photoshop  which said that the problem is caused when you open photoshop with a mouse and then switch to tablet. I closed photoshop and repoened it using the pen, and it worked for me, so I thought I would share that.

• 10. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                            Tidal_Wave Community Member

I had a similar problem and I was going insane.  For me though I was using Adobe Elements 11 and was using Intuos 3.  Additionally when I clicked Wacom Tablet Properties it said "THE TABLET DRIVER WAS NOT FOUND".  I tried reinstalling the driver and it seemed to work until I restarted and then I was back at square one.

I then stumbled across this link: http://zeico.tumblr.com/post/39457145207/wacom-tablet-driver-not-found-what-do

It basically instructs you to search for services in the search bar, click it, click Wacom Professional Service, restart this service, and viola the world can go back into motion.

I hope this solves your problem like it did mine.

• 11. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                              BigDave Community Member

When I moved to Windows 8, my old Intuos 2 lost it's pressure sensitive support too.  I tried various versions of drivers and nothing worked.  Then I discovered by accident that if I had the driver properties window open everything works fine.  As soon as I close the properties window, all tools revert to full pressure.  Now, I have a shortcut to control-panel Wacom-Tablet-Properties on my desktop.

Note, I don't use photoshop (too expensive!), I use LightRoom and Corel PaintShop Pro (I can hear the hissing from here), but it wouldn't surprise me if the same solution works for PS.

Hope this helps.

• 12. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                Levyimage Community Member

Just like the VFR issue in premiere which is a modern day needing a solution, it seems to me that fingers are being pointed instead of collaborative fixes. Is there some kind of political issue between Wacom and Adobe? Adobe is the leading software in the world for artists (photographers, designers, etc) and Wacom is the leading hardware manufactor for digital drawing pads. It's hard to imagine that there would be compatibility issues like this considering Wacoms relatively small pen pad product line. EG I have an intuous 3 which pressure sensing which works perfectly fine:

WacomPressureWorks.PNG

yet Adobe (all updated versions) says it's not a pressure tab:

Intuos3NotworkinAdobe.PNG

The only way I can get a similiar effect with anyone's computer with this pad is via the build-up option... which is not the same thing as what's needed. I use the newest drivers... and I can tell you that this pad has worked in CS5 but not since CS6. In my opinion, Adobe should reach out to Wacom and vis versa to mitigate these compatibility issues which many are having. Usually with the Intuos product line.

• 13. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                  Chris Cox Adobe Employee

We work with Wacom quite a bit. But every single time we chase down these reports, it turns out to be an issue with the wacom driver, or the tablet hardware. And most of the time it isn't reproducible on a clean system, but something specific to the user's machine that is messing up the drivers.

Photoshop will show the pressure capabilities if the tablet and it's driver are driving the pressure APIs correctly.

For some reason, your tablet driver is not identifying the tablet capabilities correctly.

• 14. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                    Trevor.Dennis CommunityMVP

I wonder if Wacom issues would best be aired on the Wacom forums where more people with similar issues are likely to be found.  That seems to be especially true with the carious Cintiq versions.  There is a 'Wacom' user name which is either a single or various Wacom staff members, who respond quite quickly, but on the whole, the Wacom forums get a lot less traffic than this site.

Anyone posting here with issues, should, at the very least, post the same questions over there. 

It has also seemed kind of fishy to me. that they output so many driver versions. 

• 15. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore

Thanks Chris,

Well I've tried it on a brand new (clean) windows 7 x64 build.

I've tried it on various other builds too.

Same strange issue ever since CS6... just haven't wanted to use my tablet regularly again until recently so now I'm interested in finding a solution without having to buy new hardware.

The only difference in Wacom's end is the drivers (since CS6 I lost my install DVD so I use the new drivers from Wacom's website for the product line I'm using).. my hardware more than likely isn't bad.

So since you alluding to dealing with issues like this before,

what exactly did you find was messing with the drivers on previous support sessions?

• 16. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                        Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Sometimes the drivers had out of date code installed, or corrupt settings.

Sometimes Windows tablet/pressure support interferred.

Sometimes third party (knockoff) tablet drivers cause problems.

But out of date drivers are pretty common, and bad cables or bad pens also come up every so often.

• 17. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore

Thank you, that's very helpful, I'm leaning toward Windows 7 update interference or drivers then,

I have access to a couple of MACs w/ photoshop so will test and report back if works, as that would confirm it's a windows/driver issue.

Also, side note, I'm not much of a programmer (just dabbled) so I can't really dive into the following topic but with website software API some times other developers throw a fit because of strict/buggy APIs... could this be the case with Adobe in that the API is very strict?

• 18. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                            Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Not so much.  And lots of people are using wacom tablets (and their drivers, of course) in Photoshop without problem. The cause is probably something local to your system - but it could be any number of things related to the drivers or hardware.

• 19. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                              psb Community Member

i have the same problem on my imac late 2013 and cs6: (brand new intuos 5, A4)

there is an exlamation mark, like shown in your screenshot, under control "Pen pressure"

if i press the pen, i can use it either full, at 100% or nothing at all.

i have this problem with 2 macs, and 2 intuos 5 ( in 2 separate offices)

• 20. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                soom1976 Community Member

I have a similar problem with Flash CS5.5 - it suddenly looses pen pressure, and regains it again only after I click outside of Flash several times. This is extremely annoying. I tried to reinstall the Wacom drivers, didn't help, then I tried to revert to older drivers, but it was even more frustrating, cause I could not restore my Wacom preferences - each driver version is incompatible with another version's poreferences - this is ridiqulous!!! I must say, I have a lot of problems with Wacom drivers with other software and hardware, and their forum and customer service is below any acceptable level - I have posted several questions about serious issues in the forum and contacted their customer support - guess what - no answer! This is what monopoly brings to..

How did you guys get Wacom even to answer anything?

• 21. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                  thisvivian Community Member

I don't have tablet.dat in System32: I have tablet.dll's.

• 22. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                    GarrettwMcGill Community Member

I am having the same issue; I was attempting to open the preferences window in CS4, and it froze. I had to ctrl+alt+del to get my computer un-frozen. I reopened the program, tried to open Preference, same result.

I searched around on forums and one suggested the way to fix this crash bug was to hold ctrl+alt+shift while booting the program to clear out the preferences. It did that, which fixed the crashing issue, but got rid of the pressure sensitivity in both the regular and blob brushes. I followed other posts on these forums about checking that pressure sensitivity was enabled in brush preferences, reinstalled the latest drivers from wacom (from April 2014), rebooted both the system and Ai, checked the Human Interface devices under device manager, but nothing helped. Instead, I find this error screen popping up every time I boot up:

Capture.PNG

I searched the entire machine, and can't even FIND WacomDesktopCenter.exe, let alone update the framework.

I'm running Windows 7, CS4, and using a Wacom Cintiq 24HD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm on a time crunch for a client.

• 23. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                      thisvivian Community Member

Thanks so much for your help~!

• 24. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                        Penzcrazy Community Member

What worked perfectly for me.  I had uninstalled my drivers etc like others had suggested.  The sensitivity was working in Corel Painter 12, but not in Photoshop Elements 9.  I tried opening PS9 with the tablet and pen instead of the mouse and the sensitivity worked like a charm.

• 25. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                          Zetron47 Community Member

I had a very similar issue and I eventually got mine to work. I checked Wacom's FAQ's... Nothing. This thread did not help either. So I figured, "What if Photoshop and Wacom are not the problem then that just leaves Windows. Worth a shot right?!" So I checked my windows settings. Control Panel >Pen and Touch > Press and Hold then disabled the check-box Enable press and hold for right clicking. I don't use Flicks so under the Flicks tab I unchecked Use flicks to perform common actions quickly and easily. For good measure I disabled automatic learning under Handwriting as well. (I know... but at this point I was infuriated. I was about to try everything)

I then re-installed my Wacom drivers (actually just installed the newer Wacom driver WacomTablet_6.3.8-4 over the older version WacomTablet_636-3. Yeah... I know). Restarted the PC, opened Photoshop and low and behold it worked. Pressure sensitivity and tilt were restored. Not completely scientific but I got it to work. That's the important thing. Let me know if this worked for you. Thanks.

Build: ASUS Rog

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate

Current Wacom Driver: WacomTablet_6.3.8-4

Program: Adobe Photoshop CS6

Device: Intuos 3     Model: [PTZ-930]

• 26. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                            Rembot2000 Community Member

Been having the same problem. It sucks that my job has been reduced to troubleshooting other company's software. Been having to use CC for mouse only functions while relying on my Galaxy Note in cases where I need pressure sensitivity. The response from tech support and forum mods has been nothing short of infuriating. Why should I have to be spending my time attempting fixes to your software? And if there is a fix why isn't it being rolled out in one of these updates that I thought was supposed to be the whole advantage of using CC? Migrating to CC has been a nightmare. Like others have stated the pen pressure crashes Photoshop every time I use it. Maybe I can pat my head, rub my belly, and do a little rain dance to try to get this thing working but I don't see why I should have to do that, I thought that was Adobe and Wacom's job. Anyone have suggestions for paint software outside of CC that will allow me to regain the functionality of my tablet? I got work to do and don't have time to fix this mess that has been made.

• 27. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                              Zetron47 Community Member

Try opening Photoshop with the Wacom pen and not the mouse. Its a short rain dance but its worth the trouble if it works.

Build: ASUS Rog

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate

Current Wacom Driver: WacomTablet_6.3.8-4

Program: Adobe Photoshop CS6

Device: Intuos 3     Model: [PTZ-930]

• 28. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                                Rembot2000 Community Member

Thank you. I tried it but it did not work for me. To be fair, the CC installed at my house has not been causing me the same problems as the one at my work. But shoot, if its some sorta company network issue I am not going to have the slightest clue on how to troubleshoot that. I'm not an IT person just an artist.

• 29. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                                  psb Community Member

still same problem since 3 years with 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 (testing 10.10). no workaround so far.

issue is always the same: i have a wacom intuos 5 large, connected with usb cable.

i work with an imac late 2013 with 32GB RAM and a mac pro 2014 with 64GB RAM (earlier it was a mac pro from 2006), both Adobe Photoshop cs6.

the sensitivity of the pen is not working, i tried 4 different pens, and different brushes.

sometimes it seems to work for a couple of minutes, later it doesnt work anymore.

i got used to bypass/managing the pressure with the keys 1-10, but i could also leave out the wacom, cause i bought it for having a sensitive pen.

• 31. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                                    Richbilt Community Member

Thanks for posting Wacom's suggestions Lucie. I've had the same problem with my old Wacom Bamboo, so followed their instructions - to the letter - and it worked! went into photoshop and the exclamation mark was still there, then i used the pen and it disappeared and now sensitivity works. So THANKS

• 33. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                                      GhostRavenstorm Community Member

Its "Use Windows Ink" that's causing this. If you uncheck it Photoshop looses the ability to read pen pressure for some ungodly reason. I unchecked this myself because I am getting really bizarre lag when I go to move slider with the pen. With "Use Windows Ink" checked photoshop doesn't recognize millimeter precision movements for the first few centimeters. But with it unchecked no pen pressure. I don't know who to WTF at. Windows, Adobe, or Wacom? http://imgur.com/rwEpKLW

• 34. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                                        yodacloud Community Member

I brought new wacom intuos cth480 . presure sensor does not work with flash professional. this is so frustrating. make me hate wacom and adobe.

• 35. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                                          georghilmarsson Community Member

I am having this issue now after I updated my graphics driver and wacom drivers.  I have both cintiq and intous 3.  Just updated (2-3 times uninstall, install etc).  Pressure is gone in photoshop.  Works fine in Z-brush and other software that uses pressure!

Very frustrated, as I am sitting in the office and deadlines approach

• 36. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                                            Volkscience Community Member

I can confirm the Windows Ink thing for Windows 8 and Photoshop CC. I just around and around with it to remember the last thing I did like a week ago was uncheck that box.

• 37. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                                              Osvaldo Schaukoski Junior Community Member

I solved this problem adding the application in wacom control panel.

17-12-2014 22-39-08.jpg

• 38. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                                                dennisonb Community Member

This doesn't work for me, and I don't know what to do. I'm using Windows 8 but thinking of moving back to my macbook pro as this is just too frustarting to try and sort out. It should just work and SOMEONE should have a real answer- even Adobe.

• 39. Re: pressure sensitivity of Wacom tablet not working anymore
                                                                                  sarak49314505 Community Member

I did as well, but they said I need to contact to Adobe support since my driver is up-to-date.

1 2 Previous Next