8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2013 3:12 PM by wonderspark

Premiere Pro CS6 performance on MacBook Pro models with 1GB 650M GPU?

Quamzin Kravshera

I'm replacing my aging Mac Pro this summer (after WWDC, when lots of new hardware will come out) and for a variety of reasons will probably be limited to using a notebook for the next couple of years. I realize you never see "desktop" speeds when video editing on notebooks, but I'm curious if anyone reading the forums has this sort of configuration...and if they do, what their user experience has been like with CS6?

- recent model 15" MBP or MBP Retina with i7 CPUs (late 2012 to present)

- Mountain Lion on internal flash drive (not a hard disk)

- maxed out system memory, which is 16GB at this time

- NVIDIA 650M GPU with 1GB (not the older 512MB option)

- all media/scratch on external drives (Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt)

My expectation is that this kind of configuration won't be "smokin" but should be very serviceable/usable for 1080p AVCHD and DSLR projects that have minimal fancy stuff going on. I have no idea how grounded that expectation is, though. I would really appreciate some real world feedback if you have any? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 performance on MacBook Pro models with 1GB 650M GPU?
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Sounds like a nice rig. I operate with a Quad core 2010 MacBook Pro and 16 GB RAM and no supported GPU for Mercury Playback Engine. Works fine.

I also have a fire breathing Windows 7 rig, but you don't necessarily want to hear about that.

1 person found this helpful
          • 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 performance on MacBook Pro models with 1GB 650M GPU?
            Quamzin Kravshera Level 1

Kevin, would you mind sharing a bit more about what sort of footage you work with and what your workflow is like? My cameras are all AVCHD, and trying to work with their footage in 1080p on my current Mac Pro is so slow as to render (no pun intended) Premiere pretty much unusable to me right now (so I have to rely on other things, or transcode footage out into massive files which is just as bad).

I'm hoping that the combination of i7 processors and a supported GPU would make native AVCHD editing easier on a current generation Apple notebook than it is on my aging desktop, but I'm just not sure...and sadly you can't walk into an Apple Store and say "hey can I play with some files on this thumbdrive using an Adobe application instead of Final Cut?"

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 performance on MacBook Pro models with 1GB 650M GPU?
              wonderspark Level 1

I'd be interested to hear about this as well. I normally use a Mac Pro with 6-core 3.33GHz CPU, 5870 GPU, 32GB RAM, Areca 1880ix-12 RAID 6, and a 3-disk RAID 0 for additional scratch for my video projects in CS5.5, which works great, despite using SOFTWARE MPE mode only.

However, I'm on the road a lot more often now, and I could use a laptop to do remote video edits. My dilemma comes in the form of choosing a laptop with more or less than 1GB VRAM.

If CS6 works better in software MPE mode, or if getting a laptop with the nVidia 650M w/1GB VRAM instead of 512MB is truly better, I'd really like to hear it.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 performance on MacBook Pro models with 1GB 650M GPU?
                wonderspark Level 1

Well, I suppose I'll be answering this question for myself.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 performance on MacBook Pro models with 1GB 650M GPU?
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

wonderspark wrote:

If CS6 works better in software MPE mode, or if getting a laptop with the nVidia 650M w/1GB VRAM instead of 512MB is truly better, I'd really like to hear it.

GPU accelerated MPE depends much on your source media, what effects and MPE features you use and your target format that you encode to for delivery.. Our new PPBM6 benchmark (you would have to register to see the results) with lots of GPU accelerated effects and features used can easily show 20:1 reduction in encoding time.  Of course in addition you have much less rendering required in the timeline. 

These are all PC results and there actually is one laptop with a GT 640M LE with much worse performance than the GT 650M that has been tested.  But you absolutely need the 1 GB version MPE will not work at all with the i/2 GB version.  Mac's will work the same as PC's, I have a dual boot desktop system and get similar results when I run OSX 10.8.2 or Windows 7-64.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 performance on MacBook Pro models with 1GB 650M GPU?
                    wonderspark Level 1

Well, I've run a few tests, and learned something new.

CS6 on my MacBook Pro has three acceleration modes now: Software, Hardware (OpenCL) and Hardware (CUDA).

I've run software only... not so great. Then I ran Hardware Open CL, and it "acts" like CUDA did on my Mac Pro with GTX 285... bars that were red turned yellow, and some things ran without rendering! I was pretty surprised by this, as I have only 512MB VRAM, not 1GB VRAM on the 650M.

This is only my not-very-serious edit-on-the-road system, so I didn't spec it out to be a monster editing laptop, but I'm extremely pleased by how well it runs with CS6. I have two very nice, new SSDs inside; one for OS X/apps, and the other for media, as well as 16GB RAM. Each SSD runs at 500MB/sec +/- whether read or write, despite the second SSD being in the space where the optical drive was.

It's too bad there's not just a *wee bit* more space where the optical drive was... or I'd try to stuff THREE SSDs inside, and RAID two of them for media.

So far, I'm really pleased with how well it works with only 512MB VRAM, which was the question I had wanted answered.