9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2013 1:21 AM by [Jongware]

Program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents (for Windows only)

Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

This program allows you to restore some InDesign documents that can’t be restored automatically. The current version of the program checks the integrity of the document’s block structure and corrects it. In some cases this allows you to repair a file which InDesign is unable to open  with Error code:5.

The program worked very well for me: all the damaged files were successfully restored. Thanks to the author — Mikhail Kondakov — for it.

Here is the original link for downloading it, and here is the web-page with brief explanation (in Russian). I translated only the beginning, if someone is interested, I can do the rest.

I also made it available for downloading from my site since the original link gives a warning in Russian which might be confusing.

• 1. Re: Program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents (for Windows only)
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Very interesting! It's not only of use for repairing broken files, too. The Export Text option is a very promising feature -- I can think of a couple of good uses for this.

Mikhail needs to address one small thing: it seems to me he separates text fragment with a return, so you get

unexpected

line

breaks

in the midst of your running text. (Something like that.)

• 2. Re: Program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents (for Windows only)
            peter minneapolis Level 4

This sounds great for those who have the problem and are on Windows. I only have Mac ID. I'm assuming that corrupted Mac or Windows InDesign files can be fixed on a Windows machine, and will work properly on Mac in Windows InDesign. Can someone test this? I don't have any corrupted ID files. I'll happily test a restored corrupted InDesign file on my Mac, and report the result - send me a private email.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Kasyan Servetsky wrote:

This program allows you to restore some InDesign documents that can’t be restored automatically. The current version of the program checks the integrity of the document’s block structure and corrects it. In some cases this allows you to repair a file which InDesign is unable to open  with Error code:5.

The program worked very well for me: all the damaged files were successfully restored. Thanks to the author — Mikhail Kondakov — for it.

Here is the original link for downloading it, and here is the web-page with brief explanation (in Russian). I translated only the beginning, if someone is interested, I can do the rest.

I also made it available for downloading from my site since the original link gives a warning in Russian which might be confusing.

• 3. Re: Program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents (for Windows only)
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This is good to know for "after the fact" problems where there's no back

up but I wrote this up on my blog to avoid such things:

http://boblevine.us/why-i-always-save-files-in-dropbox-and-why-you-should-too/

Bob

• 4. Re: Program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents (for Windows only)
                Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

Yes, the program fixes Mac InDesign files too. We work on Macs (in CS3) and were able to restore them on a Windows machine.

• 5. Re: Program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents (for Windows only)
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

Thanks for verifying my assumption, Kaysan.

Would you like to post a formal feature request (Wishform) that the developers incorporate the ability to open corrupted files into InDesign? Perhaps, when an "unable to open file" message appears, there could be a "try anyway?" option in the dialog. Just a thought. If you prefer, I'll enter the request.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Kasyan Servetsky wrote:

Yes, the program fixes Mac InDesign files too. We work on Macs (in CS3) and were able to restore them on a Windows machine.

• 6. Re: Program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents (for Windows only)
                    David W. Goodrich Level 3

Thank you for posting this.  Anyone who tries the program will see that the interface is very simple: as Kondakov writes, "Интерфейс программы очень прост".  As for translating all three paragraphs, I would certainly appreciate it and I expect others here would like to read a brief description of ID file structure.  (I regret my Russian has atrophied from when I was a Russian lit. major 40 years ago, long before the invention of words like "Интерфейс.")

David

• 7. Re: Program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents (for Windows only)
                      Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

David,

My knowledge of English is rudimentary. I’ve never been to any English speaking country in my life and had no chance to practice my spoken skills.

Below is a quick and dirty translation of the program description in full. I’d like to post it on my site as well and will be grateful if a native English speaker on the forum would correct my mistakes. I think this program can be a life saver in some situations and people should know about it.

Regards,
                      Kas

---------------------------------------------------------------

INDDRecovery  —  a program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents

This program allows you to restore some InDesign documents that can’t be restored automatically. The current version of the program checks the integrity of the document’s block structure and corrects it. In some cases this allows you to repair a file which InDesign unable to open with Error code:5.

The principle of operation of the program is the following: indd-file is a database in which every record is a block whose size is 0x1000. The blocks may be scattered all over the database, but each of them has its own type, number, and a checksum. Usually, the file contains the last two copies of the document. If the integrity of one copy is broken, InDesign takes the other copy from the file.

However some blocks don’t have duplicates in the database, so if a failure occurs in such a block, InDesign generates the reading error: 5 and doesn’t try to open the file, even if the failure is very minor and doesn’t lead to any serious consequences for the file.

That’s why many files that are considered hopeless by InDesign’s system of automatic restoration can be fixed simply by correcting the structure of the database.

Of course, this program can’t eliminate the failure completely, so if the structure of the document is seriously damaged, the recovered file will not open anyway. Meanwhile it’s even possible that InDesign would hang or crash.

The interface of the program is very simple. Click the “Recover” button — a dialog box will appear for selecting an indd-file. After restoring, a file called “Recover.indd”, containing a fixed version of the file, will be created in the current directory and a log file will open in Notepad which shows the block structure of the indd-file with all the bugs fixed. The program has a feature to view and, if desired, save the text included in the indd-file (the “Export text” button)

The program can be downloaded from here. Your feedback you can send me to this E-mail.

• 8. Re: Program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents (for Windows only)
                        David W. Goodrich Level 3

Your command of English is excellent, and I cannot suggest any improvement.  I wish I could write so well in another language (I noticed the typo in "слудующий," but you'd already caught that).  I suppose InDesign's file structure is documented somewhere (presumably in the SDK documentation) but I'm sure I'm not the only one glad to see the basics laid out here.  My knowledge of Ukrainian is pathetic, so all I can say is “Thank you very much,”

David

• 9. Re: Program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents (for Windows only)
                          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

David W. Goodrich wrote:

I suppose InDesign's file structure is documented somewhere (presumably in the SDK documentation) ...

The impressive thing is that it is not. Not in the SDK, and not anywhere else. I did a lot searching for this and only found one or two very obscure, vague hints, in all the entirety of the World Wide Web.