8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2013 8:52 AM by Folobo

Edit > Color settings (Bridge/InDesign)

Folobo Level 1

Hi all, today in office we have a discussion about Edit > Color settings (we use this setting from Bridge for syncro).

The question is: if i change Color settings (es. i change the rgb or cmyk working space) from InDesign i change only the swatches color? Is this correct? Because the graphic imported can (or not) maintain their color profile. What is wrong?

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Edit > Color settings (Bridge/InDesign)
          PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

The graphic that you're importing may or not have a pre-assigned color space already. When you place the graphic in InDesign, it will assign the current working color space, i.e. the one that you syncro with Bridge for all Adobe applications, depending on the settings in InDesign preferences for color management policies. Swatches will only change when you change the document color mode from CMYK to RGB or vice versa.

• 2. Re: Edit > Color settings (Bridge/InDesign)
            Folobo Level 1

Sorry i do not understand:

1) if i draw a frame filled cyan swatch, this color have the profile color that i set in the color settings?

2) if i import graphic with or without icc profile the assignment will be only when i export pdf, is it correct? If yes i do not understand this panel below.

Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 3.39.11 PM.png

Many sorry for this question.

• 3. Re: Edit > Color settings (Bridge/InDesign)

The Profile within the Image Color Settings refers to the color profile that you're going to apply to the image or Graphic on your document only and not on any object that you're drawing and filling with swatch. If you leave the Profile: as "Use document default", then whatever is maintained in your Color management policy within InDesign will apply in this case. For eg. If you've imported a graphic and in color management policy you've chosen to discard the existing profile and apply current working color space, then the image/ graphic color space will change as soon as you place the file. (Not during export to PDF). When you're placing the graphic, if you choose "Show import options" from the file place window, then while placing the image itself you will get a Color tab where you can assign you're required color space profile or rendering intent.

• 4. Re: Edit > Color settings (Bridge/InDesign)
                Folobo Level 1

Many thanks Shnath and what do you think about question 1 and 2?

1) if i draw a frame filled cyan swatch, this color have the profile color that i set in the color settings?

2) if i import graphic with or without icc profile the assignment will be only when i export pdf, is it correct?

Really many thanks for your patience!

• 5. Re: Edit > Color settings (Bridge/InDesign)
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Edit > Color settings (we use this setting from Bridge for syncro).

Color Settings is an application preference—you are setting the color preferences for new documents. So changing the Working Spaces in Color Settings will only affect existing documents if they have no color profile assigned (i.e., the Color Management Policies were set to Off when the document was created). If you want to change a document's profile you have to do it via Edit > Assign or Convert to Profile...

All native colors are assigned the document's profile (see Edit > Assign profiles...). The assigned profile isn't necessarily the same as the current Color Setting's working space

2) if i import graphic with or without icc profile the assignment will be only when i export pdf, is it correct?

If an imported CMYK graphic has no profile embedded, or the document's CMYK policy is Off or Preserve Numbers (Ignore Linked Profiles), it will be assigned the document's profile.

When you export a PDF, the Output settings tab determines whether colors will be converted or profiles will be included.

• 6. Re: Edit > Color settings (Bridge/InDesign)

1) If you draw a frame filled with cyan swatch, keeping in mind that the cyan swatch you're talking about is from the basic CMYK swatch library, then the CMYK numbers will be preserved/changed depending on the Color management policies only when you export to PDF.

2) If you import graphic with or without icc profile, the assignment will occur at the time of import based on the settings of Image Color Settings or your Color management policies. If you change the profile within Image Color Settings, then you'll see the effect on the image on the InDesign document itself. You don't have to wait till PDF export.

Hope this helps.

• 7. Re: Edit > Color settings (Bridge/InDesign)
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

then the CMYK numbers will be preserved/changed depending on the Color management policies only when you export to PDF.

The Color Setting's policies have no effect on export, they only handle how new documents and placed graphics get assigned profiles.

When I export the Output tab settings determine whether there will be conversions during export. So if I choose Convert to Destination with a Destination that conflicts with the document CMYK profile(s), all of the CMYK numbers will get converted—it doesn't matter what the  document's CM policy is set to.

If I choose Document CMYK as the profile, document CMYK values and placed objects assigned the document's profile export unchanged. Placed objects with profiles that conflict with the destination profile still get converted.

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 8.39.23 AM.png

• 8. Re: Edit > Color settings (Bridge/InDesign)
                        Folobo Level 1

@shnath @rob Many thanks - you are great!