5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2013 11:16 AM by TechWriterZoo

Expanding text boxes

TechWriterZoo

I am using FormsCentral / Acrobat XI Pro and cannot figure out how to create an expanding text box, so when the form is printed all the entered information is included in the document. Additionally, the current form I have created, once it is filled in and saved, when it is re-opened the fillable boxes remain blue, like they are not filled in. The entered text is only revealed one box at a time when you click on it. When we print the form all the text boxes print blank, like it has not been completed (even though it has). Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Expanding text boxes
          jcanepa Adobe Employee

Expanding text boxes is not supported.  As for the fields being blue, this is field highlighting.  If there are 3 or fields in the pdf the Document Message Bar will appear above the page and contains a button ("Highlight Existing Fields").  Clicking the button will disable field highlighting.  This Document Message Bar will appear for all users as long as the minimum field threshold is met.

-Jeff Canepa

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Expanding text boxes
            jcanepa Adobe Employee

I wish to add that highlighting in Acrobat/Reader can be disabled/enabled by the user using Preferences (Preferences: Forms: Highlight Color: SHow border hover color for fields).

• 3. Re: Expanding text boxes
              jcanepa Adobe Employee

A colleague of mine pointed out to me that if a user fills out the form using Apple's Preview application, if the form is then viewed in Acrobat/Reader you will get the behaviors you describe of not seeing the entered text unless the field is selected and of the text boxes printing blank.

This behavior may be true for other none Acrobat/Reader pdf clients as well.

-Jeff Canepa

• 4. Re: Expanding text boxes
                TechWriterZoo Level 1

Regardless of the highlighting option, the text is still not visible unless you click on the box. You have to click on each box to see what has been written, and the other boxes are blank / show up as white space. So, you can move through the document and click on each field to see what has been written, but you cannot view it as a whole.

• 5. Re: Expanding text boxes
                  TechWriterZoo Level 1

What product/platform would I have to use to be able to add/use the expanding text boxes?