8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2013 7:43 AM by Test Screen Name

How can I open PDF's in my favorite display-setting?

lbogaardt2

I am using Acrobat Pro.

I would like all PDF's to open in Single Page Continuous and 100% Zoom.

Under 'Preferences' and 'Page Display', I have already put these settings the way I want. Under 'Accessibility', I have also put the 'Override' settings this same way. However, PDF's still open with random page displays and I have no control over it.

What can I do? And why did the previous 2 ( ! )  steps not work?

• 1. Re: How can I open PDF's in my favorite display-setting?
          lbogaardt2 Level 1

Why has noone replied to this? Why is this such a difficult question? How can Acrobat not have a very simple option of setting the Display Settings to 1 default standard....?

• 2. Re: How can I open PDF's in my favorite display-setting?
            macromac

I think this is overwritten by settings in the pdf documents.

• 3. Re: How can I open PDF's in my favorite display-setting?
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I am not seeing the same thing. There are several settings that control this, but the accessibility settings that you mentioned should override any setting that the document itself specifies, though it's possible that a script or page action changes the layout/magnification after the document is opened.

• 4. Re: How can I open PDF's in my favorite display-setting?
                CtDave Level 5

Actually, the application is doing exactly what you have told it to do.
                Single page continuous directs Acrobat / Adobe Reader to "Fill the window with each page and scroll through pages continuously".

So the page zoom is "fill the window" with the "window" being the active window of Acrobat / Adobe Reader.

The percent page zoom is going to be a function of the size (on one's screen) of the application's active window.

A maximized active window will have a different percentage than an active window resized to something less than maximized.
                And of course there is the variable of the screen (tablet, netbook, laptop, desktop stand alone monitor (which in turn can be one of many different sizes).

As well there are the variations you'll see as you play with changes to the monitor display resolution. Neat stuff but straying OT.
                Well,  anyhow, the "fit the window" of single page continuous will "override" any separate setting for "page zoom".
                Got what you asked for; just not what you expected - sorry 'bout that.
                Be well...

• 5. Re: How can I open PDF's in my favorite display-setting?
                  macromac Level 1

I put the different buttons for page display in the toolbar - so one click leads to my favourite display-setting.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How can I open PDF's in my favorite display-setting?
                    lbogaardt2 Level 1

Thanks Macromac!

And CtDave, I don't think you are right. First of all, the PDF's open at random, i.e. it seems there is no Display Setting whatsoever. Some PDF's are 100%, some are full-screen. Some are continuous-scrolling, some not... And furthermore, if I change the settings to, for example, only select 100% zoom (in either Page Display or Accessibility), nothing changes! It's like these settings have no effect on the PDF's I open at all... That's my problem.

Hope anyone has got an answer for why Adobe has made it this way and what the point is of an display-override if it doesn't work.

L.

• 7. Re: How can I open PDF's in my favorite display-setting?
                      raeben3 Level 3

If a PDF author uses settings other than the default when creating and saving a file, your preferences choices will be overridden by these settings

Just a thought...  perhaps Adobe does it this way because money talks.  Adobe's paying clients are the ones making the PDFs using Adobe Standard or Pro full version. Clients will ask why don't "MY PDFs" open the way I want them to on users computers?   I.E., I want my PDF to open full screen so the users can see the design/graphic layout I spent hundreds of hundreds or thousands of dollars creating.

Most users are not paying, they are using the free version of Reader.

I like Macromac's idea of adding a button -- but here again you need the full version of Acrobat to do this. 

Seems like there should be a workaround for users who REALLY want Acrobat to open their way.

• 8. Re: How can I open PDF's in my favorite display-setting?
                        Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

These are good points. There is a constant battle between content creators, who want control of their content, so it looks "just right", and the content consumers, who want it "convenient".  There are many battle lines, and it seems about evenly divided between the two. You will be happy to hear that the content creators who want to make you read their documents in the "right" order, for example, don't win...