13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2013 4:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7

Ed C Jake Level 1

Why can't I import m2ts formats in PE7 as I can import mpg formats?

• 1. Re: Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7
          Barbara B. Level 7

Hi, Ed. PRE has its own forum, which is where you'll get better help with video issues. I'll move this for you.

• 2. Re: Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7
            Ed C Jake Level 1

Barbara,

I'm trying to import into PE7 so I can look at the video clips along with the photos for easier organization.  Please put the question in the most appropriate forum?

• 3. Re: Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What steps exactly are you taking to import this file and what exactly is happening when you try?

Also, what model of camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it from the camcorder to your computer?

• 4. Re: Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7
                Ed C Jake Level 1

The video comes from a Sony CyberShot DSC HX30V.  The photos and video clips were imported using Sony's program:   PlayMemories Home       which is apparently required to export video from the camera.

I then copied the photos and videos into an appropriate folder on my external HD.

The next step was to import the photos and videos into PE7.  No problem with the photos BUT PE7 did not recognize the m2ts files.

• 5. Re: Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7

Yes, that doesn't surprise me. I would expect that Sony's sofware is not capturing your video as an editable video file.

The camera shoots in AVCHD and MP4 formats. Neither of these formats is going to work well in Premiere Elements 7. (You can improve the chances by making sure that you've got the latest version of Quicktime.) Premiere Elements is pretty primitive when it comes to working with AVCHD.

It sounds like you're shooting in AVCHD. But are you shooting in 1920x1080 or 1440x1080? Your camera can shoot in either. And you'll need to know which because version 7 needs you to be very specific when you start up your project to choose the EXACT right AVCHD setting. (Make sure you also select the AVCHD with stereo audio.)

I'd also recommend that you use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From AVCHD camcorder to get the video from your camera to your computer rather than the Sony software. This will improve the chances the video will import into your project.

Meantime, I do want to recommend that, if you're going to continue to work with this footage, you strongly consider upgrading to version 11. Version 11 has a MUCH more sophisticated engine for working with AVCHD and it's much less sticky about matching the project specs to your video. (In fact, it does this automatically.) The few dollars it will cost you will save you countless hours of effort and lots of headaches.

• 6. Re: Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7
                    Ed C Jake Level 1

Steve,

For burning discs to view on an HD TV which is the best setting ........ 1920x1080 or 1440x1080?

I will purchase Ver 11.

Thanks for the recommendation.   

Ed

• 7. Re: Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7
                      whsprague Level 4

Ed C Jake wrote:

The video comes from a Sony CyberShot DSC HX30V.  The photos and video clips were imported using Sony's program:   PlayMemories Home       which is apparently required to export video from the camera.

I then copied the photos and videos into an appropriate folder on my external HD.

The next step was to import the photos and videos into PE7.  No problem with the photos BUT PE7 did not recognize the m2ts files.

I have almost the same camera.  Mine is the predecessor to the HX20/30V.  For those that don't know the camera, it is a moderately price pocket "point and shoot" that Sony decided should shoot stunning, stabilized HD video.  If you want a pocket sized video camera, this should be the first one you look at.

I also bought a big brother, the RX100.  I shoot in the highest quality 1080p60 AVCHD.  You can dumb these cameras down to an older format, like MP4.  But, if you want them to perform at their best settings, you need new software.  I started with PrE9, then 10.  The worked with the lower quality settings of AVCHD 1.0 and could be made to work with 1080p that was included in AVCHD 2.0. I was not until the current 11 that AVCHD 2.00 was fully supported.  "Fully Supported" means that 1080p60 was included.  You bought a 1080p60 camera so you need the software to match.  Buy PrE 11!

My "workflow" is the same as yours.  I use PlayMemories to move the video to my computer.  It does a few things well.  It organizes the files for me and, most important, allows 100% lossless editing.  It can trim, split and join parts of original footage to make new files with no transcoding or rendering.  It is fast, even on older weaker computers.  So, just for the opportunity of occasional lossless editing, I keep that in my habit pattern.

I hate to correct Steve, but the files made by the camera don't need "capturing".  (I don't know what capturing is. I think it may have to do with cameras that used firewires.)  AVCHD files only need to be copied.  The files are born as editable video.  The files that end in .m2ts that are made by the camera are all that are needed and can be used by most current editing software except PlayMemories.  PlayMemories uses the other minor files for it's special Sony magic.  If you don't want any of PlayMemories features you can get rid of the .modd and .moff files.

You can use PlayMemories, Windows Explorer, Lightroom, Elements Organizer or whatever to move the files from either the camera plugged into USB, a card reader plugged into USB or putting the card in the computer directly.  It does not matter how you get them there.  You do need to drill down a little to find the files if you use the simpler methods because AVCHD's relationship to Blu-Ray formats put them in a layered folder structure on the SD card.

Once the .m2ts files are on the computer you can put them into Premier Elements by doing a Get or Add Media from files or folders.   Again, you need version 11 for it to work.

One last comment.  HD files like 1080p are large with lots of digital information.  If your computer is as old as PrE7 is, you need a new computer for to handle them.  

Bill

PS:  Steve,  I signed up for a month of lynda.  I'm working on Lightroom and PSE.  I'll be watching yours too!

• 8. Re: Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7

Thanks for educating me, Bill! It sounds like version 11 will solve all of Ed's issues.

And thanks for supporting my course at Lynda.com! I hope you find it helpful.

• 9. Re: Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7
                          Ed C Jake Level 1

Bill and Steve,

Thanks for the help.      I'm ordering PrE11.

Ed

• 10. Re: Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7
                            whsprague Level 4

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Thanks for educating me, Bill! It sounds like version 11 will solve all of Ed's issues.

I think you are being polite. 

However, I think I notice that sometimes both you and Hunt have not done much AVCHD 2.0 work.  Your history has a lot of DV and Mini DV and HDV.  My cameras all came after I owned two 1080p TVs.  The only thing I've studied is AVCHD workflows and concepts.  My experience with 1080p was frustrating at first because it seemed that software didn't want to keep up.  The only cameras for sale when I started were AVCHD cameras.  Two years ago I had use the software that came with my Sony and Panasonic cameras to retain the quality but they were crappy at the creative aspects.  PrE11, and an i7 computer to go with it, is a milestone for me.  My "kit" for the extraordinary 1080p60 quality is complete.

My kit works really well.  Last week I made a rough and short video for a friend.  I ignored all of you advice about photo resizing.  I put some 1080p60 .m2ts directly into the project and added some huge RAW photos for the pan and zoom stuff.  It was not a long video, but PrE11 breezed through it.

You probably have, but if not, buy or borrow one of the latest 1080p60 cameras.  And, I don't mean camcorders.  Top prospects are the Sony HX9V, the Panasonic LX7 or, most amazing, the Panasonic FZ200.   2013 is the first time you can use cameras that do the amazing 1080p60 stuff and directly edit in the amazing PrE11.

Bill

• 11. Re: Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7
                              whsprague Level 4

Ed C Jake wrote:

Bill and Steve,

Thanks for the help.      I'm ordering PrE11.

Ed

Ed,

Ordering is step 1.  Step 2 is taking the online class for Premier Elements 11 at lynda.com.  You'll be good at it in very little time.

Bill

• 12. Re: Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7
                                Ed C Jake Level 1

Bill,

I will do.  I know that I will need instructions for the new program.

Thanks again!

Ed

• 13. Re: Need help with m2ts problem in PE 7
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

As there are some significant changes with PrE 11, over previous versions, all training in the new version will benefit each user.

Hunt

PS - I am not sure why some of the changes were made, but they have been, and I am struggling to get up to speed.