6 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2013 3:18 AM by KarlLeeChapman

Issue sending files from Premiere Pro to Audition CS6

BenDra24

Hi there,

I'm currently editing a 35 minute music documentary which has many audio clips from interviews and from tracks. I wanted to balance the audio so it was all around the same volume and then normalize it so it can be released on DVD and the internet without it being too quiet or too loud. I saw that it was possible to do this in Audition so I right clicked my sequence and chose to edit it in Adobe Audition. When it finally loaded it said that it had an error: the file could not be found. I then tried to export a single audio clip from the timeline and the same thing happened.

My footage and audio is definitely there in the project and I can render it, play it back and quit the project and load it back up again. One thing may be that the footage is stored on a NAS but I can't really see why that would be a problem. It was a problem loading it in through Prelude as there seemed to be no way to navigate to a network drive so I had to create a shortcut to it and then follow it that way.

While I'm generally impressed with the CS6 suite I have it seems like the integration it boasts lets it down sometimes. After logging clips in Prelude you cannot carry across the metadata with those clips into PPro and you can't lengthen the clips if you cut them a little too short. While the After Effects Dynamic Link is a massive time saver when adding in VFX or masking out mistakes in footage, it does seem a little clunky. Sending projects to SpeedGrade ends up being so complicated (often with reels being unable to be loaded etc.) that I find it's just easier to use Premiere or AE and sacrifice the precision. Finally this problem sending audio to Audition just makes me think that there's either something really wrong with my installation/computer or that the bugs in the 'integrated' suite haven't really been ironed out.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Ben

• 1. Re: Issue sending files from Premiere Pro to Audition CS6
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd recommend moving all the footage over to a local drive, reconnecting in PP and then try again.

• 2. Re: Issue sending files from Premiere Pro to Audition CS6
            Alan Craven Level 4

I agree with Jim.  I need a shortcut key for that !

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the footage stored on the NAS.

I never have a problem doing the "Edit in Adobe Audition" with CS6, but I have all my files on drives attached directly to the motherboard.  Whenever I have tried to use files on my NAS, I have encountered problems, often authentication, but also with slow data transfer.

• 3. Re: Issue sending files from Premiere Pro to Audition CS6
              BenDra24 Level 1

Thanks both of you for your speedy replies. Ideally I would be editing off my internal drive (or perhaps a RAID 5 tower through an eSATA conection?) but unfortunately I'm editing on my laptop which only has about 180GB free. The entire project is 250GB so I can't really transfer that across and then relink it all. I think what I may have to do if there is no workaround is just individually go through each clip and set the gain so it's all roughly the same. Painstaking process with the 150 or so clips but if it's the only way to get it done... I need to finish the project by this weekend so no time to order in an external drive (and no money as I don't get paid until delivery of the project). Thanks again for your help and if you have anny other suggestions as to how to speed things up they would be very welcome.

P.S. For a future solution do you think editing off a tower of four or more hard drives with a RAID 5 configuration through eSATA would work? Long term is that I buy a decent editing desktop but unfortunately I don't have the money for one in the near future.

• 4. Re: Issue sending files from Premiere Pro to Audition CS6
                Jim_Simon Level 8

do you think editing off a tower...would work?

That's generally more preferable than using a Laptop.  I say go for it.

• 5. Re: Issue sending files from Premiere Pro to Audition CS6
                  Alan Craven Level 4

When I must use my laptop, I have all my media on a fast 2.5 inch WD drive in an eSATA connected external enclosure.  Whilst this system is slow compared with my desktop tower, with two RAIDO arrays for media, I can edit problem free, provided I do not try anything too fancy.

• 6. Re: Issue sending files from Premiere Pro to Audition CS6
                    KarlLeeChapman Level 1

I have this very problem, however i'm using a tower but all my footage is on externals, I have found that when I 'Edit Clip in Adove Audition' PP then saves the extracted audio in a file on my internal drive which I can then import into Audition, kind of annoying but it's a work around? I'm on the hunt to find a way of reconfiguring which file Audition opens files from.