10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2007 11:47 AM by moltoquesto

plan diagram of location of player in 3D world

moltoquesto
      How to make a diagram showing position of player.this is for an architectural model, I would like to have3 a small plan in the corner showing the location of the virtual visitor as they explore the 3d model of a house for example.
      Any pointer/answer or link to tutorial would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: plan diagram of location of player in 3D world
          Erhard Zrust Level 1
          sorry don't know on a tut for this. Generally, you have to create an overlay of a map picture of your model (birds eye view) and an overlay for the point. what I do next in this case is create a parent script, and put it into the actorlist (for it receives stepframe messages). It has to execute the following per step:

1: ask for the world coordinates of the player-model

2: in case y is pointing upwards, take the x and z coordinate and translate it to a position on your map. If, for example, the upper left corner of your world is 0,0 and this corresponds to the 0,0 position in your world (which I always try to do for simplicity), your world has a maximum extension of 100, your map of 10, and your player is at position 50,50 in the world, it has to be on point 5,5 on the map

3: add to the coordinates that you got the locH and locV of your map and place the point overlay there - voilà

Well, sounds a bit confusing and might be a bit difficult, e.g if your map is upside down,...; I'm a bit pressed at the moment, if you encounter any problems, I could help again in some 12 hours (which is after the office day here for me) and write a quick script that does the basics

• 2. Re: plan diagram of location of player in 3D world
            moltoquesto Level 1
            Thank you for replying its very kind of you to take the time and I would be really grateful if you can help further at your leisure,I am in no hurry I am studying this aspect.
            • 3. Re: plan diagram of location of player in 3D world
              Erhard Zrust Level 1
              could you supply me with the (or any world) and the overlay for the map that you want to use? First I could base my script on something you can use (e.g: I don't know if your movie is dynamic or framebased)and second I cannot use the worlds and overlays I'm usually working with (because my client would kill me for this and I've signed an NDA). Maybe give me something to download it
              • 4. Re: plan diagram of location of player in 3D world
                Erhard Zrust Level 1
                could you supply me with the (or any world) and the overlay for the map that you want to use? First I could base my script on something you can use (e.g: I don't know if your movie is dynamic or framebased)and second I cannot use the worlds and overlays I'm usually working with (because my client would kill me for this and I've signed an NDA). Maybe give me something to download it
                • 5. Re: plan diagram of location of player in 3D world
                  johnAq Level 1
                  This is well within Director's 3D capabilities - with scripting

You can have two cameras active in a 3D scene, the second camera would be a top down view (possibly orthographic - no perspective). this can be shown in a corner of the main scene.

From there it would be fairly simple to put some kind of object or shape above your character's head - so it is out of view of the main camera and only visible in the top view. It can be a child object to your character and will act as a pointer in the top view.

The best tool I've seen for live experimenting with 3D is 3DPI (www.3dpi-director.com). It can help you figure out the lingo required

hth

johnAq
                  • 6. Re: plan diagram of location of player in 3D world
                    Erhard Zrust Level 1
                    hi john, I'm thrilled because I never thought of that, anyway there are some things I don't understand:

1. how do you merge the two pictures?

2. Is there a way to make the second cam look transparent?

do you have an example of this somewhere online? would be pleased to see it works easy like that
                    • 7. Re: plan diagram of location of player in 3D world
                      moltoquesto Level 1
                      Many thanks to both of you kind gentlemen
                      • 8. Re: plan diagram of location of player in 3D world
                        moltoquesto Level 1
                        Actually JohnAq I concur with Erhard's request, I have bought 3DPI and installed it but the tuorials don't cover amalgamating plan(camera) view with (perspective) camera view. Any examples please
                        • 9. Re: plan diagram of location of player in 3D world
                          johnAq Level 1
                          I don't have any working examples I can post, but using 3DPI:

1) In the Camera tab, create a new camera

2) In the Sprite Tab, you can activate the new camera, assign it to an index, and set the rect of that index within the sprite rect. You can't make it transparent AFAIK.

hth

johnAq