3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 7:43 AM by JimHess

Camera Raw 4.6 Compatibility w/ Win 7 64-bit?

MarkWeiss Level 1

I just did a clean install of Win 7 Pro 64-bit, as I am transitioning over from my old Win XP system.

I was running Photoshop CS3 with Adobe Camera Raw 4.6 and using Adobe DNG Converter to transfer my Nikon D7000 raw images to the format that Camera Raw 4.6 accepts.

Now that I installed CS3 on Win 7, I updated Camara Raw plugin in this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

where Camera Raw.8bi exists.

I replaced it with the new 4.6 update and now Adobe Photoshop produces an error when I attempt to load the .dng files that work with ACR 4.6 on the XP system. The error is: "Photoshop could not complete your request because of a program error".

I put back the original Camera Raw.8bi and that is ACR 4.0 and it works, but it's older than the version I use on XP, so I would like to use 4.6 if possible. Is it even possible to run ACR 4.6 on Windows 7 64-bit?

Secondary question SOLVED: How do you make Adobe DNG Converter remember its settings? I've given it path and preferences changes and every time I start it, it is tabula rasa and back to initial install settings and window position. I don't remember having to do anything special in Windows XP to make it remember window position, preferences and file location paths for source and save to folders, but it's been years since I installed it.

I just figured out that you have to run as Administrator or it won't save settings.