Are you making a DVD or Bluray? If DVD, the resolution will be 720X480. Encore may not downrez the material as well as other options. Yes, one reason to use higher resolution images is for transitions added in Encore.
What are your default transcode settings in the Encore project?
Edit: What format are the slides?
Making a DVD.
Default transcode settings are:
- MPEG-2; 720-480; Frame Rate 29.97; Lowers Fields First
I have also:
- Changed all slides to TIFF. no help
- Subracted the music from the slideshow. No help
- Re-installed Encore. No help
- Downloaded all the latest codecs. No help
- Reduced all images below 720x480. No help and it looks like crud.