14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2013 9:50 PM by Esreuter1

PC Build - have I got it right?

AlistairY

Will the following components be compatible with each other and suitable for CS6?

I have read as much as I can find on the forum. I gave the information to my supplier and he has come back with the following suggestion.

Cpu

Intel lga2011 Sandybridge-e i7-3930K

MB

Asus P9X79 Pro LGA2011

Ram

Kingston KHX18C10T3K4/32X hyper-x with Tall heatsink , Beast series , DDR3-1866 , CL10 , 8Gb x4 kit -(32GB) support Intel XMP , 1.5v - 240pin - lifetime warranty

Hdd

4 X WD black WD1002FAEX , 1Tb/1000gb , Sata6G , 7200rpm. 2 drives in RAID 0

Case

Coolermaster SGC-2100-KWN1 storm series - SCout 2 - Black with Windowed side panel

PSU

Coolermaster RS850-SPM2 Silentpro M2 - 850w ( 12v: 816w )

Blu-Ray

LG BH14NS - 14x blu-ray writer  support triple layer 128Gb BDXL/50/25/17/8.5/4.7GB ; SATA , 4mb buffer

Heatsink

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Turbo edition (2x fan) , RR-212E-20PK-A1 , aluminum fin with 4x HDT/DCH+CDC copper heatpipes

Gpu

Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5, with DirectCU ii dual fan design , geforce GTX670 , 28nm 

Software

windows 7 Professional 64bit 

I realise that things are not as critical as they were when we were putting together PC's for the Matrox and Canopus cards but I am still anxious that I don't get it wrong.

Many thanks to all you experts who give of your time.

• 1. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
          JEShort01 Level 4

Have you got it right - you bet! Looks pretty solid to me.

I would add a SSD (samsung 840 pro 128GB) to use as a boot drive and then do 2 2x RAID 0 arrays, or 1 4x RAID 0 array for storage, etc.

Jim

• 2. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
            AlistairY Level 1

Thank you Jim. SSD will be bought when next in USA. Very expensive here in South Africa.

• 3. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
              Alan Craven Level 4

Is the Kingston memory verified as OK for the 3930K by Asus?

The 3930K processor has a fussy memory controller and there have been problems with some memory sticks, particularly with a fully populated board.  Make sure your BIOS is up-to-date, as improved BIOSes have lessoned, or even eliminated, these problems.

Have you checked that your "Tall heatsink" memory will fit under your CPU heatsink?  You may have to install memory in the inner slots with the fans detatched from the heatsink - if that is possible.

• 4. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Alistair,

I second Jim. Looks good and the SSD suggestion is good too.

Maybe have a look here if you are interested: Intro Part 1

• 5. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
                  Andrew M Clark

Harm -

That "Intro Part 1" blog is very interesting; thank you for posting.

Though I'm a bit confused about the section of "About The CPU". It states that the 3930k and 3960k have (2) cores disabled.

From what I've read on Intel's website, is that these are (6) core CPU's. So does this mean that the CPU's are running only (4) cores .... or are they originally an (8) core design?

• 6. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
                    RjL190365 Level 4

Though I'm a bit confused about the section of "About The CPU". It states that the 3930k and 3960k have (2) cores disabled.

From what I've read on Intel's website, is that these are (6) core CPU's. So does this mean that the CPU's are running only (4) cores .... or are they originally an (8) core design?

The SB-E is originally an 8-core design. Two of the eight cores in the desktop i7 versions of those CPUs are disabled in order to keep their TDP to 135W. Otherwise, their TDP would rise to at least 150W, which necessitates the use of more powerful and more expensive CPU coolers just to prevent overheating at stock speeds.

• 7. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
                      Andrew M Clark Level 1

Thanks RjL ... appreciate the informative reply!!

• 8. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
                        AlistairY Level 1

Thank you Alan. I will pass the query on to my supplier for double checking but he has assured me of compatibility.

• 9. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
                          AlistairY Level 1

Wow Harm. Very interesting link. It seems to be the ultimate editing machine. The mind boggles at the disk configuration.

Thank you for the confirmation and information.

• 10. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
                            Esreuter1 Level 1

if i may make a suggestion.

I know i am new here and this is my first adobe spec specific design machine, i have built a few computers thru time.

Now that my credibility is smashed, may i suggest a full ATX tower. Yes they are big, but in my experience in building you will thank yourself when there is room to work inside the case. for the initial build and when you have to clean or service later on, you can skip on removing expensive parts to access others or remove said expensive parts so that you dont knock them and destroy.

also bigger space gives heat time to dissipate. nothing epic but i have found larger cases run cooler when all jammed up with HDDs graphics units and intense cpus.

just nice burger for you to take a bite off and chew on.

If your budget allows of course.

I, personally would suggest the coolermaster HAF 932 ADV, red is cheaper than blue because it has only one led fan, plus they have a rebate going on so by the time everything is said and done you end up spending like 20 bucks more for a great deal in cooling and space.

also, the 932 has 3 230mm fans, that means huge airflow at low rpms. and low rpms means low noise.

i say this because i own the case and i just recently built my system. still in the eggs 30 day return cradle.

thats my story and i dont question it.

esr

• 11. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
                              AlistairY Level 1

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Amazing forum, like having an extended (but knowledgeable) family.

• 12. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
                                AlistairY Level 1

Good point. It had crossed my mind as my present machine is very crowded.

Thanks

• 13. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
                                  JEShort01 Level 4

esr,

Your credibility is not smashed, but bolstered in my opinion!

I think highly of Cooler Master's cases and have built powerful, well cooled, and reasonably editing systems using their cases from both mid and tower form factors. I had quickly looked at the spec's on the Scout 2, seen 7 internal drive bays, 3 ext 5.25" bays and looked no further. You are however very correct that its fans, or should I say lack of fans would not be the best for a warm climate build and quiet.

Esreuter,

I agree with esr, the Scout 2 is not an excellent choice considering its fan design.

Staying in the Cooler Master family, and sticking with a mid-size form factor, the HAF 922 is excellent and so is the Sniper; they are only slightly wider than the Scout 2, but both utilize larger (200mm+) fans. I currently have a HAF 922 system and have been very happy with it; I added a Supermicro 5 drive x 3 bay hot-swap cage so that it can hold 10 3.5" drives with forced air cooling for each.

Jumping up to Cooler Master's full size cases, as esr points out, they do have advantages - easy to work on, good cooling, and excellent cable management. They are however larger - takes up more space, more difficult to move, and may not even fit where you want to position it. I currently have a 932 build and have been very happy with it too. I actually would have chosen the HAF X instead of the 932, but it was too tall for where it needs to sit.

Regards,

Jim

• 14. Re: PC Build - have I got it right?
                                    Esreuter1 Level 1

that is te downside of 932, it is a beast.

the shipping weight is 29lbs. so empty case is roughly ~25lbs.

when loaded up with guts ill bet it pushes 45~50lbs.

"i like my ladies with junk in the trunk" bender, from futurama.

"i agree" erik, from adobe forums.

op, your a smart person, take all that into consideration, your space, and fan layout.

in my 932, i have 7 hdd, well 5 and 2 ssd. that drive area luckily has a 230 fan intaking fresh air all over them, they ran at: top and bottom drive ~29c and the middles had an average of ~32c. not to shabby but with out air movement those middle drives will run much warmer.

i say had because i changed out the CM stock fan for the bitfenix spectre pros, impressed i must say, all drives down average 3~4c.

plus i have the asus gtx 680 card and like yours. weather or not you have the 2 or 3 slot version you have the direct cu2 cooling. the two fans on the gpu card dump the heat right on the southbridge. so a side fan will help out with this.

so yeah, wish i could assemble all the parts for ya! thats my favortie part of building, the build and all the tweaking.

just incase, unless any one has good luck with these, i advise caution when picking the asus utilties. They caused me nothing but hair tearing problems and ai suite ii can not be uninstalled completly, certian parts are left behind and still run! you have to uninstall and disable in the services.

ai suite ii gave me the most trouble. all the bios connecting caused random slow ups and once windows booted it would stall out for almost a minute!

your experience may differ.

esr

Quick edit:

3 or 4c doesnt sound like much, long story short, old fans higher rpms, higher temps new fans lower rpms lower temps. I run them in silent mode so if i crank em ill bet i can get 7 ~ lower maybe more.

OP this is not mean for you to consider changing your fans. Fan layout and air flow thought is most important before changing fans will help.

if you choose a case with well thought out airflow and fan placement there is no need to change the stock fans. i always had it in my plan to change out my stock ones because i wanted to.

dont want ya to over think things. Popular cases are pretty well engineered for great airflow and stock is just fine and dandy.

i wanted the LEDS, being an old coger i think looking in the case is pretty neat, so i lit it with all blue led fans so i can see its guts. i think it is just neat these days making your rig your own.

esr.