13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2013 10:18 PM by andaleebfatima1 RSS

Tagging PEOPLE Photos

scubagal57 Community Member

I recently updated to PSE11 and was dismayed to find that there was no PEOPLE Keytag icon.  My photos are still tagged, and I can access them through that drop down menu (although I haven't figured to to access it easily) but I cannot tag new photos in that menu.  do not want to have duplicate my People Icon (friends and family).  How do I tag new photos and put them in the existing categories in that drop down menu.

• 1. Re: Tagging PEOPLE Photos
          andaleebfatima1 Adobe Employee

You can drag drop people tags from the People Tags panel onto the images. Moreover you can create new people tags using right click >> add a person as well as by clicking Add People button from the bottom action panel.

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 2. Re: Tagging PEOPLE Photos

I’ll give that a try.  Thank you!!!

• 3. Re: Tagging PEOPLE Photos

Well I can’t figure it out.  I have PSE11 and there is no PEOPLE Keytag.  I cannot figure out how to get my new photos into the existing tags at the drop down menu at the top of the screen.  I have tried to drag the image up to the description, but it won’t let me do it.  I have tried the help menu, but the info is for older versions of PSE, and I know that because they show a PEOPLE icon on the right side of the screen, which I don’t have anymore.  Just EVENTS and PLACES.  Would have been nice if they had included that. Would also be nice if they had a help video for how to work the new organizer. Even worse, I can’t even figure out how to open that drop down menu without going to EVENTS on the right side of the screen and hitting the < which pulls it up.  Very confusing.

• 4. Re: Tagging PEOPLE Photos

See, if this your catalog is a converted one, click View >> Show people tags in tags panel.

On doing so, the right hand side panel where in keyword tags tree is being shown, will also accomodate your people tags from the previous version.

Now if you want to drag drop these tags on new images, you should be able to do so.

If not, then please take a screenshot of your Media view with Keyword Tags panel open on the right hand side and share with us.

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 5. Re: Tagging PEOPLE Photos

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  Last time I spoke with the chat group in India, I asked them about this and I was told there was nothing I could do.  I would have to do everything over again.  Much appreciated!!  Now if I could only get my cracked thumbnail files to uncrack!

• 6. Re: Tagging PEOPLE Photos

I'm glad that helped you.

Cracked thumbnail files? Can you please explain it more? How did you get these broken thumbnails? Is it in media view or in people view?

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 7. Re: Tagging PEOPLE Photos

I had several previous posts regarding my broken thumbnails, and used all your suggestions.  The broken thumbnails did not get fixed, but your suggestions allowed me to edit without causing anymore broken/cracked thumbnail files.  When it starts to happen again, I will go back and clean out the cache, repair, etc as per your suggestions.  I have contacted the chat room twice, and the last time they took control of my computer.  He did the same thing you suggested I do, and then he said it was fixed (it was not, they came back as soon as all the files reloaded).  My only recourse is to either re-edit the photos (probably about 200) or just resize in the organizer so I can see them.  I only have problems with four or five photos viewed across the screen.  If I size up or down, the photos reappear.  I maintain this has something to do with the read-only factor, because as soon as I take the read-only off, the photos reappear.  The problem is that the files and folders automatically reapply the read-only attribute.  The chat room guy said this was a microsoft issue.  (It only happens in PSE).

• 8. Re: Tagging PEOPLE Photos

Just to re-emphasize, please keep repairing and optimizing your catalog using File >> Manage Catalogs. This helps in keeping thumbnail cache updated so you shouldn't see broken thumbs.

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 9. Re: Tagging PEOPLE Photos

I have done it once, but will do it again.

I spoke too soon yesterday, the new photos I edited are now cracked. Very

frustrating. I had this problem in PS9 which is why I updated to PS11, as I

thought it was a software issue, and apparently it wasn't bad software.

Thanks, I'll try the repair and optimize again.

On Feb 20, 2013 12:46 AM, "andaleebfatima1" <forums_noreply@adobe.com

• 10. Re: Tagging PEOPLE Photos

Should I repair and optimize weekly, or everytime I see a cracked file.  Additionally, I optimized first, then repaired.  It appears that I should repair, then optimize.

• 11. Re: Tagging PEOPLE Photos

Hi,

Yes you are right. repair and then optimize. If the catalog size is not too much, you may try regenerating thumbnails explicitly by renaming the thumbs.5.cache file to say thumbs.5.cache.old. This will be present in %appdata%\adobe\elements organizer\11.0\organizer\

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 12. Re: Tagging PEOPLE Photos

I’ll give it a try, although my organizer is quite large—25,000 images. Maybe too large?

Thank you.

• 13. Re: Tagging PEOPLE Photos

Yes. Regenerating thumbnails will take sometime but there's no harm in waiting since it stands a chance to correct the issue.

Thanks

Andaleeb