8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2006 6:14 AM by Newsgroup_User

inserted images always have absolute local path

magir75 Level 1
      I'm quite sure that this didn't happen a few months ago - perhaps an OSX- or DW-Update or messed something up.

When I'm dragging an image into an HTML-Document or insert it through the toolbar even when the image is within the same folder as the edited HTML-Document the src of it points to the absolute local path starting with file://...

I don't want to use the site feature as I'm working with several sites and can manage them myself. Any idea, why this happens?
        • 1. Re: inserted images always have absolute local path
          Level 7
          magir75 wrote:
          > I don't want to use the site feature as I'm working with several sites and can
          > manage them myself. Any idea, why this happens?

Because you're not using a defined site. That's why.

--
          David Powers
          Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
          Author, "Foundation PHP 5 for Flash" (friends of ED)
          http://foundationphp.com/
          • 2. Re: inserted images always have absolute local path
            adeking
            The only way this can happen in my opinion is if the site is not defined correctly.

Try re-defining the site and updating the cashe and see if that helps.
            • 3. Re: inserted images always have absolute local path
              magir75 Level 1
              Thanks for both replies. Sadly this doesn't really resolve the issue. As written, I don't want to use the site feature as scanning my hundreds of files for the Dreameaver-Cache takes ages and I don't have any advantages in using the site feature.

Is there no way to convince DW to make relative links to images even when not using the site feature?
              • 4. Re: inserted images always have absolute local path
                magir75 Level 1
                I just tried to configure a site. The created links are still absolute. Tthey don't contain the file:// part as previously stated but refer to the correct location on the server. Still this makes no sense to me - why not directly refer to the file using a relative location?

Oh, I finally got it! IMHO this is a bug: If I double click an existing image within Dreamweaver and change the setting from "Relative To: Site" to "Relative to: Document" all subsequently created links are correct.

As it seems I changed this setting for one image and this setting sticks forever - nasty but finally resolved.

So although you where not able to give me a solution at least I was able to find it on my own by playing around, so thanks anyway :D.
                • 5. Re: inserted images always have absolute local path
                  Level 7
                  magir75 wrote:
                  > Thanks for both replies. Sadly this doesn't really resolve the issue. As
                  > written, I don't want to use the site feature as scanning my hundreds of files
                  > for the Dreameaver-Cache takes ages and I don't have any advantages in using
                  > the site feature.

Well, one advantage is that DW will manage your links correctly. That's
                  your problem, and working within a defined site is the answer.

--
                  James M. Shook
                  http://www.jshook.com
                  • 6. Re: inserted images always have absolute local path
                    Level 7
                    magir75 wrote:

> As it seems I changed this setting for one image and this setting sticks
                    > forever - nasty but finally resolved.

The "stickiness" of this setting is considered a convenience by many. It
                    doesn't stick "forever" though--just until you change it to the other
                    option. Then it will stick on that setting until you change it back again.

> So although you where not able to give me a solution at least I was able to
                    > find it on my own by playing around, so thanks anyway :D.

The solution was to work within a DW-defined site. I believe several
                    people provided that answer. The site-relative and document-relative
                    setting is one aspect of how DW manages your links once you are within a
                    defined site.

--
                    James M. Shook
                    http://www.jshook.com
                    • 7. Re: inserted images always have absolute local path
                      magir75 Level 1
                      > The "stickiness" of this setting is considered a convenience by many.

As long as one knows it's there ;-). It would've been nice if this setting was exposed somewhere else as well, either in the Prefs, the Properties of the image or the image context menu. Now I know and I agree that it might be useful in some situations :-). Thanks again for clearing it up!
                      • 8. Re: inserted images always have absolute local path
                        Level 7
                        magir75 wrote:
                        > As long as one knows it's there ;-). It would've been nice if this setting was
                        > exposed somewhere else as well, either in the Prefs, the Properties of the
                        > image or the image context menu.

It is, but you're not going to like the answer.

In Dreamweaver 8, the preference for site-root and document relative
                        links is in... Yes, you've guessed it, it's in the site definition
                        dialog box.

--
                        David Powers
                        Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
                        Author, "Foundation PHP 5 for Flash" (friends of ED)
                        http://foundationphp.com/