23 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2013 5:55 PM by Steven L. Gotz RSS

How to get 2 program monitors?

chrisdq82 Community Member

Hi,

So i'm using the reference monitor to check exposure and color and what not, but the reference monitor doesn't show a live feed during playback. It will only show me my reference information when i pause playback in the Premiere Pro sequence. Using CS6 by the way.

So i learned that my scopes can also be displayed in the program monitor, but then i can't see my footage.

is there no way to playback my footage AND see live waveforms and scopes? this is really getting frustrating to me. Or a way to get 2 program monitors so i can set one to all scopes and the other to composite video?

thanks in advance!

chris

• 1. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?
          J. Simon Community Member
          is there no way to playback my footage AND see live waveforms and scopes?

Nope.  Please yell at Adobe for this.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 2. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?
            Harm Millaard Community Member

The current simplest solution is to use multiple monitors. I'll post a picture tomorrow to show you what I mean, but in darkness the flash corrupts the picture too much.

• 3. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

hi and thanks for the response, but i'm a little confused about whether we're talking about the same thing?

i appreciate your help, but what do you mean by, "in darkness the flash corrupts the picture too much"? and i know that i can use to more than 1 computer monitor, but how does that help me see my scopes live as the video is playing AND see my composite video at the same time?

if you are able to do this could you please pass on how you accomplish this, i would forever be in your debt.

• 4. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

thanks, and i intend to

• 5. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?
                  shooternz Community Member

Open a Reference Monitor and  set it to display  whatever scopes you  need.

You will then have the Program Monitor displaying  your Sequence ( timeline) and your Referene Monitor displaying scopes of your choice.

Harm M. was talking about  taking a photo of his set up just so you know

• 6. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

hi there, and thanks, but i think i may not be describing my problem correctly.

i'm already aware that i can do this, though i do appreciate you offering to help.

but the problem with this setup you've described is that the reference monitor is not live. even if its ganged to the program monitor it only updates the scopes when you pause the video in the sequence.

now it is possible to display scopes on the program monitor too, and when the sequence is playing the scopes in the program monitor are live, meaning they don't just update when you pause, but they are constantly updating frame by frame, BUT then i can't see my footage. see my problem?

i want scopes that update frame by frame AND i want to see my footage at the same time.

chris

• 7. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?
                      Steven L. Gotz Community Member

OK, I think I can take a picture of this and get away with it - without a flash. (I had to back way up because I had a 45mm Prime on the camera and I was too lazy to put the 14-140 lens on in order to stand closer.)

I believe what Harm was going to show you is the left hand monitor. If you have two monitors, go into the Edit / Preferences / Playback settings and check the box next to your second (or third) monitor.

Capture.JPG

Here is a photograph of my screens. Not perfect, but not terrible. I think it will get the point across. I obviously can't post a full size image since it would not fit on most people's monitors. If you are using your Program monitor to look at scopes, then play the video on a different monitor. No, it is not the Program Monitor. It is better. Of course, yours might be on the right and not the left, but that is merely an individual preference.

Capture.JPG

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, I chose a frame to display that was way out of whack for white levels on purpose. I thought it would add more flavor.

• 8. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

It is a repeating message after Steven's post, but this is what I wanted to show:

Monitor_small.png

This allows for source monitor, program monitor with all scopes showing and a full display of the program monitor and the scopes are updated all the time when playing the timeline.

• 9. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?
                          Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

Having the scope on one monitor and the timeline on another is not very convenient.

I like to see them side by side on one monitor.

• 10. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?
                            nw42 Community Member

100% scale external video monitor should be mandatory - but even if you have - scopes doesn't work flawless...

If you use the MPE GPU Mode and adjust colors or move video layers around they don't update in realtime on the external monitor... so you can't check color changes in realtime on the scopes :-(

also the scopes performance is going down if GPU effects are activated...

So the scopes need some work to perform as expected - also a histogramm is missing...

(external solutions like an BMD Ultrascope are expensive and complicated to install if you don't use SDI wiring - so it would be the better route to install another GPU to get some shader performance free for the scopes instead of setting up another PC...)

• 11. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

What is stopping you from this configuration?

Monitor_small_1.png

• 12. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?
                                nw42 Community Member

Hi Harm,

"What is stopping you from this configuration?"

--> I use Premiere with MPE GPU and external monitor connected via Display Port

1. If I set the programm monitor to scopes I don't see color corrector adjustments in realtime at the external monitor.

(I see realtime scopes at the program monitor but the external monitor isn't updated since I stop dragging a slider - so I don't see the color change until mouse release...)

2. same thing if I transform a video layer - if for example I move a video layer I don't see the movement on the external screen until mouse release - so you don't can move it interactively to a new pos. (on the proram monitor set to scopes everything is updated in realtime)

3. Premiere scopes are running smoothly as long as no effects are applied to the sequence - so I have to decide between realtime scopes versus realtime GPU effects on the other side (with GPU effects the scope refresh becomes very slowly)

as long as I don't saturate CPU or GPU shaders to much I don't see why the scopes are slowing down... (I suspect they are implemented in a way that doesn't run smootly along with te GPU effects)

• 13. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

Oh well, then I suppose you need to add your name to the list.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I have never used a workflow that required realtime scopes during color correction, so it isn't an issue for me. But perhaps adding your name to a list with Ann's name on it could be the final push needed to get Adobe's attention.

• 14. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

hey Harm.

again i appreciate the help, but does this makes the scopes play in realtime? i apologize i've been using the term "live" up until this point which isn't very scientific, but what i'm wanting is realtime scopes and realtime video. in our office we've tried the dual computer monitor setup and this doesn't exactly solve my problem unless the scopes can play in realtime AND my video plays in realtime.

• 15. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

yea that my wish too. is to get these to run realtime. i don't see why this isn't possible? i mean what if exposure in a shot changes from its beginning to its ending? i don't want to only color correct a single frame in a clip, but the entire clip :-/

i guess the argument could be made "well then u should film it properly to begin with so the entire clip can be uniform" but thats not always a 100% possibility, sometimes i can't help it when lighting situations change or a crazy over saturated object comes in and out of shot :-( especially in a work environment where my boss hands me footage to edit and even though it may not have been filmed perfectly i'm still expected to perform.

hey everyone thanks for all your help, i am sorry i may not have been completely clear, and you've been a great help in even giving this topic the time of day. its a minor gripe, and i don't want to make it a super big deal, but its still something my co-workers and me wish was implemented so we'll be sending a feature request to Adobe.

• 16. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?
                                        nw42 Community Member

Hi chrisdq82,

Yes - you set the program monitor to scopes and connect an second external fullscreen video monitor...

when you press play - you will get "realtime scopes" in the program monitor and fullscreen playback at the external monitor as you wanted...

• 17. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

oh ok, how do i get the second monitor to be a full screen video monitor? is that something i'll have to activate in settings? sorry if thats a dumb question

• 18. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

Please read post #7. If that doesn't help, I will put together a tutorial.

• 19. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?
                                              nw42 Community Member

as Steven already wrote above:

If you have two monitors, go into the Edit / Preferences / Playback settings and check the box next to your second (or third) monitor.

He also had a screenshot in his post...

• 20. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

hey harm, upon testing this i figured it out. unfortunately its not playing on the 2nd monitor full screen (???)

i'll post a picture shortly.

but i went into preferences, the playback and click the check box next to the 2nd monitor and its not full screen...   no bueno.

thanks man

• 21. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

thanks man, i somehow didn't see this reply at first :-/ sorry

• 22. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

and now it works for some reason....    lol

• 23. Re: How to get 2 program monitors?

Persistance? When you want something bad enough, you keep after it.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.