28 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2017 12:53 PM by rachelbthatsme

Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen

AlistairP81

Hello,

The problem I have is that when I open Premiere Elements 11 I get a message stating that "We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver. Display driver details :Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 3.0.0 - Build 9.17.10.2932" 

...and then when I load up some video and try and preview,  the main central screen is blank.

I feel that I have tried every solution in every thread relating to this issue with no joy, but have not seen any for Premiere Elements 11 so hoping that there is still a resolve out there for me!

I bought a Samsung NP350V5C which has an Intel HD 4000 graphics card, I have downloaded the latest drivers directly from Intel with no luck.

I would be very grateful if anyone out there could help,

Many thanks,

Alistair

• 1. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
          JMJarrige Level 2

Have you tried to delete the 'Baddrivers.txt' file as mentioned on threads in this forum ?

JM

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
            AlistairP81 Level 1

Hello,

I have tried searching for this file but elements 11 does not have it. Could it be named something different?

Thanks,

Alistair

• 3. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Having gotten the "Incompatible Display Driver" error message, the BadDrivers.TXT file should be on your system.

From Start, go to Search, and type in "baddriver," without the quotation marks, and Search the entire C:\. The file should show up. Now, you may have to change some settings in your Control Panel>Folder Options>View Tab, to "Show hidden files and folders," and I would also check "Display the contents of system folders," and uncheck "Hide extenstions for known types," and "Hide protected operating system files."

When setting up my OS, I do those things automatically, and often forget that most users leave the default, which hides file extensions, system and hidden files/folders.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                AlistairP81 Level 1

Wow, finally working! Thanks sooo much!!!! Tried finding that file before but would not pick it up until I made the folder viewing adjustments you advised!!

Thanks again,

Alistair

• 5. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Alistair,

Great news!

As I mentioned, I often forget to cite those changes, as I just assume that everyone is like me, and they just do that when the computer is first built. The Windows default is to hide most stuff, which in, and of itself, is not all bad - until someone needs to correct something, or find a system, or hidden file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                    BennettPank000 Level 1

Hi Bill,

I am having the same issue, I have followed all the steps you suggested but cannot find the baddriver txt file.

What else can I do that get Elements working?

Thanks again

Chris

• 7. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                      BennettPank000 Level 1

Hi Bill,

I am runing on Windows 7, Intel (R) HD Graphics (recently upgrated), 64 bit. Elements take over an hour to open, all other programes work fine any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

• 8. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

BennettPank000

Can we assume that your video card driver is up to date according the web site of the manufacturer of the video card?

If so, the BadDrivers.txt file is your next step. It is there in your Windows 7 64 bit system.

Local Disc C

Program Data - (not Program Files (x86) nor Program Files, but rather Program Data)

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

Critical...Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives needs to be in effect in order to see

this path.

But, it is not clear what your current issue is -

a. are you still getting the video card (display card) error message?

b." Elements take over an hour to open, all other programes work fine any ideas?" - is this for old and

new projects?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed and are you running Premiere Elements from a

User Account with Administrative Privileges or have you right clicked the program's desktop icon and

clicked on Run As Administrator?

Please describe your Windows 7 64 bit resources?

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                          arkansasred

Deleting the Baddrivers fixed mine too!!!!  Thank you!

• 10. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

arkansasred

Wonderful news. Great job sorting through display troubleshooting to arrive at your success.

If you have time, could you please give us some of your background details, such as

Premiere Elements version

Computer Operating system on which the Premiere Elements was installed

Major way the problem was presenting....just with the display card error or with other signs as well.

We are very pleased with your success.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                              arkansasred Level 1

I couldn't even open Adobe Elements 11.  It would freeze the entire computer and I would have to restart.  Couldn't even bring up the task manager.  I would just get the baddriver message and then FROZEN!  I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 8 and plenty of memory.  I did a search of the C/ drive AFTER I went into view and clicked on Hidden Files so I could see them.  Search turned up the baddrivers file, I deleted it and I. Am. In. Business.  No problems.  Thanks again!

• 12. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                LTW

Hi,

mine is Adobe Premiere 12 and in Windows 7 platform. I followed your teps and got BadDriver.txt removed from C drive under Adobe --> Elements Premiere but it keeps creating itself and therefore Adobe keeps giving me the same error.

You have had the clearest answers as of now that's why I am turning to you.

Thank you

• 13. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

arkansasred

Thanks for the follow up great news.

The BadDrivers.txt file deletion appears to have come to the rescue again. It has helped many  using version 9 as well as other versions.

The rationale behind this deletion is found in post numbered 10 of the following thread.

Re: Premiere Elements 9 Tryout Serious Display Problem

ATR

• 14. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Itw

Thanks for the reply.

When you delete the BadDrivers.txt file, it is normal for a new BadDrivers.txt file to be created by the program when you open Premiere Elements after deletion of this file....with the new BadDrivers.txt file, the display error message and its associated problems are hoped to be gone. The rationale behind that BadDrivers.txt file is given in post 10 in the following thread

Re: Premiere Elements 9 Tryout Serious Display Problem

Have you gone through the drill of assuring that your video card/graphics card driver is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer? Did you find the BadDrivers.txt file for version 12 in the Premiere Elements Folder in the route

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

the BadDrivers.txt file for Premiere Elements 12 is not in any of the folders in the Premiere Elements folder. It is a file in the Premiere Elements Folder not in any of the folders in the Premiere Elements Folder. Do you confirm that?

What is the nature of your problem

a. just the display card error message

or

b. distortion in the display, such as image and window trailings?

or

c. display card error message only with import of certain source video

If "b", please tell us what Windows 7 theme you are using....If not one of the Aero ones, that could be creating the problem. The Windows 7 Basic and High Contrast Themes and a related option have been found to be the cause of display distortions.

Also, if you can get into the Expert workspace, please update from 12 to 12.1 Update using the Help Menu/Update.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                      LTW Level 1

I've tried everything, I checked the updates for display driver, I deleted baddriver.txt , but it still says on the screen:

" We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver"

• 16. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

LTW

Please remind me

What video card/graphics card does your computer use? And, does your computer use more than 1 card? Please refer to Device Manager/Display Adapters.

Are you working with one or two monitors? If two, then try disconnecting the supplemental monitor.

Because of the specific nature of your error message, I hesitate to make other suggestions. But, in view on the situation...

1. Let us try deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if that does not work, deletion of the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

2. If "1" has no impact on the situation, we could try for deactivation in Help Menu/Deactivate, uninstall, free ccleaner run through (regular and registry), reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

CCleaner - Download

3. Have you tried installing and reinstalling the video card/graphics and its driver? Or, even rolling back the driver version to determine if that has any impact on the problem.

Thanks for the follow ups. We will keep trying to find the answer to your issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                          LTW Level 1

I have intel(R) HD Graphics Family

• 18. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                            LTW Level 1

I am going to uninstall and start all over to see whether it will occur again.

• 19. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

LTW

Thanks for the replies.

Uninstall/start over seems like a good idea.

But, I would go the full route on that...

1. Deactivate (Help Menu/Sign Out) from within an opened project (if you can get into the project to do that - if not skip)

2. Uninstall via Control Panel route

3. Free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete installs and reinstalls.

CCleaner - Download

4. Reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Watching (hoping) for news of success.

ATR

• 20. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                                LTW Level 1

Hi,

Adobe technical support called me yesterday and I was on the phone with him 2 hours. He took my computer over via Teamviewer and suddenly everything was working with no problem. I was trying to open it and it was working. As soon as he left my computer it didn't work any more. We tried to install it into my other laptop which has exactly the same graphics cards with no updates and it was doing exactly the same thing: working when he was in my computer and not working as soon as he left. He said he has not seen this kind of problem before and suppose to call me back tonight. Anybody has any idea what could cause this?

• 21. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

LTW

Thanks for that follow up news.

Your best hope at this point is for Adobe technical support to pin point the problem with this one variable - works for them with the remote connection but not without the remote connection.

My first impression was some sort of security issue. But, your results on the second computer do not make that a neat fit.

What is the comparison of antivirus and firewall(s) - your present computer and laptop?

You wrote

He took my computer over via Teamviewer and suddenly everything was working with no problem

Does that mean that he saw the problem, did some fixes, and every worked or does that mean that he connected to your computer and suddenly everything worked without any troubleshooting on his side and never actually saw the problem that you called about?

Did he ever suggest any activation issues?

We will be watching for further developments. I will continue to think about this.

ATR

• 22. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                                    LTW Level 1

There was no problem at all. He did not see any problem it just started working for him. He said he has few ideas but he will call me tonight to see whether we get it working. My husband is beyond aggravated at this and is about to walk back to Best Buy to return the item. He said we are not willing to pay $100 to go through this for days. It should not be that complicated.

• 23. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

LTW

I did a quick look up on this Teamviewer. One of its FAQ says that it can can through almost all firewalls in making the Internet connection.

Please remind me...did you confirm that your problem exists with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

Do you have any other computer security measures in effect? What about the Internet settings? Any changes before after his visit?

I am very much looking forward to your call back from Adobe. But, in all this, do not get beyond the point where your money

back return from the seller is jeopardized. But, still thinking positive thoughts.

ATR

• 24. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                                        LTW Level 1

I tried turning off Firewall and that did not work. But turning off my antivirus is not an option .. I have an antivirus for a reazon.

• 25. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

LTW

Thanks for the update.

I did not mean for you to turn off the antivirus permanently just for a short troubleshooting session (few minutes). And, if the antivirus program was involved, then you would need to make decision about going to another antivirus program and/or video editor.

Do you have McAfee? If so, that has been causing serious problems for Premiere Elements users. But, my thoughts about the Teamviewer were

heading for the firewall(s) primarily but did not exclude the antivirus.

Just hope Adobe tech representative contacts you tonight to get this resolved. He seems to be the closest to a solution since with his Teamviewer the problem does not exist or is masked.

Best wishes for success

ATR

• 26. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                                            rachelbthatsme

Hi I am having this problem too with Premiere 15 on Windows 7. I have tried to follow the advice given here:

"

From Start, go to Search, and type in "baddriver," without the quotation marks, and Search the entire C:\. The file should show up. Now, you may have to change some settings in your Control Panel>Folder Options>View Tab, to "Show hidden files and folders," and I would also check "Display the contents of system folders," and uncheck "Hide extenstions for known types," and "Hide protected operating system files."

But when I go to Control Panel there isn't an option "Folder Options". Where will this be hiding, please?

Been at this 2 hours and getting very frustrated. It shouldn't be this hard, should it??

• 27. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                                              rachelbthatsme Level 1

OK, I found the folder and asked to show hidden files. But no items found when i search for baddriver. I'll re-read the posts here to see if anyone else had that problem but please help if you have any ideas.

• 28. Re: Incompatible display driver resulting in blank preview screen
                                                                rachelbthatsme Level 1

Done this bit now, but the baddriver file still not there:

Local Disc C

Program Data - (not Program Files (x86) nor Program Files, but rather Program Data)

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.