9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 7:17 AM by surf1ok

Which PE for loading .mts files directly

surf1ok

Sorry but i couldn't quickly find this answer. I have PE 3.0 and now a JVC Everio that has .mts file extensions. I want to be able to put the card into a reader and be able to load the clips directly from the PE "get media" function. I don't want to convert them first. Which PE vesion do I need to buy or is the most similar to PE 3.0? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Which PE for loading .mts files directly
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The current version, PrE 11, will Import MTS files, just fine. Be sure to Copy over the ENTIRE folder structure from your card to your HDD.

As for earlier versions, I think that PrE 7 was the first version to specifically handle MTS files well, but finding legit, older versions of PrE might prove difficult.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Which PE for loading .mts files directly
            surf1ok Level 1

Thanks for the info. Can you explain a little more about copying the enitre folder to HDD?. I've made many movies with the PE 3.0 so this is going to be new. To get to the .mts files I put the card in the reader, go to my computer, click on Private>AVCHD>BDMV>stream and then the .mts files show up. I thought that if I opened a new project I could select "get media" which would/might? allow me to get to the .mts files and then I could select only the files that I want in my movie since a good portion of the clips may not be usable. Thanks for the help if you can. I had the old version pretty well figured out.

• 3. Re: Which PE for loading .mts files directly
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you just  select files from the card, next time you open Elements and had removed the card meanwhile all clips will be offline.

General practice is to copy the whole card to hdd, the import the files you need into Elements.

But most systems (including my system) will run without any trouble if you only copy te files from the Stream to hdd that you will be needing.

• 4. Re: Which PE for loading .mts files directly
                surf1ok Level 1

Oh now I got it!. Simply copy the folder to my hard drive, then whenever I want to work on the project the files will always be there whether I have the card in the reader or not. Thanks so much. Very much appreciated.

• 5. Re: Which PE for loading .mts files directly
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. If the media files are Imported into a Project from the card, or the camera's HDD, then it will need to be connected to the computer to edit with those files, as Ann points out. If the card is erased, rewritten, or not available, you will get Media Offline, as the link to the files will no longer be valid. With most NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs, and definitely with Premiere, the media files are NOT contained within the Project file - only the links to the location of those files, when Imported. For a little more info on the Project Files, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3392837#3392837

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Which PE for loading .mts files directly
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>explain a little more about copying the enitre folder to HDD

Metadata contained in folder http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015001?tstart=0

• 7. Re: Which PE for loading .mts files directly
                      surf1ok Level 1

Update: Thanks to all who answered. I paid for the upgrade to PE 11 online. Got it downloaded with no issues. Started a new project and got files from the folder that I copied from the card reader. Got the clips right into the timeline no issue. Made some minor editing and now going to try and burn a  DVD. Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Which PE for loading .mts files directly
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thank you for reporting your success.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Which PE for loading .mts files directly
                          surf1ok Level 1

Thanks Bill, Yes I was able to burn to DVD without issue. I did have a freeze up while editing where I lost all my work. Had to reload and then saved more often. Got scared a couple times later because while editing, the preview clips got slow and the play button wouln't work and I would get sound only but the video would stay at same place. I tried double clicking on the clip and then working again in quick view in the timeline and was able to fight off those scary moments. I also actually loaded a 12 minute short movie to youtube and was pleasantly suprised when PE 11 did all the work for me. My main movie I broke into two 30 minute DVDs (part 1 and 2) because I was afraid of the size and the problems that I had with freezing up. When I had PE 3 I made one half of the video and exported it to an AVI file on the hard drive. Then I made the second half and did the same thing. Then I loaded both 30 minute AVI sections into the time line and burned a 1 hour movie. Here I didn't want to convert to keep the original quality but I ended up with two 30 min. DVDs. Any suggestion in the future to make a one hour movie would be great. I didn't see the function export to AVI on PE 11 anyway. Thanks again for the great advice. Kendall